• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech Z-680 amp cooler **56K WARNING**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've been doing some reading on forums and reviews and apparently people have had problems with certain channels going out on this set of speakers within a year or so. I personally believe this could be because of the AMP heating up. This 500WATT (1000WATT peek) amplifier that is mounted to the rear of the woofer enclosure makes it's little mosfet heatsinks HOT after 4 or 5 hours of use, even at non-blaring volumes; at least, mine does.

So I my solution was to cool them somehow, involving fans. I had put my bedroom box fan to the side of the sub at low speed and the sinks cooled off VERY quickly, with very little air being pushed over them. So here is what I came up with (I appologize for the horrible image quality):

The fan bracket is just a half inch wide strip of sheet metal I had lying around, and it's just as long as the sub is wide. Then I wripped this in electrical tape since the sheet metal shears arn't the nicest when it comes to clean edges, and the edge would slice you open like a fish. I don't remember the models of the fans, but one is a Nidec from an old PSU, and the other is what came with my skyhawk case.
fans1.jpg
No, the fan bracket isn't totally straight, but it doesn't need to be, as you'll see later on.
fans2.jpg

These are the clips that keep the fans from sliding off the back. Made from an identical strip as the bracket itself, these are also wrapped in e-tape :)
clips.jpg

The inside (left) "clip" slides over the farthes fin on the amp, and the outside (right) fin like thing goes around the fans, holding them down, as you will see later on as well.
clip.jpg

The inside clip slides of the farthest fin:
clipon1.jpg

clipon2.jpg

And with the clips on, it looks like this:
clipon3.jpg

Here you can see that the outside fin like thing on the clip keeps the fans from falling backward, and the top part of the fin like thing keeps them down.
fanson2.jpg

Two final pictures, just so you can get a good look at it:
fanson3.jpg
fanson1.jpg

I'm currently powering them with an old 250WATT AT power supply, but I really want to just use a regular AC adapter like thing to powe them with a switch on the cord somewhere so I can at least power the fans on and off.

So what do you think? Am I just addicted to modding, or do you think this was really worth it? As you all know, I love input :D

~C.P.

That's a sweet mod dude. I might do that with my z-680's. The amp does get pretty hot especially when I've got the volume cranked. It's nice how the fans blow air through the heatsinks on the side and into the amp box itself.

/me likes :thup:

Oh and to answer your question, this probably is a sign of being addicted to modding (not a bad disease to have ;)) and cooling the sinks on that bad boy can't hurt :D

Well I like it man, you can never have to much cooling. Hooking it up to an AC adapter would be a much better solution than having it running off that old PSU. Hopefully it helps save your awsome z-680's from dieing.

Yeah, it runs through the amp casing through the grated top as well as the fins. You can even feel some of the air coming out the little grated section on the bottow as well! I'd hate to loose the speakers any time soon, they're just to awesome and I hate to loose something so expensive so easilly :)

AMD Phreak gave me his two old 80mm Panaflo FBA08A12L fans, so I'll be trying these out on the amp cooler as well, since they're MUCH quieter, but I don't know if they'll move enough air to really do any good. We'll see....

Looks great!!!! I think I might have to do this mod. Did you think about using of a shroud of some kind? That way the air could be directed. Anyway, nice job!

I have thought of a "shroud" idea, but I got lazy and didn't feel like doing it =P

I would have a strip of material going down the left and right sides of the AMP, outside the heatsink fins, so the air would go directly through the fin structure. Only thing I can't see about it is how to keep them in place. maybe drilling holes through the amp where there are no components then putting some coat hanger wire through it, and make arms at the ends to hold it in place. maybe I can draw up what I mean.

an idea, maybe you could have the fans pulling air up off of them, since the warm air wants to rise anyway, maybe if you do the shroud stuff turn them around to suck air out.
i am not sure if this would help any but it is an idea.

~Magick_Man~

Nice mod! Do the fans give any electrial interference? I know when I put my desk fan for myself (obviously a LOT bigger), my monitor went nuts. I don't know if it is the same for amps?

Spec

Not at all. I think if the 80mm fans did any electrical interferance, you'd have data transfer problems with your comp, since it's just a case fan.

I was able to rig up the Panaflo's to the bracket before I left to work this morning and solder a connector to them. I got home from work around 7:30 PM (it's 10:44 right now) and powered the speakers on to listen to some stuff and I fell asleep (just woke up). So far it's fine, staying nice and cool. I can't even hear these fans. So nice :)

I must say, this little mod I did has definately put my mind at ease for the life of my speaker system. I've heard a lot of instances where the rear channels die after a year or so of use with the Z-680s. I've owned these since the middle of November 04 and they're still going strong, just like new.

On a side note, the warranty has expired on these speakers. I contacted Logitech about getting a replacment remote andthe gal said the warrenty was out but that she would talk to her manager and see what she could do. She came back and said they'll send one right and asked for my contact info! I think it'll be good to have around as a spare since I never use the control pod controls. The Z-680s have been discontinued and I bet you the spare parts and remotes will be out of stock or sold off as extra storage pretty soon. For those of you with this speaker system, I recomend getting a replacement remote this year, at least by Q3 of this year.

Do you know anything about the Z-5500 D's like have you heard of them overheating or anything? Cause the little heatsink on the back of my sub is warm but not extermely hot. I like what you do very resourceful good use of some spare things youd never use huh. :rolleyes:

Nah, the Z5500s don't get near as hot as this thing does. I'd say that after two hours of listening to music or watching a movie with the volume at half way, bass at the lowest but still on, it gets about 70C - the heat I feel is the same as what my video card heatsink gets to when playing games after 30 minutes, which is 70C. The Z-680's amp heatsink is effective, which you can tell by how hot it gets. Without any airflow over those fins though, it's like running an Intel Celeron Tualatin without a fan on the heatsink. Sure it runs cool when not loaded down, but once you throw something at it and as it to do it constantly, it'll sure heat up.

I definately think that adding the fans has saved the life of my Z-680s a dozen times when having bass wars wiht my little bro's 5" sub logitech set. :)

Nice idea!

Only suggestion, try mounting em on the middle of the sink fins, thatway it pushes air evenly over the entire thing, not just the top of the unit.

Back