• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

leaving water cooling to air because air is quieter !(help me plz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
BeerHunter said:
Here's an old pic of my rig but you can see how quiet it would be only having two fan.
Rev_1.jpg
As for pump, I found 99.9999% of peoples pump noise is from vibration. either impellor or case vibration. There are impellor mods you can do, even to the ehiems, probably the most quiet pump in the world.. Case vibration is solved either by elastic suspension of pump or setting it on foam.
Nice... The only problem I might see with your setup noise wise would be the HDD... Even the quiet ones make too much noise for me. I personally have a 40gb Maxtor with the Fluid bearing stuff and I can STILL hear the stupid thing. I really need to build a foam box around my hard drive and pump to get rid of the noise.

Where is your HDD in that pic? I don't see it... Also, is the NB passivlly cooled?

::edit:: My NB fan's making all the noise... NOT the HDD!!! Time to mod :mad: :mad: :mad:

hey cyrix, the seagate barracuda IV or V series are super quiet, i have them in my HTPC. You can't hardly hear those things.

MLMIB, your case seem too cluttered. i would suggest going to 3/8 hosing, it's smaller and i don't think there's too much difference. What's your CPU type, intel or AMD? 51 is really high IMO.

ketchup318 said:
hey cyrix, the seagate barracuda IV or V series are super quiet, i have them in my HTPC. You can't hardly hear those things.

MLMIB, your case seem too cluttered. i would suggest going to 3/8 hosing, it's smaller and i don't think there's too much difference. What's your CPU type, intel or AMD? 51 is really high IMO.
Exactly cyrix^^^

The cuda4 was the quietest desktop HD of all time, too bad they don't make them anymore.:( that's whats in that system. Now either the samsung spin points or cuda 5's are best but still too loud for my taste. Notebook drives are what you need now.

ketchup318 said:

Looks like MLMIB has a P4... And you raised a good point about the clutter-ness of his case. It would help temps, and possibly noise levels too, if MLMIB cleaned up the inside of his case. (And don't say it's not possible... I jammed 2 CD-ROMs, 2 HDD's, my AIW 9800PRO, PSU, Water-cooling w/ bay-res, fan controller and a 4x20 character LCD into a mid-tower case and made it look good too.)

@ketchup and beerhunter: I heard the cuda 4's were quiet... I may pick up one when I get some money (that could take a while...) because I'm running out of space on this drive. Right now I think I'm just going to build a foam box around the pump and my maxtor so it will quiet things down, though I do need to replace the HSF with a HS on my NB first...

@BeerHunter: I'm not willing to go to a laptop drive yet due to speed issues.

Yes I have the Zalman NB HS on both my mobos. Cost about $6. Wish I would have gotten the DFI ultra infinity instead of NF7-S because it already has a passive NB... oh well...Live and learn:)

Anyway I don't think you want to foam any drive because it will burn up the drive. Foam is a temperature insulator. What you need is a smartdrive 2000. All it is is thick metal which encapsulates the hardisk and fit in a 5.25" bay. This makes HD's silent, a bit expensive, but works on the principle of barrier loading to silent a drive.

If you just sit the hdd on some foam and have a 5V fan blowing over it then its pretty darn quiet.

ok, so I can clean the wires up when I finish messin with everythiing, I read that the drop in temps is significant when you switch to 3/8ths. yea it's a p4 temps with the first fan off(for a day now) is 53-53.5 when the room is semi cool. tommorrow or wend. I'll cut the front, ditch the front fan, 'n try to cable tie, I'll post when it's done, anything else I should add to the list of things to do?

I think you'll find when you quiet down everything else that your psu is loud, especially when under load. I had to mod my Fortron 530W to quiet it.

can you just put chipset blocks where the aluminum ones are and than just replace the current fans with panaflos runnin at 5 volts 'n be fine?

I have undervolted panaflos in mine. Since one of the fans in this psu is 15mm, I had to mount one of the panaflos on the outside of the psu.

pelikan said:
I think you'll find when you quiet down everything else that your psu is loud, especially when under load. I had to mod my Fortron 530W to quiet it.
You'll also find that NB fan and the Vid Card fan to be loud...

okay, cutting out tommorrow(no, it's a p4c) 'n a question. I'm lazy, 'n well, short on time. I just planed on removing all things on sliders, aka bay drives. I'd move the wc loop out a bit, but I really don't want to hafta spend the 2 hours taking it out, 'n putting it back in 'cause frankly I don't have that time. would it be a bad idea to just put a plastic bag taped around to secluede the area I'm cutting(the front bottom of the case) 'n put a paper bag over the rest? will that be enough?

advice quickly please, doin this in....9 hours

Well it can be done if you seal everything REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WELL. Get the point? You really should remove all the electronic components though...

er, well I planned on leavin the mobo in, I guess I'll fiddle for 20 minutes 'n see if I can lift the mobo out w/ the wc still attached, I just don't have the time to sit and wait for the wc loop to do it's whole deal again(air gettin out 'n all)

MLMIB said:
er, well I planned on leavin the mobo in, I guess I'll fiddle for 20 minutes 'n see if I can lift the mobo out w/ the wc still attached, I just don't have the time to sit and wait for the wc loop to do it's whole deal again(air gettin out 'n all)
Run the computer while it's bleeding.... Anyway, you should be able to the water-cooling in, but the pull the mobo out.

just take off the cpu block and leave the rest of the cooling together. Reseating the cpu block shouldnt take long and maybe reaplying the paste carefully will get you a couple of degrees cooler.

already taken care of, cut it 3 hours ago, temps are down 3 degree's, noise is down although there is a vibration(so net gain in noise, but it'll be taken care of). we just pastic baged off the area, had tape all over stick side up to catch it all and compressed air'ed out the entire case afterwords. btw, wondering, on the ic7-e, below the memory slots, are those mosfets too? I thought they were only by the CPU, but those might be the one's trigering the alarm...

Back