• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laptop motherboard fix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

hey guys... ive been doing a lot of jobs lately where the plug for the power gets messed up. generaly its the solder on the board that cracks and it just needs to be resoldered, but lately ive run into a few where the plug itself is damaged. i normaly run to the local electronics part store, but they dont have all the right ones. where is a good place to find these things? what is the right way to identify them to make sure you are getting the right one if you are ordering offline (cant exactly size em up and try em out)?

also, have you ever run into solder that just WILL not melt? i have a weller WESD51 iron and i have run the thing up to 650 to try to desolder the part, and it just wont melt enough to pull the solder. im afraid to go any higher for fear of damaging the trace. :-/

Well I'll be, someone has the same problem as me.

The only way I found to get the exact same part is to buy a junk one off ebay and use it for parts. What I did was make a pigtail. I just soldered wires out and put a connector on the other end. It's not pretty but it works.

Here is a pick of what I did.
http://www.clintdavis.us/wp-content/laptop3.jpg

As for solder not melting, I've never had that problem.

that definately works, but my problem is that i am doing this for customers for the computer shop i work at. nobody around here is really putting much into trying to find these things so its up to me. i can't really give a customer a laptop with wires hangin out of it... im ok with riggin' stuff up for myself, but when you are getting paid for it, it seems a bit wrong to leave stuff like that. i guess i just like to be professional.

Back