• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Locking out computer on demand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Funny story sort of on topic. My Grandparents are off the boat from Italy and my Grandfather was old school Italian. What he said was gospel and no one was allowed to question it. So, dinner time was quiet time, you talked quietly and didn't horse around. I was about 11 years old sitting at the table with my cousins, grandparents aunt's and uncles. I am the 2nd youngest cousin out of 13 and just happened to be sitting next to my Grandfather. I was always a bit wound up and my mouth never stopped as a kid. Sundays were always pasta days and Grandma's, so were at this big table and Grandma just served what else, spaghetti and meatballs. I'm sitting there babbling and horsing around not noticing my Grandfather is getting annoyed. About 5 minutes into dinner my grandfather cannot take my babbling anymore and without word, takes his bowl of pasta and just puts it on top of my head. Looking back it is one of the funniest things I remember my grandfather doing but at the time I was so scared, I was afraid to remove the bowl from my head. I also never spoke a word at dinner unless I was far away from him. :D

Moral of the story is it's your moms house, her rules. Yes she needs to compromise some but you brother needs to learn to respect her wishes. Trust me I know it can be tough, my 11 yr old likes to try and push to get his way all the time. Sometimes it's good to let them get their way but there are also instances where you do not give into them because this is how you want them raised! My wife and I also limit our son on how much time he can spend on his electronics, ie. I Phone, Ps4, XBox, Wii and Pc but he knows if he doesn't listen he loses all of it and we stick to our guns no matter how much he ******* about it.

My family is old-school Armenian. We share very similar values with Italians (part of why I always was best friends or dating Italians, and yes my wife is Italian, as my man mandrake already knows)... anyway, my father used to dump food on our head also. Right now, my son is 15 months and the tantrums are getting to be frequent and loud. My wife and I have found some methods that work, but still trying to iron out the best fit for him. Every child is different... some methods work, some don't... but we're trying whatever works best for him. The bottom line... don't give in.

As for locking down that desktop...
I think the best question to ask is... what's your goal, SPECIFICALLY (if you didn't already state it)?

Is it to have it locked at certain days/time always? Is it also to lock it down on the fly due to punishment? The methods given in above posts so far sound promising, and exactly what I'd be doing.

The way I'd do it is:
- Set the day/times that he should be allowed and restricted, for when he is GOOD. Don't do a computer shutdown, but rely on sleep or hibernate.
- Set a BIOS password and do a computer shutdown during punishment times

This way... if he's good, he controls when to wake the computer and log on, and the time restrictions will keep him in check with when he's allowed to be on. If he's bad, just shutdown the computer... when punishment time (or being grounded) is over, turn the computer back on.

What do you think? :)

The way I'd do it is:
- Set the day/times that he should be allowed and restricted, for when he is GOOD. Don't do a computer shutdown, but rely on sleep or hibernate.

This way... if he's good, he controls when to wake the computer and log on, and the time restrictions will keep him in check with when he's allowed to be on. If he's bad, just shutdown the computer... when punishment time (or being grounded) is over, turn the computer back on.

Love it!

My family is old-school Armenian. We share very similar values with Italians (part of why I always was best friends or dating Italians, and yes my wife is Italian, as my man mandrake already knows)... anyway, my father used to dump food on our head also. Right now, my son is 15 months and the tantrums are getting to be frequent and loud. My wife and I have found some methods that work, but still trying to iron out the best fit for him. Every child is different... some methods work, some don't... but we're trying whatever works best for him. The bottom line... don't give in.

As for locking down that desktop...
I think the best question to ask is... what's your goal, SPECIFICALLY (if you didn't already state it)?

Is it to have it locked at certain days/time always? Is it also to lock it down on the fly due to punishment? The methods given in above posts so far sound promising, and exactly what I'd be doing.

The way I'd do it is:

Yes yes, on the fly "disabling".

You method sounds good. Set limits during the day, then set BIOS password.
Boot up, enter BIOS password and sleep it. Then he can use it. Mom calles for disable, I just have to shutdown.

Right? :)

Now why didn't I think of this stuff? :rolleyes:

long as he doesnt know how to disable a bios password :) little kids are sneaky sneaky.

That video was great, though if it were my son it wouldn't only be WOW that was taken from his after that.

long as he doesnt know how to disable a bios password :) little kids are sneaky sneaky.

Heh, if he does just get a full modular PSU and pull the 24-pin out when he's been cut-off from the computer.
Can't bypass that without buying another cable :cool:

Heh, if he does just get a full modular PSU and pull the 24-pin out when he's been cut-off from the computer.
Can't bypass that without buying another cable :cool:

There's an idea :p

yep, when I get home I'll setup a BIOS password and enforce those time limits.
Should work great :)

If things became difficult with the BIOS password, you could also use Truecrypt to encrypt the HDD and set a pw on it, though I'm not sure if waking up from sleep requires a password (my guess it it won't and should work). :)

Shutdown when grounded; otherwise, you're golden and covered by policy in Windows. :)

If things became difficult with the BIOS password, you could also use Truecrypt to encrypt the HDD and set a pw on it, though I'm not sure if waking up from sleep requires a password (my guess it it won't and should work). :)

Shutdown when grounded; otherwise, you're golden and covered by policy in Windows. :)

:salute:

Done.

BIOS password set, and revoked his admin account and turned it into a limited user one. Time limits have been enforced as well. :)

Thanks for the suggestion g0dM@n and everyone!
Adding this to the solved pile :D

I told him I locked his BIOS up and set time restrictions.

Needless to say he isn't a happy camper (pun intended :p )
He "just wants free time on his stuff"

Welp, gotta earn that stuff bud :bday:

Glad you got it sorted out. :)
Now, to figure out my 15-month-old's tantrums... :D

Password on his/her's pc wouldn't be helpful :rofl:

He's good at finding my phone and running it over all happy... it's funny... he'll grab it, look at me, and breathe in and out quickly with excitement. I loves the Fisher Price ABC and Animal games. We don't want him exposed too much to that stuff, but for the amount we're OK with it's actual educational. He learns about animals, letters, numbers, shapes, and colors. :) It's unbelievable how much knowledge babies/kids have nowadays, compared to when I was their age.

Back