• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

larrymoencurly's Discussion of Greater than DDR3-1600 RAM Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LMC's & LMC's enginers basically want their ram built for the specific use they're putting it to. That if they're going to put ddr3 1333, 1.5V, 9-9-9-27 latency ram into their PC, they want ram specifically built to that specification. Not some piece of 1086 ram overclocked to 1333. That would fit an engineer's low tolerance right part of the right job mindset to a tee.

The problem is, there are plenty of ram chips which come factory overclocked to higher specs then originally designed. These chips function perfectly reliably at those higher clocks, and perform identically to those chips specifically and factory fabricated for those clocks. Pretty much all of the technicians on this site (and that's what most of us are, technicians) see no problem using a chip of ram which will work reliably as advertized, regardless of wether it's been designed specifically for that task or not.
I'd have no problem with factory overclocked RAM chips if they hadn't averaged much higher failure rates. Also if overclocked chips that have passed the module makers' tests really are just as good, why don't those companies ever use them on their modules where the full part numbers of the chips are visible?

1. You still have not presented any evidence that factory overclocked sticks have a higher failure rate, except your own personal experience.

2. Are the majority of people going to buy sticks with heatsinks or without heatsinks? With obviously, it looks better. That is a 100% practical business decision.

They're not >99% good, and that's the point.
You are welcome to support your assertion. I appreciate sharing your experiences but its going to take more than that to go against conventional wisdom if only for having a larger data set it to draw from.

Oh well, aznanime put it quite more eloquently than I ever could.

1. You still have not presented any evidence that factory overclocked sticks have a higher failure rate, except your own personal experience.

2. Are the majority of people going to buy sticks with heatsinks or without heatsinks? With obviously, it looks better. That is a 100% practical business 1decision.

1. I don't have the kind of formal data that might be the only kind you'd find acceptable, and neither do you or anyone else here.

2. It seems to be a 100% appeal to vanity. But again, explain why all the factory overclocked modules are those with heatsinks or unbranded chips, never those with bare, branded chips. I'm sure that's a 100% practical business decision, too.

You are making a claim against generally accepted knowledge without formal data. On the other hand, we are backing up generally accepted knowledge and do have formal data (the failure rates have been quoted earlier in this thread). That is the main issue here, and frankly I believe this ends the debate.

For #2, again, formal data to back up the claim, or this thread is pointless.

There're a ton of low performance RAM modules with heatsinks too. I don't see a heatsink conspiracy here personally.
You don't see high performance RAM without heatsinks often (ever?). Would you care to point some out? If none of the high end RAM comes without heatsinks, it's pretty obviously some other reason. Maybe because people who spend money on fast RAM like it to look cool!?

This thread was rendered pointless pages ago, logically speaking. Humoring illogical backup-free arguments is the only reason it's hit page 6.
Eventually we'll all get tired of offering logic and data to counter a lack of it, and the thread will die.

1. I don't have the kind of formal data that might be the only kind you'd find acceptable, and neither do you or anyone else here.
Yes however you are the one trying to make a point with no DATA.

2. It seems to be a 100% appeal to vanity. But again, explain why all the factory overclocked modules are those with heatsinks or unbranded chips, never those with bare, branded chips. I'm sure that's a 100% practical business decision, too.

There is vary little selection with retail DDR3 without heatsinks, FACT.

There is vary little selection with retail DDR3 without heatsinks, FACT.

very true. Something I know from experience. I've been doing an exhaustive search for performance ddr3 ram which comes sans heatsink, largely because I want to add my own heatsink (it's an aesthetic and practical choice).

The only ddr3 ram that comes without a heatsink are low performance "workstation" ram.

what about the samsung low profile ram it overclocks like a beast and doesnt have any heatsinks, granted i dont think theres many heatsinks that would fit on them because they are so short.

This thread was rendered pointless pages ago, logically speaking. Humoring illogical backup-free arguments is the only reason it's hit page 6.
Eventually we'll all get tired of offering logic and data to counter a lack of it, and the thread will die.
:thup:

We have done all we can with the data we have.

Last edited:
what about the samsung low profile ram it overclocks like a beast and doesnt have any heatsinks, granted i dont think theres many heatsinks that would fit on them because they are so short.

The Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP has a flat heat spreader that does not do much either. Freaking sticks are shorter than the clips:

short.JPG

They will make 2133 but heat up a little doing it.

very true. Something I know from experience. I've been doing an exhaustive search for performance ddr3 ram which comes sans heatsink, largely because I want to add my own heatsink (it's an aesthetic and practical choice).

The only ddr3 ram that comes without a heatsink are low performance "workstation" ram.

unboxed.jpg

Here are some high performance RAM DIMMs without heatsinks. To be honest I have not tried to wade through the deep "stuff" in this thread, but from what little I have managed to read I have gleaned that LMC has concerns that many RAM manufacturers sell lower rated RAM labeled as higher speed. This SAMSUNG 30 nm RAM however is the opposite of that, they are sold labeled as mediocre performing RAM and actually will run at insane speeds.

Yep, bmwbaxter reviewed them for us over a year ago now. Great sticks for the money, absolutely. No one is or really should ever dispute that. It's great memory.

LMC's concern is that manufacturers take those Samsung ICs (and Hynix ICs) and rate them higher than 1600 (i.e. as high as 2600+). Everyone else says it doesn't matter, because they'll run the speed at which they're rated, or you can RMA them on the rare occasion they don't, rendering his entire point, well...pointless. He disagrees. Then round & round we go.

Important side note - This thread was created by me as an off-shoot of discussion in other threads. LMC likes to take this discussion and have it within threads where other, generally newer, members are asking simple questions. Rather than continue to confuse new members with his singular point of view, I moved one of those discussion threads (which also generally continue to go round, totally confusing people newer to overclocking and/or building computers) here into its own thread. So to those saying this thread doesn't have a purpose, it most definitely serves a purpose - to keep this trainwreck OUT of other people's threads who don't need to be confused by it.

Yep, bmwbaxter reviewed them for us over a year ago now. Great sticks for the money, absolutely. No one is or really should ever dispute that. It's great memory.

LMC's concern is that manufacturers take those Samsung ICs (and Hynix ICs) and rate them higher than 1600 (i.e. as high as 2600+). Everyone else says it doesn't matter, because they'll run the speed at which they're rated, or you can RMA them on the rare occasion they don't, rendering his entire point, well...pointless. He disagrees. Then round & round we go.

Important side note - This thread was created by me as an off-shoot of discussion in other threads. LMC likes to take this discussion and have it within threads where other, generally newer, members are asking simple questions. Rather than continue to confuse new members with his singular point of view, I moved one of those discussion threads (which also generally continue to go round, totally confusing people newer to overclocking and/or building computers) here into its own thread. So to those saying this thread doesn't have a purpose, it most definitely serves a purpose - to keep this trainwreck OUT of other people's threads who don't need to be confused by it.

It also gives some of us a chance to get our geek on.

wow... didn't know that ram existed. love it. fits what I'm looking for and the price is perfect.

I see that you are in Phoenix. Cave Creek here. Last time I checked FRY's still has this stuff in stock, many other retailer's are sold out. I paid $38 for my first 8 GB about a year ago, and $40 for the other, but the price has now risen a bit. I think you will pay around $50/8GB if you can find some in stock today.

Back