• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lines appear all over screen when both sticks installed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok, major news update! guys at computer store say they have flashed the board to version 1.9! this should eliminate the compatibility issue and reveal if theres anything wrong with the hardware itself.i should be picking up my rig at 9am tomorrow morning my time than ill be off to the lan so i wont be able to post until after that.

the faulty hardware has been revealed :attn: i wouldnt have believed it myself if i hadnt saw the psu box myself today.i was only shown it now because the guys at the computer store ordered it in not me :rolleyes: they only told me its a thermaltake 430w and i assumed its what i needed because i trusted the brand name and 430w seemed enough.the +12v rail is only 18a thats not enough for a venice thedalone a raptor to which uses 1a on its own :bang head .the +3.3v rail is not much better at 20a so how my venice booted into windows is beyond me :temper: .the +5v rail is ok at 30a so that explains why the gfx card runs ok but the cpu sometimes crashes and the raptor loses windows :mad: .and those 3dmark scores of 15k in 01 and 7k in 03(cant remember what the 05 score was)correspond with my findings.so lets throw out all the msi/amd know-it-alls :p and bring in all those psu know-it-alls(heres looking at you larva.)btw i guess my computer wouldnt boot with both sticks installed because the extra power draw was just enough to sink the ship(you know, like a seagull landing on a severely overloaded oil freighter ROFL.

ps.i feel like fragging those computer store guys in the cs:source office map and im not talking in game j/k.

edit:whoa i have made 4 posts back-to-back.someone please post before i start looking like a raving lunatic LOL.

Last edited:
I am glad to here the mystery has been solved. I told you not to rule out the psu. Those TT's are not all that good. Al is well that ends well. Have fun at your LAN party. Good luck.

hey its still not running properly yet lol.just got a big bill of over $500aus from computer store guys which im not happy about but considering the sheer number of hours they worked on it(nearly 20 hours)thats quite cheap.i guess ill be using my current posting rig(9600np, p4 2.8.) 2 days ago it was rebooting on me often but its stopped since.however onboard sound died a few days ago.my skill in the cs:source office map is on par with expert level bots(do NOT diss em, they get headshots 80% of the time :attn: so a degree of PWNAGE is guaranteed :thup: .

Wow, $500, that sounds pretty high to me. IMO it seems like they should have figured that out a lot quicker then 20 hours, and if they couldn't they shouldn't charge you for their inability to diagnose a simple problem. Didn't you say that they sold you the PSU?

believe me, only a fraction of those hours were spent trying to figure out why my computer has issues.my rig has been in that store for quite some time now.they still dont know its their psu thats the cause of the problem yet and wont find out until monday morning! they still think its a faulty cpu and raptor! i mean 18a on the +12v line its a known fact neither the venice nor the older winchester cpu,s will run properly with that little amperage.and not to mention raptors use 1a and seagates use 1/2a on that line its little wonder windows disappears everytime the cpu crashes :temper: .btw the cpu also uses the +3.3v line(which is too weak at 20a)while my agp gfx card mainly uses the +5v rail(which is ok at 30a)am i right or am i right?

ok, now im left needing yet another brand new psu :mad: .right now im thinking antec truepower 550w because a friend of mine uses that psu with a 3500+ venice with big **** 120mm hsf, 4 hd,s and 6600gt.what do you guys think of that particular psu? are there better choices of psu out there for my needs, for instance the neopower 480w and if so why? and can someone please show me a link to newegg,s current pricing of the truepower550w, just for comparison purposes only.

ps.the lan was great! PWNAGE did occur time and time again on the cs:source office map, particularly when i was playing as counter-terrorist.i also matched the leader of team hummer kill-for-kill in the italy map :D .most of the guys at the lan were on-par with level hard bots(only more unpredictable)so i guess all that training against expert bots really paid off.got my **** handed to me on a platter time and time again in the havana map however.just couldnt get those headshots when i needed them most.the dust map was a little weird.first time around i got many kills with the commando, but second time around i only made 2 kills in 30 minutes! i always had to wait 3 rounds just to scrounge up enough money for a decent rifle, only to be blinded by a flashbang and killed every time! my teamates never backed me up, they just protected the spawn point only to be slaughtered with barely enough time to buy weapons anyway :bang head .btw i just couldnt help but spray the owned logo on anyone i killed(for obvious reasons ;) )lol.i kind of lost the plot killing-wise towards the end of the lan, just cant focus for 10 hours straight.but it was fun :) .and this is the only lan i know thats free to enter!

Last edited:
I am not a big antec fan. Fortron or Enermax are my preferences but there are many good brands. Just make sure you check the amps as it's not so much about watts.

rseven said:
Tell him you would rather have him eat his bill.:)

well, i do think thats a little bit rich(no offense intended rseven.) he made a mistake that i am certainly not happy about but he has worked a lot of hours on my computer to date.btw ive already paid more than half the bill(but not the cost of psu or gst just yet.) my rig has been at the store for quite some time now(about 3 months, a lot longer than this threads been around!)and many hours of work has been done on it on and off in that time.it all started when some cooling parts were upgraded.than it wouldnt boot :eh?: .turns out my ic7 mobo had died on me.875 chipset mobos were too expensive to be worth it at the time and i didnt want to downgrade to the 865 chipset, so i decided then and there to go amd.i might still end up regretting choosing an msi board over a gigabyte one unless mine has no problems and is a great overclocker.

Last edited:
i read on a psu sticky that thermaltake 430,s actually droop their rails under load, which is pretty terrible considering where they start at!

Last edited:
Yes, no surprise there. They are not the worst, but they are nothing special. The Antec is a huge improvement.

rseven said:
The Antec is a huge improvement.

guy at store told me the only reason he recommended thermaltake instead of antec was because they both use the same circuitry.was he lying through his teeth or does having the same circuitry mean nothing? with any luck the antec will fix the problem and ill be playing games at impossibly high fps and iq settings by friday.if not ill start rmaing venices and raptors at random ;) and perhaps even contemplate some ocz platinum memory in the meantime.but only a weak psu could explain the abnormal 3dmark scores im seeing.the 15k in 01 shows my venice is performing like a 1.3 celeron! the 7k in 03 is under par but is most likely cpu limited when compared to the 01 score!

Last edited:
Back