• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop stuttering when playing games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
83C is pretty hot man, how are your CPU temps under load?

Heat is ussually the issue for quite a few hardware problems.

A GPU can handle 83° without serious performance problems so im actually surprised that this GPU was already causing problems here. It will usualy get critical at around 100°, in laptops probably a bit sooner than that. However, we have to take into account that the measurement might not be very accurate. Just because the big tower geeks are having 2 slot coolers and 60-70° temperature doesnt mean that it is invalid to have even more. Myself is going up to 85° and the 6950 can even handle 90°+ without any problems at all and even OC.

As for the temps, most laptops hover around 80C at load when the GPU and CPU are both working. They commonly share a heatpipe, so all the heat is being dumped into one tiny heatsink. P95 only bring my CPU on my laptop to 65C. If i start up some sort of 3D game, it can get as high as 83C.

Ah yeah, that is indeed a issue, not for the GPU but when the CPU is sharing the same heat, and the CPU will be at a critical level at 83°, at maybe 85° the laptop will shut down, but not because of the GPU, its because the CPU is now at a critical condition. However, that issue only apply to laptop and not to SFF PCs or huge towers with separated cooling. Surely not perfect because a GPU can handle more heat than a CPU and if you want to OC a GPU then it should never share the same sink, however, laptops cant OC anyway.

The stuttering wasnt caused by the GPU, it doesnt mind that heat, believe me. The thing which did probably happen is that the CPU was downclocking and in that term the GPU was affected aswell because Assassins Creed makes massive use of the CPU. When it stops working then the FPS will be very unstable. Remember, CPU and GPU are working as a team, no one works without the other part, such as male and female.

Last edited:
How old is this laptop? It's odd that that much dust built up that fast. Do you live in the desert? :p

Glad you got it sorted out though :)

Well that's the strange thing. My laptop is not even 6 months old. I would have thought that it had dust and hair after a year or 2, but not 6 months. And no, I don't live by the desert, but there's a lot of dust from a nearby intercity street.

A GPU can handle 83° without serious performance problems so im actually surprised that this GPU was already causing problems here. It will usualy get critical at around 100°, in laptops probably a bit sooner than that. However, we have to take into account that the measurement might not be very accurate. Just because the big tower geeks are having 2 slot coolers and 60-70° temperature doesnt mean that it is invalid to have even more. Myself is going up to 85° and the 6950 can even handle 90°+ without any problems at all and even OC.

Ah yeah, that is indeed a issue, not for the GPU but when the CPU is sharing the same heat, and the CPU will be at a critical level at 83°, at maybe 85° the laptop will shut down, but not because of the GPU, its because the CPU is now at a critical condition. However, that issue only apply to laptop and not to SFF PCs or huge towers with separated cooling. Surely not perfect because a GPU can handle more heat than a CPU and if you want to OC a GPU then it should never share the same sink, however, laptops cant OC anyway.

The stuttering wasnt caused by the GPU, it doesnt mind that heat, believe me. The thing which did probably happen is that the CPU was downclocking and in that term the GPU was affected aswell because Assassins Creed makes massive use of the CPU. When it stops working then the FPS will be very unstable. Remember, CPU and GPU are working as a team, no one works without the other part, such as male and female.

I see that Assassin's Creed is a very demanding game, but what about League of Legends? It isn't nearly half as demanding, but had the same stuttering ratio.

Its hard to say for me because i do not own that game and am not able to watch the hardware load on the processors. In term that game is in any way linked to Blizzard, since its a part of "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" then it may most likely share a similiar engine such as the other Blizzard games. And i do know Blizzard games and can say that they have a very hard CPU demand but they are more gentle on the GPU than other games, but i cant say with 100% confidence as long as i wasnt able to personally test.

One is for sure, a CPU is able to handle lesser heat than a GPU, thats pretty much a standart rule because the CPU architecture is more sharded into many different sectors, that means that the heat can be pretty uneven, and therefore its easyer to cause a wound spot of heat development.
http://www.pcmasters.de/hardware/review/intel-mit-333-ghz-quadcore-fuer-den-mobilen-einsatz.html

While a GPU is made with houndred of stream processors, called SPUs and isnt having so much different parts such as a CPU. That means it can handle more heat because the heat is spreaded more even and therefore there isnt many weak spots.
http://hubpages.com/hub/NVIDIA-GPU-architecture-presents-Fermi

Last edited:
Back