• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo X1 Extreme gen. 2 Cooling mods.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flows

Hi Folks,

besides repasting and undervolting are there any physical mods for this machine for instance better fans? I am thinking about opening up (porting) the induction screen covering the fan inlets as well.
Some questions for you:
- Are the pads on the north and south bridges and on the heat sink wing, as seen in htps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iWLfo2t4_U graphite thermal pads or something else?
- My cooling system has the FRU PN 02XR044. I can see there are other part numbers associated with 02XR044 namely 01AY981 and 01YU923. Is there any difference between these part numbers, for instance the fan connectors or fan manufacture? I am told there are three main laptop fan manufactures in China. Does anyone know who they are and which have the best reputation for quality? Is they this lot? SUNON, DELTA, FCN?
- Are there any better performing (later revision) fans that can be connected to the heat sink assembly?

Last edited:
One thing you should do is remove the plastic grill over the fan intake. It makes a big difference in temps and noise, or at least it did on the gen 1.

One thing you should do is remove the plastic grill over the fan intake. It makes a big difference in temps and noise, or at least it did on the gen 1.

Thanks the gen 2s have a different screen, it could still do with some attention though.

I am trying to figure out the cooling system part numbers though
Some say that the 02XR044 and 01AY981 have different fan connectors. Is this true?

From what I have gathered, the 02XR044, 01YU923 and 01AY981 are all identical cooling units made by SUNON. They are just part number options / revisions from oldest to newest with no performance or quality improvements. It looks like re-pasting is the only really viable way currently to help with the battery life and thermal throttling on the x1e gen2s.
Is any one able to verify this?

I don't know if anyone here will be able to help you there. Those are very specific questions.

If I were you, I'd stick with the basics. Undervolt and repaste. Those will be the best bang for the buck to so to speak.

OK here is what I have found out.
The 01AY981 and 01YU932 are equivalent parts for the Gen 1 P1 20ME/MD and the Gen 1 X1E 10MF/MG with discreet graphics. These have the 1.5mm pitch 8.5mm wide 6 pin fan plugs on both sides.
The 02XR044 is for the Gen 2 P1 20QT/QU and Gen 2 X1E 20QV/QW with discreet graphics. They have one 1.5mm pitch 8.5mm wide 6 pin plug on the rear left and one 1.0mm pitch 5.5mm wide 6 pin plug on the rear right.

Back