• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large Difference in Core Temps Under Load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchunter

New i7-6700k with Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler shows 15 deg temperature difference between core1 (82 deg) and core3 (67 deg) under load (old prime 95). The other cores are in between at 77 and 78 deg. The 6700 is over clocked at 4.6 GHz. At idle, the temperature differences are 1 - 2 deg.

Should I be concerned about this large difference in core temps under load?

Clean and reapply the TIM used and see what you get. Make sure you use the rice method and when tightening using a cross pattern.

OK, what should I do differently? I had used Arctic Silver and scrupulously followed their method, which advises pre-coating the heat sink base with TIM to fill in gaps between the exposed tubes and the block. It also advises thinly precoating the chip top before laying down a 1mm wide line of TIM down the center of the chip.

New i7-6700k with Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler shows 15 deg temperature difference between core1 (82 deg) and core3 (67 deg) under load (old prime 95). The other cores are in between at 77 and 78 deg. The 6700 is over clocked at 4.6 GHz. At idle, the temperature differences are 1 - 2 deg.

Should I be concerned about this large difference in core temps under load?

2 Things:
1. Get a NH-D14 cooler (space willing), I would say get what I have (V6GT) but it's not made anymore. It's better to have more cooling than not enough :thup:
2. See if your BIOS has multipliers for each core and check to see if they are all set to same multiplier, I built a i5 4670K system for a friend and the cores was not all set to the same multiplier setting.

See if your BIOS has multipliers for each core and check to see if they are all set to same multiplier, I built a i5 4670K system for a friend and the cores was not all set to the same multiplier setting.
I used the Intel Extreme Tuner for over clocking and have not messed with the bios yet. It is stock, as delivered, gigabyte ga-z170xp-sli. This bios does not seem to allow separate multipliers on the cores.

EDIT: I found separate multiplier controls. Turbo Boost is set on Auto, which has set core1 multiplier 2 higher than the others. This may explain why core1 is 4-5 deg hotter. We may be on to something here!

Last edited:
I found with my CM 212 the best way to get an even spread on the TIM was to put a line of Tim on each of the 2 inner heatpipes, like said above about the size of a grain of rice. You don't need to also coat the cpu, doing so will usually lead to, too much Tim applied and also air bubbles.

I use the "X" method on the chip and check the footprint to be sure it's not overspreading. Haven't missed my target yet ;)

I do have to say, I need to do something about my temps tho. regardless of TIM application, running at a steady 75c for cpu, package at 78c, cannot be healthy for the system, *had run that way for 2 weeks, got tired of room being at 90f, so back at stock now*

Anyway, back to OP, Noctua sounds good for you *and me*

And yes ED, air bubbles.........
Not that any method is going to truly eliminate all air bubbles, tiny ones will always be in the TIM substrate.

Your method is the worst, actually, for air bubbles if you looked at the video. ;)

There is no need to swap heatsinks out to resolve this issue (that's now two people that said it!?)..:screwy:

That was a ton of paste, even for that huge 2011 chip.

I honestly think that was almost enough for two chips. lol!

Nonetheless, I like her and have seen her other reviews on products. I would just recommend her on getting better expert advise next time.

Back