• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian Li PC-O8WX, poor quality of materials and construction....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

So I finally replaced my Lian Li V1000B HAXOR case with a Lian Li PC-O8WX that I was able to snag off of eBay for a great price (think sub $100).

I have always admired cube cases, and finding one by Lian Li that is this good looking for such a great deal was exciting. The case appears to be a display model, judging by the small scuffs on the edges, the enermax RGB fans, and the miscellaneous hardware missing.

Comparing this 2016 top of the line Lian-Li case, to the 2005 top of the line Lian-Li case, the Lian Li quality really seams to have degraded over time. My V1000B was $250 new back in 2005, and this PC-08 was $399 new in 2016.

The frame, base, and ceiling of the case appear to be powder coated or maybe even painted aluminum. It definitely is not anodized like the side panels are.

20190222_115122.jpg
_MG_0088.jpg

That along with the aluminum panels being made of thinner metal than used on the V1000. I would understand the top panel being the thinner material, but the rest of the case just seems like they cheaped out. The V1000's side panels are at least 3mm thick, with the newer panels being more around 2.2mm thick, which makes more of a difference in rigidity than you might think. The aluminum panels flex when being removed, as this is a tool less case design.

20190222_114919.jpg

Not only that, but the rear expansion slot covers look like cheap metal and are flimsy compared to the solid chromed/polished steel ones that were included in their previous cases.

IMG_0077.jpg

Looking at the screw holes for the expansion slots, Lian Li simply tapped the aluminum, rather than using a stainless threaded insert for these threads. I foresee these getting stripped out down the road.

_MG_0072.jpg
_MG_0071.jpg

Something that seems odd about the material coatings, is that it is not consistent. While the frame is the powder coated/painted black aluminum and the exterior panels brushed and anodized, you would think that everything else in the interior would be powder coated/painted black as well, This is not the case. The side intake removable dust filter frame, the hard drive cage/rear fan mount, and the upper fan/radiator mount are all made of brushed/anodized aluminum., and then the upper removable dust filter has a plastic frame. Very inconsistent with the finish. I am used to Lian Li taking more attention to detail, and having more consistency, than this...

_MG_0062.jpg
20190222_115145.jpg
_MG_0098.jpg

The case is heavier than the V1000, but that is thanks to the 5mm tempered glass side and front panel. It makes me wonder how much lighter the PC-O9 is, in person.

20190222_115006.jpg
20190222_114931.jpg

Has anyone else noticed the Lian Li quality dropping over time, as well?

These things don't keep me from using the case, as it is still a very beautiful piece, from Lian Li. However, it will not be like my V1000B, where I had a hard time parting with it, and not wanting anything else for 13 years.

I've noticed the same in some cases. They look good but something is missing. Recently I got O11 Air as I wanted additional spot for 360 rad instead of window in front. All is fine but not everything is as good as I expected. The same with some other cases that I was testing. Not bad, actually really good but there are always things that could be done better without high cost.

I love the look of the O11, but really wanted to keep the all aluminum design, and the O11 has an SECC steel frame, doesn't it?

I am wondering if Lian Li is cutting corners to save on materials and manufacturing costs and keep their cases affordable? But then, the O8 was priced at $399, and I would expect more, compared to the O11 which started at $139

O11 is steel only but has many options. Starts at ~$120 but goes up to ~$500 and I have no idea for what they ask so high price.
Standard version has window in front +flat top. Air version which supposed to be designed for air cooling has plastic front +top, both removable. It's one of the only cases that is quite small and still can install 2-3x 360 radiators. I wanted to use 2. One is on the top, one is on the bottom.
Here are 2 photos that for some reason I still had on my desktop:
2019-02-20(1).jpg

2019-02-20.jpg

Inside is everything I had left from other builds or benching and I didn't want to sell it so it's a bit weird:
7900X/delidded, no IHS
ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
32GB Corsair 3866 SODIMM
EVGA GTX1080Ti FE
Watercool CPU+GPU blocks + 2x 360 rads
Enermax Platimax DF 750W
It runs 24/7

It's not the best looking case and clearly there were some savings while designing it but I simply wanted a case with exactly so much space inside.
The only thing I hate is that lian-li/der8auer plate glued on the back (Enermax lion is magnetic and is actually looking good, not sure why I added it). I don't know what they used but I can't remove it in the easy way and I don't want to scratch the case. In some reviews were also bad comments about this plate.

Nice spare system you have there!

One other thing I couldn't get past on the O11 is the odd legs, they just don't seem to fit the Lian Li styling. And the O11WX doesn't even have feet, it just sits on the dust filter looking base of the case. The design of the CASES looks Lian Li, but deffinitely not the materials used, or those legs. I've always seen Lian Li as a top of the line, no corner cutting, artistic, solid case manufacturer until just recently.

I believe they may have epoxied the der8auer name plate to the case. If not epoxy, then at least a high strength adhesive tape of some type. They probably wanted it to be permanent to give der8auer credit for his contribution to one of their better selling cases?

Has SilverStone's quality dropped as well? I have an old silver aluminum case of theirs with a drive bay door, and even it's build quality is above Lian Li's latest offerings.

The O11 (at least in cheaper version) has plastic legs which just feel cheap. Also the case itself is not really solid. Once you install more components and try to move it, can clearly feel it's slightly "bending".
I doubt that der8auer did anything in this case. It's just a brand to bump sales as this design is perfect for overclocked watercooling builds. This guy doesn't care about overclocking on water, the same as most others who take part in competitive overclocking. Other thing is that similar design have some other chinese brands. Look at this https://www.x2products.com/computer-cases/protonic-x2-o7019gw-u3/ Just one example but there are more.

I have nothing to steel cases if they're well designed. It's just that these products are for enthusiasts and still cost a lot so end-users expect high-quality details.

I never liked SilverStone just because most their cases were not designed well for higher wattage components. For example small alu cases had not enough airflow for gaming graphics cards or had PSU just above the CPU. Other thing was price which was way too high for what their products were offering (or it was price in EU).

From last cheaper brands which use alu is Raijintek https://www.raijintek.com/en/products_bycategory.php?CategoryID=2
I had their ITX case and was great for the price. Simple but everything was perfect.

Back