• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

last thing. Where do I get my 8800GT 512 SC drivers/apps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I've got a link here and at nvidia to "correctly" install the latest Forceware video card drivers (after you find & dl it) for a 8800GT512 (mine is Evga SC). It may involve searching folders, deleting, renaming, etc. which leads to this question. I have finally installed my new pooter together and I have basic minimal video drivers (it says 8 bit vga, prob one or two driver files!), meaning not much to do wrt the above (exhaustive) proceedure.

I have the Evga disk(s) that came with the card (NO CRISIS: nothing). I am not sure if these drivers are "Forceware" drivers, which I could uninstall after &/or re-install to get the latest dl. The reason I would do that is to get whatever else goodies may be on these Evga disk(s): to see; who knows, there could be a temp monitor app or something. Then theres the sw to control clocks, like a RivaTuner-type thing from the Evga disk(s), if ther is such a thing.

Note: My card is the Superclocked version, meaning 650/1900/1620/ so any controls to overclock are not important immediately, and the HR-03 GT 92 fan is essentially from a molex (via ctrlr), NOT from the header on the vid card. This I have disabled all auto updates in Vista, and have all other things done. This is it. And this is the big one. So what to do? Do I/ will I go directly to Rivatuner and latest Forceware ignoring the Evga, or go through the Evga disk(s) stuff first?

btw I've been going all day w/o seeing my vid card temps (for that matter cpu since I left BIOS). Where should I start that'll let me see 'em? Will I Everest, or is it still good ol' Sandra? boo hoo for mbm5 in Vista 32! I've never had a vid card temp sensor (so don't know if mbm5 could map temp3 to it!-daamn)

Last edited:
according to CP, System, Display Aaptors, Standard VGA Gaphics Adaptor, Properties, Driver, Driver Details:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\vgapnp.sys

is all there is. Now what to do with "its". Now "its" is only an it. What I did learn befoe was that I could delete all of "its" and I would still see whats going on - I wouldn't lose graphics!

I am lazy and don't want to research all this again. So can I just (use my own technique: either delete it; or move & rename it)? Then get and do Forceware then RT? Of course I'm gonna hafta half-research anyways to find out about reboots etc, but....

This is the detailed version. Post #3

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=33&t=46172&st=0#entry252622

I like it b/c it handles the Windows Update problem (for all components). Not sure if this is something that ever goes away. But it also specifically gives a never update (vid) driver again question/answer option. This option I have not seen anywhere else.

Last edited:
RT temp is 33C, no gaming yet.

I did the F8 safe mode boot, but since I had no Windowws Update (it would say it in plain english) or other previous drivers (eg Forceware), there was nowhere to go down, so it re-booted w/ the same drivers, and no update driver questions.

btw my only attempt at finding mobo and cpu temps were like 9/10/12 cpu and 17/25 Celcius mobo, form ASUS BIOS. What gives? Now I think its 10/25 (C) cpu/mobo. Sandra, Everest, or what: that's what I'm off googling now.

AND, does Vista 32 RF come with any anti-virus or do I nned to do AVG too?

Last edited:
Back