• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Linux for Folding@Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
Hi guys,

I have an older PC that I've only been using for F@H. It has Vista 32bit installed and since MS dropped support for Vista it won't fold anymore. (been off all summer, just fired up for the season)
Q9650, 2x2GB PC1000 DDR2, Asus Rampage Formula mobo, GTX 650. It's worth about 20-25k ppd & provides a little heat for the basement over the winter.

I'm looking for a super simple Linux O/S that can get this machine folding again. Something on flash or CD would really be great.

I have very, very little experience with Linux & just want to fold. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
I would go with http://ubuntu-mate.org/ as my top choice for less experienced followed right behind by https://linuxmint.com/

Both are great for new people.

Mate has the software boutique which offers one-click installs for a ton of the most used software. Well worth checking out, its also great for older hardware. Plenty of good support as it is an official version of Ubuntu, googling for "how to do X in Ubuntu" will work on Ubuntu Mate

As Stratus_ss mentioned, the Ubuntu MATE LTS(Long Term Support) edition is an excellent choice. I'm not familiar with disc burning software for Windows, but if you're using a usb drive perhaps pendrivelinux will be sufficient.

If you need help with the Linux install, or setting up folding@home just give us a hollar.

I'll probably start by downloading the Ubuntu MATE ISO & see how that install goes. I have installed openSUSE on an old Dell notebook & made a decent web-surfer. It'll be interesting to see if I can muddle through a Ubuntu MATE install.

PenDriveLinux seems like it might work well for my situation too. I know I've read about Live CD versions of Linux that you don't even need to install, just boot from CD or thumb drive - the PenDrive version seems to fit that bill.

You can bet I'll be asking for help if the NVidia driver install doesn't go well or the F@H install doesn't work out. :)

Thanks again guys

for just an operating system on a flash drive and a few files I might need I use puppy os with the save file on the flash drive.

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/Overview and Getting Started.htm

you might find ubuntu the way to go, the latest nvidia driver is installed, point and click through additional drivers and nvidia x sever settings is installed through the software center I think folding is also.
the only "real" work is the .conf file to allow you to control the gpu fans, but we can walk you right through that in a snap.

Last edited:
Well, I've got Ubuntu mate installed, and managed to get the video driver switched from an open source driver to a nvidia driver.
I still have to get F@H installed.

So puppylinux &/or pendriverlinux can run a program like F@H without being installed on a HDD? That would be a great option for a few ppd.

I'm thinking puppy tahr is Ubuntu based anyway.
no, get x server installed and the .conf file changed out first.

F@H was giving me a problem. I had downloaded the 3 files - FAHclient, control, and viewer .deb. FAHcontrol.deb would not install, had an error about python's ver needed to be >=9.0. Google led me to an updated version of python-support.deb & then FAHcontrol installed. I could then see I've been folding (the client had installed, just couldn't see it), but just on 3 CPU cores. I let it finish, removed the CPU & added the GTX 650 GPU in setup. Now instead of 4-5k ppd, I'll be about 23-25k ppd. Every little bit helps. :)

This was much easier than I expected. I have a couple AMD HD 6970 GPUs (and a bunch of spare parts). Will they work with F@H in Linux? I've read AMD's Linux driver support is pretty bad.

yea, it is but, if you can get them working properly they really produce.
did you get x server and the .conf installed?

X server is part of the nvidia driver package, correct? I see that in the system setup section. Looks like it installed when I installed the proprietary nvidia driver. I don't know what the .conf would be.

BTW, I didin't have to do any sudu console commands. This version has an installer & there were just double clicks to get installs done.

open x server settings, under powermizer do you have overclocking settings?
the next tab down, do you have fan settings available?

I don't have overclocking under Powermizer, I can just select different modes - Auto, adaptive, performance. I selected Performance.
Also the fan is keeping the GPU 48-50C, but there are no options for controlling speed.

Coolbits! That's old school. I've give it a read and see what I can do with it. Thx CD.

Back