• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooling Feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ERLoft

Registered
Hey folks,

I'm about to conclude building my new system today when UPS delivers my power supply and RAM. I've been debating water cooling vs air cooling and would like some feedback.

My setup will include:
  • Case - Raven RV02-EW
  • MB - ASRock Extreme6
  • CPU - i7 3770k
  • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4gb 2133
  • Video Cards - (2) EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC 3gb
  • PSU - Silverstone ST1000-P
  • HD 1 - Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
  • HD 2 - WD Raptor 300gb
  • HD 3 - WD CG 2TB
  • Optical - (2) Samsung Writemaster DVD/RW
  • Misc - Rosewill Front Panel USB Card Reader

In finishing the build today, I'll be using a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cooler, but I've done some research on cooling. It looks like:

1. The Raven case is really condusive to water cooling
  2. Temps under stress testing could decline from the high 70's to the mid 60's by going to water cooling.
  3. Water cooling will be quieter - not sure how much of a concern this is.

Here's my questions:

• If I'm looking to overclock to about 4.5ghz with this setup, is it worth going watercooled?
  • The GTX 660 Ti is supposed to be a pretty cool running card - no real need to watercool those?
  • Overall performance-wise, for games like BF3, Skyrim, AC3 and BF4 when it comes out, does it make sense to go to 4.5ghz?

I've been shopping watercooling systems and components, and it looks like 'bang for the buck' balanced against quality, the XSPC EX240 setup is a good deal. It looks like the primary differences between this and the XSPC RS240 are the radiator (same size, more efficient design on the EX?) and the pump (Laing D5 vs X20). Do those differences justify the $100 bump in price?

I shopped out a setup with much of the same components as the EX240 - same pump/reservoir, radiator and cpu block, but changed tubing, fittings and clamps, and came up with a $315 price tag, so the kit looks pretty good. However, the kit I shopped out is for 1/2" ID tubing - does the increase in tubing size make any real difference with the fittings being 1/4"?

So, at the end of the day, should I jump back into the watercooled world? And if so, is the EX240 a good choice?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions!

Last edited:
1. Air can do that CPU @ 4.5GHz...
2. I wouldnt bother cooling that GPU, no.
3. 4.5Ghz is plenty for that CPU and modern games.

My choice of kits would be the soon to be released Swiftech H220. Simple. Effective. Expandable. Its up to you, but its not needed for that setup and clockspeed goals.

Those two cards in SLI isn't really killer. I would of got a 670 and later got another myself.

Let me rephrase that. Your single gpu is good enough for a standard 1080i monitor unless you must have über eye candy then you might do better with two 7950 on xfire for the long haul.

Thanks for the heads up on the H220 Earthdog. I read the front page review and a couple of other site's reviews and that looks like a good way to jump back into water cooling without breaking the bank - now if they'd just release it...

I read the front page review and a couple of other site's reviews and that looks like a good way to jump back into water cooling without breaking the bank - now if they'd just release it...

:thup:

Back