• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop WiFi Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowhawk109

Hey all -

My laptop - HP Laptop in my sig (all neatly spec'd out there for you) no longer is able to use it's wifi card. It's supposed to get 801.11g but...Device Manager doesn't list it, and a Command Prompt ipconfig doesn't list it either. It used to work!

How can I fix this? I tried going on the HP site and there are no wifi card drivers that I could find. And yes, I did try googling.

Thanks!

-Shadowhawk

If the wifi card is not defective then the wifi function in bios is disabled. It won't show in device manager.

If it is intel card then you could get drivers from intel.

I tried installing the Broadcom drivers that HP -eventually- linked me up with. No dice. Tried flashing and updating BIOS, as the one that was on said laptop had no mentioning of wifi, thusly it could not enable or disable. No dice.

SO I talked to HP some more, and I was on the last day of my warranty (thank God) so we shipped it off to tech support. It came back with "a repaired systems board." Thusly I am under the impression that the wireless card fried or something as it now works fine.

BUT. The HP Tech Support installed some kind of nVidia Boot Manager that does NOTHING. Except slow down boot times, as it looks for some kind of system disk, can't find it, and then switches to the Windows Vista boot manager (I dual-boot Vista and XP on it, installed Vista second, thusly use the Vista boot manager).

I don't like this nVidia Boot Manager. It does nothing. Except slow me down. How do I get rid of it, preferably without screwing up my MBR?

Back