• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LF New game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

I'm looking for a new Single player game to play when I'm not playing WoW. I've played Bioshock, The Witcher, Diablo 1/2, Morrowwind, Oblivion, and a few other ones and just want something new.

I like FPS, Roleplaying, not much for the Myst type games though I don't think any of that type of come out in last 3-6 months that I can recall. I would like somethign with a good & fun storyline & decent graphics & good game play/control.(ie. Most console ports have terrible controls for pc)

I was looking at Crysis or Lost Planet atm. Also was hitting up EB Games site to look for possibly other games but I really don't like the way their site is set up. Be nice is SC2, D3, or FO3 were out now b/c I would most definately pounce on one of them if not all.lol

Though I'm kinda of leary about FO3 b/c it's going for a more FPS look, which the graphics look amazing but not sure if changing styles for that game would be a good idea as it's such an amazing game even now as it was. Also a new company taking up the reins, though they are a great company with a lot of past games that are amazing.

oh yeah & that is the other one I was looking at.. but it also looked like a port so was a little conserned with that...

When it came out, I was mad it didn't have the promised 360 controller support. I got over that about 5 minutes into the game. They really did an excellent job converting it to PC controls, and the graphics are just great. Can't imagine they don't look much better than the 360 version.

You sound like a good candidate for Mass Effect :)

When it came out, I was mad it didn't have the promised 360 controller support. I got over that about 5 minutes into the game. They really did an excellent job converting it to PC controls, and the graphics are just great. Can't imagine they don't look much better than the 360 version.

Cool maybe will give it a try... Have you played Crysis? If so which did you like better? I played the demo for Crysis & liked it.

Also I'm thinking about getting Spore Creator creator for my 7 year old daughter, I think she'd love that, though I'm not sure if it would be to complex for her, anyone have tried it & think a 7 year old could play with it without to much trouble. My daughter plays WoW with me & she's slowly getting the hang out that so I think she could probably grasp Spore as long as it isn't to complex.

Last edited:
Cool maybe will give it a try... Have you played Crysis? If so which did you like better? I played the demo for Crysis & liked it.

Also I'm thinking about getting Spore Creator creator for my 7 year old daughter, I think she'd love that, though I'm not sure if it would be to complex for her, anyone have tried it & think a 7 year old could play with it without to much trouble. My daughter plays WoW with me & she's slowly getting the hang out that so I think she could probably grasp Spore as long as it isn't to complex.

While I like Crysis and think it looks good, the story isn't anywhere near as fun as Mass Effect's. It's not sucking me in the way Far Cry did, even. It's really a different type of game as well.. If you prefer a FPS, go with Crysis (or better yet, COD4) and if you prefer an action-RPG, go with Mass Effect. Or just go with both :beer:

Mass Effect is far superior to Crysis. Although both are worth checking out.

As an aside, how was The Witcher? Did you get the EE version, with the new dialog and stuff?

Mass Effect is far superior to Crysis. Although both are worth checking out.

As an aside, how was The Witcher? Did you get the EE version, with the new dialog and stuff?

The witcher was really good, I really enjoyed it & thought it was right up there with Diablo & NWN's series with better graphics & a cool new combat system that made things much more fun & enjoyable over the point & click once type of deal. I got he one rated M if that's what you mean.

The witcher was really good, I really enjoyed it & thought it was right up there with Diablo & NWN's series with better graphics & a cool new combat system that made things much more fun & enjoyable over the point & click once type of deal. I got he one rated M if that's what you mean.

They both should be. To my knowledge there are two versions of this game (if the second has even been released yet) but they redid much of the dialog and such for what they called the EE edition, and it was/(is?) available as a patch to the original game.

Edit: I answered my own question, the Enhanced edition comes out Sept 16, 2008. I'll have to check it out then...

so I got Mass Effect & so far I'm liking it, though the graphics seem a bit grainy, though I think it's how the game is, all the settings are on high. But they don't seem to appear that way in cut scenes & when talking to NPC's just moving around the world.

Though a issue I am having is when I try to use a vendor & try & sell my stuff the game seems to lag out or somethin or respond excessively slow, or just lock up all together. Happens with both the vendor on the ship & on the space station.

spore creature creator is really easy...your daughter will probably have no issues whatsoever playing it. get the free version though...there is no use in paying for the "
pay for" version as it will be included with the game when it comes out. it is a fun little creation station kinda deal.

call of duty 4 is one of the best shooters that i have ever played...ever... if you haven't played through that, you should...

crysis is a good game. the AI is pretty terrible, and the ending/storyline is mediocre, but, as far as shooters go...it is fun. i like the sort of halo-esque nanosuit and the abilities it offers, also, i really like the weapon modding system that it employs...

i think the grainy graphics is the way mass effect is supposed to be...sort of a television fuzz, if you will. i haven't gotten a chance to play through it yet, as i have just finished half life ep two and am about to start bioshock...

The graphics are dated (but I don't really believe they take away from the play) but the story line is excellent and it provides hours of enjoyment: Gothic 1 from the Gothic Universe boxed edition (containing G1, G2+expansion, and G3).

I just finished Gothic 1 for the first time and though there were a few glitches here and there, plus the controls take getting used to, it was well worth the $19.

spore creature creator is really easy...your daughter will probably have no issues whatsoever playing it. get the free version though...there is no use in paying for the "
pay for" version as it will be included with the game when it comes out. it is a fun little creation station kinda deal.

call of duty 4 is one of the best shooters that i have ever played...ever... if you haven't played through that, you should...

crysis is a good game. the AI is pretty terrible, and the ending/storyline is mediocre, but, as far as shooters go...it is fun. i like the sort of halo-esque nanosuit and the abilities it offers, also, i really like the weapon modding system that it employs...

i think the grainy graphics is the way mass effect is supposed to be...sort of a television fuzz, if you will. i haven't gotten a chance to play through it yet, as i have just finished half life ep two and am about to start bioshock...

nice, where do you get the free version from?

you can download it here:

http://www.spore.com/trial

now it is very limited in the realm of creatures that you can create. it doesn't have all of the parts that you will be able to use once the game actually comes out, but, it will at least give her the time to learn how to make creatures before the game actually comes out.

so I got Mass Effect & so far I'm liking it, though the graphics seem a bit grainy
Check if you have the "film grain" setting turned on in the options menu.

Crysis is decent but it felt like a chore getting through the last half of the game, the demo delivers everything good about the game the rest felt tacked on.

The graphics are dated (but I don't really believe they take away from the play) but the story line is excellent and it provides hours of enjoyment: Gothic 1 from the Gothic Universe boxed edition (containing G1, G2+expansion, and G3).

I just finished Gothic 1 for the first time and though there were a few glitches here and there, plus the controls take getting used to, it was well worth the $19.

Was a waste of my money. The combat system is terrible! Non-recommendation here.

To be honest, gaming season is just around the corner, you shouldn't have a hard time finding a game in a month or two. Right now, I'm bored as s***. I just upgraded my hardware and am playing through F.E.A.R. again in anticipation of Project Origin.

i hope that they have updated the graphics for project origin. fear was a great game, but when i think back to the graphics even compared to half life 2, i shudder...

Back