• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo D20 Thinkstation watrecooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hooger

Hi,

I just bought and upgraded a Lenovo D20 Workstation with two X5570 CPU's I am using the stock heatsink and fan and I am concerned about the temps, I started to run a benchmark test on it and the temps shot up from an idle of around 107F to 113F to 145F at that point I killed the test, I am really concerned about frying the CPU'S at that temp and was looking at installing a water cooling system to keep these cpu's cool, the problem is there are two cpu's in the case and I have never ventured into the water cooling arena, any help and advice would be appreciated even to the point of non water cooling ie good traditional cooling for this system.

Thanks.

That's tcase, not tjmax. He has a ways to go beyond 75c iirc.

Regardless, 62c is not remotely something to worry about.

Yeah I know and that's the part that freaks me out a little, I am looking at all the options to cool it down, traditional and water cooling, looking for advice on anything that will help.

Thanks.

That's tcase, not tjmax. He has a ways to go beyond 75c iirc.

Regardless, 62c is not remotely something to worry about.
Any sites that list the tjmax?
RealTemp will show it but....
Yeah I know and that's the part that freaks me out a little, I am looking at all the options to cool it down, traditional and water cooling, looking for advice on anything that will help.

Thanks.

Temps are fine..

ok according to Core Temp 1.0 the tjmax temp is 217F for that cpu and at idle it is reading 99f to 108, at this point should I even worry about it anymore?

Thanks.

Greg

I think it said 0-1%, I will have to check later, maybe I can post a screenshot of it later.

Greg.

Thanks, I will later.

Greg

Here it is.

Looks good to me.

Greg

I like this shot better as it shows both cpu's.

Greg

Attachments

• Real Temp -2.jpg
    Real Temp -2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 822
  • Core Temp 1.0.png
    Core Temp 1.0.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 842
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good.

Just keep an eye out when they are under load.
If I'm correct, TjMax is 103C then. :shrug:

I would begin to worry if the CPU's hit around 75C or so. And even then, a large case fan or household fan would fix that :)

Thanks,

If I did want to pursue water cooling what would you recommend as this is a dual cpu system?

Greg

Thanks,

If I did want to pursue water cooling what would you recommend as this is a dual cpu system?

Greg

Probably custom loop.
I'd wager that's what the others would say as well.

I can't see an H100 doing the trick. Maybe if you bought 2, but I have no watercooling experience, just going off what I've read about watercooling here on OCF :)

it depends on how much room you have for fans/radiators
The absolute minimum is a 120 rad per CPU... but its gonna get loud.
you'ld be better of counting 120.2 (240mm) per CPU, although if both in the same loop, you could use a 120.3 (360mm) rad.
If going custom WC, then you can mix'n'match radiators, but doing that without prior experience can be a challenge :)

For "easy" install, you *could* be looking at something like an H100, but you need TWO of them AND the space/mounting room in/on the case. Something like two fans in the roof and two in the front AND enough room between roof & MB to avoid RAM issues AND enough room between the front & drivecages/MB. If there are fixed drive cages in the front it will become difficult.

Thanks.
Your temps are fine. Nothing should be freaking you out was my point there. :thup:

We also go by Celsius, not F...As a 'pro tip' for screenshots, if you only want the 'active' window, hit Alt+ Prt Scn and paste it into paint or w/e. :)

Load temps

Hi,

Here is a screen shot of my temps under a load, what do you think?

Thanks.

Greg

Attachments

• Load Temps.png
    Load Temps.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 823
Back