• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Nitrogen related old or new idea ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runereaver

Hello again guys...

I know that everyone is familiar with using liquid nitrogen to cool down the cpu to perform insane overclocking .

But I was thinking of the following :

What about making a custom hollow copper attach it to the cpu make it long enough to go around in your case and poor Liquid Nitrogen into the copper and then seal the copper. " It should look like the cooling copper in the laptops" or something similar .

Add some fans to blow air.

And since the copper will be extremely cold the air will get also cold and move around which means more cooling for your whole entire computer .

I honestly do not know if anyone attempted this before.

What do you guys think ? Is it doable :) ??

The difficulty is that LN2 maintains its coldness by boiling, that raises the pressure inside a sealed thing to the point where it tends to explode. Nitrogen doesn't have a liquid form at normal temperatures, so if you toss enough liquid into a sealed container it'll either boil and raise the pressure until it has compressed itself to a solid (unlikely) or crack the container.
Now if you cycled LN2 through the thing, either with a large reservoir of LN2 or with a compression and cooling rig (loud!) to recondense it, you could have a metal tube at -196c.
Using the extreme cold to cool air to cool a heatsink has been done as well. With a heatpipe based heatsink it stops functioning at 0c when the water inside the heatpipes freezes. With a solid heatsink you can get colder, though not nearly as cold as just pouring the LN2 on it in the first place.
Cold enough to be worthwhile? That depends on how much you're paying for the LN2.

Anyway, the main issue is the sealed part and how LN2 keeps itself cold.
You could make one hell of a heatpipe that way, but it'd only work (without going BAM, anyway) at temperatures below ~-196c.

I honestly Do not know a lot about LN.
I really appreciate all the information that you just shared :)
You even gave me more ideas.
Now since the LN need to boil and since it produces some sort of gas or duno
Why dont we just make a hole in it and insure that the massive heat sink will reach the top of the case with the hole on top .
If some one is annoyed with all that gas from boiling you can just attach a good looking small tube to it and make a small hole throw ur window
Something similar to split air conditioners

What do you think ?

And as for moving the LN or using water and stuff , The main idea of this is that I want to use the space for something else rather than getting insane fans , insane watercooling ,

Think about it :
Good looking
Small space usage
Cheap
Extreme cooling " Honestly this is not about reaching insane low temps , its just about getting rid of stupid expensive old ways , I am ok with (10 to -50 c) and i am sure it will go even lower "

Ln2 is for short benching times, a few hours. If you wanted to do Ln2 for 24/7 usage you'd have to have a truck at your door once a week at a few thousand dollars.

The experts can tell you usage times for x amount of Ln2 and how much it costs exactly.

Ln2 is for short benching times, a few hours. If you wanted to do Ln2 for 24/7 usage you'd have to have a truck at your door once a week at a few thousand dollars.

The experts can tell you usage times for x amount of Ln2 and how much it costs exactly.

Disappointed :(

I didn't know that it's boiling is temporary ...

Any way to go around this ?
Or use other chemicals ?

Yea, Dry Ice and Aceton. Again, once the dry ice is gone, that's it.

It's the old energy problem. Enery is used to make something like Ln2, massive compressors costing tons of $$. It's released. Same for dry ice. Same for Air conditioners.

An AC unit running in ......

Bah, we have an extreme cooling subforum, you can learn there and at this other site. Better you reading than me trying to explain it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?10-Cooling

Yea, Dry Ice and Aceton. Again, once the dry ice is gone, that's it.

It's the old energy problem. Enery is used to make something like Ln2, massive compressors costing tons of $$. It's released. Same for dry ice. Same for Air conditioners.

An AC unit running in ......

Bah, we have an extreme cooling subforum, you can learn there and at this other site. Better you reading than me trying to explain it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?10-Cooling

Thanks bro Appreciated :)

Back