• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

larrymoencurly's Discussion of Greater than DDR3-1600 RAM Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Group experience vs one person with a different POV on the matter. The collective experience in years is far greater then the one person. When going against the grain your going to need 3rd party data to back you for others.

Everyone in short is posting the same thing over and over on both sides. Until there is something with more meat I don see why more posts keep taking place. I'm sure those reading don't like threads that go no where.

:popcorn:

I am finding this debate very intriguing...

I still don't get what all the fuss is about I have owned at least 10 kits of ram and never had an issue.

:popcorn:

I am finding this debate very intriguing...

I still don't get what all the fuss is about I have owned at least 10 kits of ram and never had an issue.

Out of the last 100 or so sticks I have bought for myself or a build for somebody else I have had one bad stick. About 1% :)

G.Skill RipJaws 1333.

I started with DIP Chip memory and never had bad in the old days either, 30 pin? Nope no problem. Then the FP, EDO, SDRAM.., DDR, DDR2, DDR3 Nope. And when I started you had to buy memory for everything, even your video cards (yes I did add memory to my video card to get 16M colors @ 1024). Hell I still have old COAST modules around.

So if we really look at this thing from that point I have had much less than a 1% failure rate.

Last edited:
Group experience vs one person with a different POV on the matter. The collective experience in years is far greater than the one person. When going against the grain your going to need 3rd party data to back you for others.
But the statements expressed by that one person agree much more with advice of the electrical engineers, the manufacturers of the memory chips, and the manufacturers of memory testing machines (both the cheap and expensive machines). Also the much larger and more experienced collective body here hasn't provided evidence that's overwhelmingly more valid, and the evidence from both sides of this debate is anecdotal or unvalidated numbers.

Also the much larger and more experienced collective body here hasn't provided evidence that's overwhelmingly more valid, and the evidence from both sides of this debate is anecdotal or unvalidated numbers.

I literally just wrote an essay on the quote "That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."

The conclusion?
It's a pointless debate that's wasting the time of everyone involved.

*cough*.

:shrug:

Out of the last 100 or so sticks I have bought for myself or a build for somebody else I have had one bad stick. About 1% :)

G.Skill RipJaws 1333.

I started with DIP Chip memory and never had bad in the old days either, 30 pin? Nope no problem. Then the FP, EDO, SDRAM.., DDR, DDR2, DDR3 Nope. And when I started you had to buy memory for everything, even your video cards (yes I did add memory to my video card to get 16M colors @ 1024). Hell I still have old COAST modules around.

So if we really look at this thing from that point I have had much less than a 1% failure rate.
But in the days of DIPs and 30-pin SIMMs, almost all the memory was branded, except for BrainPower parity generators. But when DIMMs became dominant, a lot of no-name chips started to appear on modules, and that's when I started to get many more failures.

But in the days of DIPs and 30-pin SIMMs, almost all the memory was branded, except for BrainPower parity generators. But when DIMMs became dominant, a lot of no-name chips started to appear on modules, and that's when I started to get many more failures.

Are you running it in spec? Are you getting bargain basement and open box stuff?

I have been working with this stuff since I was a teen and I just don't see it LMC. I understand your issues with the 1333@2133 but I explained that as the actual specs for the chip may differ it is a speed rating. If chips came with an SPD set at 2400 many boards would not recognize them as it is not JEDEC. Early fast chips were not JEDEC at higher speeds and neither are the fastest new ones. They said 1800 and 1866 but they were not spec as JEDEC had not made a spec for 1866 yet.

Back