• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Locking out computer on demand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Not sure where to put this... Security or Windows :shrug: (Mods, move if you feel necessary)

I'm looking for a better/safer way of "disabling" my brother's computer.
My mom makes me do this to limit his usage on it.

Right now, I simply pull the RAM out.... I'd rather not keep doing that.
I could use windows passwords, just change his but I'd have to do that quite often.

There must be a better way....
Any ideas? :shrug:

Thanks guys

I havn't tried using it much but Win7 pro has a feature that allows disabling between different times(say 12am-6am) for user accounts. I forget what the feature is called but a believe its in the security policies

Lock the bios... takes about 3 seconds.

I havn't tried using it much but Win7 pro has a feature that allows disabling between different times(say 12am-6am) for user accounts. I forget what the feature is called but a believe its in the security policies

+1 to these.

BIOS password will keep him out, but if someone with the password is not there then there's a problem.

Locking out with Windows would be a good idea, haven't used it, but it will most likely be under some sort of parental control.

How old is your brother that "no" doesn't mean anything?
14 :shrug:
Lock the bios... takes about 3 seconds.

+1 to these.

BIOS password will keep him out, but if someone with the password is not there then there's a problem.

Locking out with Windows would be a good idea, haven't used it, but it will most likely be under some sort of parental control.

Will look into this. I had a hunch that the group polices or something would do the trick.

Lock the BIOS....
That would work, but i'd have to enter the password every time....
Unless, my mother can remember the password :p

Thanks for the fast replies :D

14 is plenty old enough to listen...

Anyway, for armchair action, I'd look into the w7 times like was mentioned above.

+1 to these.

ATM as usual you are correct it is parental controls, I created a temp acct for this purpose:
ParentControls_zps01ae5ff6.png

Tell your mom to just take the computer till he can listen, problem solved without any extra work. :cool:

14 is plenty old enough to listen...

Anyway, for armchair action, I'd look into the w7 times like was mentioned above.
You have no idea....

Taking that computer would be enough to cause a world war.
He "must" jet his way. Other wise... huge arguments. :-/
ATM as usual you are correct it is parental controls, I created a temp acct for this purpose:
ParentControls_zps01ae5ff6.png

Thank you!
That should do just fine. Thanks for showing me how it's done!

You have no idea....

Taking that computer would be enough to cause a world war.
He "must" jet his way. Other wise... huge arguments. :-/

I have some comments that aren't forum appropriate on how to fix that.

Anyway, good luck with it.

I have some comments that aren't forum appropriate on how to fix that.

Anyway, good luck with it.
Cheers to that Atmin, not to pry Silver but your Mom needs to bite this one in the butt and solve it with parenting. Otherwise he'll be walking all over her! It will only get worse in the future if he doesn't learn to respect the rules of the house.

bite this one in the butt

Just not literally :rofl:

You're right Manny, and it was exactly what I was getting at.
The first (and consequentially last) time I talked back to my mother was the night I got backhanded at dinner.
A little discipline goes a long way. One time is still working over 10 years later.

Funny story sort of on topic. My Grandparents are off the boat from Italy and my Grandfather was old school Italian. What he said was gospel and no one was allowed to question it. So, dinner time was quiet time, you talked quietly and didn't horse around. I was about 11 years old sitting at the table with my cousins, grandparents aunt's and uncles. I am the 2nd youngest cousin out of 13 and just happened to be sitting next to my Grandfather. I was always a bit wound up and my mouth never stopped as a kid. Sundays were always pasta days and Grandma's, so were at this big table and Grandma just served what else, spaghetti and meatballs. I'm sitting there babbling and horsing around not noticing my Grandfather is getting annoyed. About 5 minutes into dinner my grandfather cannot take my babbling anymore and without word, takes his bowl of pasta and just puts it on top of my head. Looking back it is one of the funniest things I remember my grandfather doing but at the time I was so scared, I was afraid to remove the bowl from my head. I also never spoke a word at dinner unless I was far away from him. :D

Moral of the story is it's your moms house, her rules. Yes she needs to compromise some but you brother needs to learn to respect her wishes. Trust me I know it can be tough, my 11 yr old likes to try and push to get his way all the time. Sometimes it's good to let them get their way but there are also instances where you do not give into them because this is how you want them raised! My wife and I also limit our son on how much time he can spend on his electronics, ie. I Phone, Ps4, XBox, Wii and Pc but he knows if he doesn't listen he loses all of it and we stick to our guns no matter how much he ******* about it.

Cheers to that Atmin, not to pry Silver but your Mom needs to bite this one in the butt and solve it with parenting. Otherwise he'll be walking all over her! It will only get worse in the future if he doesn't learn to respect the rules of the house.

Just not literally :rofl:

You're right Manny, and it was exactly what I was getting at.
The first (and consequentially last) time I talked back to my mother was the night I got backhanded at dinner.
A little discipline goes a long way. One time is still working over 10 years later.

Moral of the story is it's your moms house, her rules. Yes she needs to compromise some but you brother needs to learn to respect her wishes. Trust me I know it can be tough, my 11 yr old likes to try and push to get his way all the time. Sometimes it's good to let them get their way but there are also instances where you do not give into them because this is how you want them raised! My wife and I also limit our son on how much time he can spend on his electronics, ie. I Phone, Ps4, XBox, Wii and Pc but he knows if he doesn't listen he loses all of it and we stick to our guns no matter how much he ******* about it.

Yeah, that's the issue...

It's a long story, and it seems to be a mix of his ADHD and his attitude. If he doesn't hear what he wants...... :temper:

A mix of doctors later and pretty much back at square one. Only difference is he is now supposed to be taking Omega 3,6 and 6 pills, of course he will "forget" to take them. See? not what he want's so he doesn't take them.

*sigh* We all love him but what a handful sometime! :p

Back