• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptops.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
geek2005 said:
I don't overclock because it seems useless. Why risk any potential damages(as well as voiding the warranty) just for a slight increase? You could probably get the same speed increase by spending $30 more on a processor. Considering I've seen people spend $100 in cooling fans just since it was overclocked.

If you mean Overclocking in general, many people overclock for the sheer fun of it, as well as for perfomance gains. In my case I gained an easy 266MHz on each CPU in my rig, and it cost me one small battery. :D

People with higher end stuff often reach speeds you can't buy - eg those running 4.5GHz+ Pentium4 systems.

geek2005 said:
I don't overclock because it seems useless. Why risk any potential damages(as well as voiding the warranty) just for a slight increase? You could probably get the same speed increase by spending $30 more on a processor. Considering I've seen people spend $100 in cooling fans just since it was overclocked.
For many the potential gains, far outweigh the minimal risk.

Well, my 1700+, running at 2.5 GHZ, is certainly an example of that.

But, it's not a laptop.

steve

David said:
People with higher end stuff often reach speeds you can't buy - eg those running 4.5GHz+ Pentium4 systems.

I have had faster than money can buy 3 times now...
So like david said, alot of it is just for fun, and alot saves you money.
As when you overclock a $300 CPU to the speed of a $700 CPU and it only cost you $100 for cooling, that is worth it IMHO.

What can they do about the content of the front page when there is no content? There's nothing of significance I couldn't do today if I'd gotten a 1.8A P4 way back in 2002! Hyperthreading is a joke, 64-bit won't work on 50% of current hardware, and there's no software for it. Dual cores are insanely expensive, and also suffer the software problem. Those who want dual cpus have had them since 2003.

So what is there to talk about?

Well, suddenly, there's this little laptop cpu with low power consumption, excellent performance, and serious overclockability. And barebone laptops that offer some good features at a reasonable price.

Granted, this does not excuse random laptop reviews with no overclocking.

But dang, what else is there to talk about? :shrug:

Back