• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Large Difference in Core Temps Under Load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK Guys,
I redid the TIM using the single dot method (no pre-spreading). I elongated the dot slightly (1/4") in the direction of a visible rough area in the heat sink base. Curiously, this method does not seem to have changed the core temperature profile under load. After a day of break in, Old Prime95, after 5 minutes yields:
core1 - 82 deg,
core2 - 78 deg,
core3 - 67 deg, and
core4 - 73 deg.
Still a 15 deg difference between cores 1 and 3.

I can only speculate that core 3 must have near zero mfg defects and the others are probably average.

What do you guys think?

Im not sure about your theory (mfg defects), but I do know that the problem could be with the TIM spread below the IHS. You may be a good candidate for a delid, reapplication of TIM, and reapply IHS to see if things even out.

This is what I got on the Intel system I built for my friend, Prime 95 for 6 hours with all cores set to same multiplier. Set the multipliers to same setting.

6hours.jpg

Here is what it looks like :rofl:
DSCN0620.JPG
DSCN0623.JPG

Last edited:
Oh well...I was just guessing from the GPU shroud thing. Cats always find the most awkward places to sit....and love boxes of all kinds

Look at the 2nd pic, I removed the shroud, my friend I built this for did not get a GPU, he wanted to use onboard GPU.

Back