• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

leaving water cooling to air because air is quieter !(help me plz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pic 1: I wired BOTH PSU fans into my fan controller...
Pic 2: I cut a hole in my mobo so I mount/unmount my WB without removing my mobo. It also helps remove heat.
Pic 3: I put my chevette core above my PSU.
Pic 4: In progress pic that shows how the heater-core sits above the PSU.
Pic 5: Finished! However, the hose later leaked at the center barb of my WW, killing my 9800pro :( And yes, I DID have a hose clamp on that hose!!!! Also, I know I could've used less tubing, but this way it's easy to unbolt the WB and make changes to the mount, CPU, etc...

MLMIB said:
so you don't wc the psu anymore? also, anyone know why my temps are so high?
Never have WC'd my PSU...

Your temps are high because of your heatercore placement, fan choice and most of all, your pump. My temps looked identical to yours when I had those evercool fans and my L30. When I switched to my MCP600, my temps dropped about 15c! I now run in the high 30's to mid-40's depending on ambient temps, and this is with my rig dead-silent. Right now I'm at 42c and my ambient is 29c... In the morning I was at 49c proc and 36c ambient.

BTW, the ambient temps are accurate. I have a thermometer in my room and it confirms what my computer is reading -5f.

The HC needs to breath!

The three fans in the back, are they on a reobus? Those 80mms are killing you...

Any padding under the Eheim? They are silent if the vibrations are isolated from the case.

Follow Cyrix's expample and quiet down the PSU, again 80mm fans are killing you.

The tubbing could use to be shortened.

What is the coolant mixture made of? Looks like there is alot of addative in there.

well I disconnected the fans in the back to see how that would help with the noise and there was no audiable difference, so I just leave them in to help(the black one that looks weird is over the mosfets to help keep them cool, I used to get weird restarts over the mosfets overheating)

where else can I put the rad? I could get 2 of those small 80 mm rads and put them where those 2 fans in the back are(it's not a full server size, so I dont' have a spot over the psu) but I don't see any other spot to stick the rad(I would like to over fall break cut out most of the metal in the front to let better air in, but I can't do that now(maybe I can, talkin to a friend about it, will that help?) when I cut most of the tubing I needed it that long to make the bends w/o kinking. any idea's to the above?

I would like to over fall break cut out most of the metal in the front to let better air in, but I can't do that now

Yea thats what you gotta do, even with silent air a low restriction 120 in there is gonna make all the difference.

I disconnected the fans in the back to see how that would help with the noise and there was no audiable difference

Once you get those rad fans on a reobus and get the restriction away from them you should start to hear the rear ones, by then there is no reason to not throw them on the reobus as well.

when I cut most of the tubing I needed it that long to make the bends w/o kinking

I bet you can think of some better ways to route the tubbing, I know I think of something every time I put my system together again, just gotta look and see what you can do, maybe the pictures decive me though.

What is the coolant mixture made of? Looks like there is alot of addative in there.

Any padding under the Eheim? They are silent if the vibrations are isolated from the case.

I know it sound like I am just bugging you with details but its alot easier than re-doing the whole thing.

MLMIB said:
well I disconnected the fans in the back to see how that would help with the noise and there was no audiable difference, so I just leave them in to help(the black one that looks weird is over the mosfets to help keep them cool, I used to get weird restarts over the mosfets overheating)

where else can I put the rad? I could get 2 of those small 80 mm rads and put them where those 2 fans in the back are(it's not a full server size, so I dont' have a spot over the psu) but I don't see any other spot to stick the rad(I would like to over fall break cut out most of the metal in the front to let better air in, but I can't do that now(maybe I can, talkin to a friend about it, will that help?) when I cut most of the tubing I needed it that long to make the bends w/o kinking. any idea's to the above?
Yeah, cut the metal out of the front and GET A RHEOBUS... That will be a BIG improvement.

To make the bends tighter, use zip ties.

lol, no prob, forgot about those...

the coolant is for the most part(well, what you see) 18 months old, from my first mix. ever since I first started it never came clear like all the pics I see, anyway, it's just that old yellow anti corosive stuff from dtek with some .... yellow dye in it I think. I've emptied it once since than, but I guess some of the old stuff was still in the pump(it was evident once I started it back up) I added a bit more to make sure my stuff wouldn't gunk up.

the eheim sits on a paper towel which has been stopping vibrations, the eheim dosn't make much noise

rerouting tubing

Hey MLMIB,

Looks like I have the same case as you, but I have a slightly different WC setup. I have a Via 1300 pump, with a Maze3 block and only 1 120x38 fan on my Chevette HC and 2 80mm case fans all running at the lowest setting on my fan controller. I had my pump set in the case just like yours, with the input barb facing the HC and the output barb facing up. I had the same long loops as yours to get the tubes where they needed to go. Here is how it looked then:

Im000769.jpg

Board member MameXP suggested I stand my pump on end to shorten my tubing runs. This allowed me to cut over 14 inches of tubing out of my systems and made airflow a bit better in the case. So now my input barb faces up to reciev the water coming back from the Maze3 and the pump's output barb is pointing towards the input tube on the HC. Here is what the system looks like now:

wc_rebuild2.jpg

You can see how much less tubing is in the system. I can't say it made a huge difference in my temps, but my case looks a lot less cluttered. :)

My system is fairly quiet, not silent though. I am seeing idle temps of 37-38C and load temps at 48-50c. This system runs 24/7 in my basement at home and my wife never complains about the noise (it sits right next to the TV room), so it is is obviously quiet enough. :)

As the others suggested, you should definitely get a fan contoller and try running the fans at low speed and see what that does to your temps and noise level. Just curious .... is that 51C CPU temp at load?

okay, can't stand the pump on end like that, it's already pinched and wedged under my tv tuner, I'd like to get a fan controller, but do they make them for floppy drive bay area's? 'cause thats the only spot I got free, I run my pump's plug out through an empy 5 1/2 (I guess I could switch it so the cord runs through the floppy bay area.... if need be, I just pulled a hd out(again, to cut noise)) hmmm, well I run full load 24/7(fold), but I'll cut the front out and see if that helps, any advice for a fan controller?

MLMIB said:
okay, can't stand the pump on end like that, it's already pinched and wedged under my tv tuner, I'd like to get a fan controller, but do they make them for floppy drive bay area's? 'cause thats the only spot I got free, I run my pump's plug out through an empy 5 1/2 (I guess I could switch it so the cord runs through the floppy bay area.... if need be, I just pulled a hd out(again, to cut noise)) hmmm, well I run full load 24/7(fold), but I'll cut the front out and see if that helps, any advice for a fan controller?
Yes they do have 3 1/2" bay controllers, but I recommend you stick with the 5 1/4" controllers... Just run the pump cord through the 3 1/2" bay, or better yet, splice the cord into the PSU.

There is no way aircooling can be as quiet as water. I've tried and spent hundreds of dollars on so called "quiet" cases/fans/psus etc.. Just a 60mm fan off a 9800pro makes more noise than my whole system combined.

How? I only have 2 120's at 5volts in my whole system and still overclock moderate.

Decide whats making the noise and eliminate it. Do so by 5 or 7 volting fans or eliminating them all together.

My rec is 5 volts the two rear 80's, get a silverstone 120mm fanned 460W PSU and 7 volts some new of these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-032&depa=0

The quietest fans you can buy at that volts.

Last edited:
BeerHunter said:
There is no way aircooling can be as quiet as water. I've tried and spent hundreds of dollars on so called "quiet" cases/fans/psus etc.. Just a 60mm fan off a 9800pro makes more noise than my whole system combined.

How? I only have 2 120's at 5volts in my whole system and still overclock moderate.

Decide whats making the noise and eliminate it. Do so by 5 or 7 volting fans or eliminating them all together.

My rec is 5 volts the two rear 80's, get a seasonic 120mm fanned 460W PSU and 7 volts some new of these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-032&depa=0

The quietest fans you can buy at that volts.
My 9800pro's stock fan like tripled how loud my system was! Right now I'm on a passivly cooled GF2 MX and the pump makes more noise than the rest of the system, followed my the hard drive, followed by nothing since there are no other moving parts...

Cyrix_2k said:
My 9800pro's stock fan like tripled how loud my system was! Right now I'm on a passivly cooled GF2 MX and the pump makes more noise than the rest of the system, followed my the hard drive, followed by nothing since there are no other moving parts...
Here's an old pic of my rig but you can see how quiet it would be only having two fan.
Rev_1.jpg
As for pump, I found 99.9999% of peoples pump noise is from vibration. either impellor or case vibration. There are impellor mods you can do, even to the ehiems, probably the most quiet pump in the world.. Case vibration is solved either by elastic suspension of pump or setting it on foam.

Well, you can unplug the 'pushing' 120mm fan, because push/pull does almost nothing to your temps. Definitely mod the front of the case, and fan control the 120mm's. That'll drop your volume nicely.

Etacovda said:
Well, you can unplug the 'pushing' 120mm fan, because push/pull does almost nothing to your temps. Definitely mod the front of the case, and fan control the 120mm's. That'll drop your volume nicely.
I wouldn't unplug the fan... It really does drop temps (atleast it did with me...) alot when running low fan speeds.

Back