• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LogMeIn issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
My Windows 7 install is long overdue for a reinstall, but I'd like to prolong that as much as I can.

I'm having an issue with LogMeIn that I didn't have before. Without changing any software (to my knowledge), my computer was getting stuck in "Aero Basic" (AKA: Ugly mode) after remoting into the computer. Even restarting would not fix the issue. I ran the "Aero troubleshooter" and it said the "LogMeIn Mirror Driver" was preventing it from running normally. If I disabled this in the Device Manager, restarted and re-enabled it, it worked fine until I remoted in again. I found a "solution" that says to just leave this driver disabled since it isn't needed to remote in (what is it for then?). This did solve that issue.

In conjunction with that video issue, the sound on my system start "breaking" when listening to music. I'm using Foobar2000 as the media player, FLAC audio files with a 5s audio pre-load. Meaning, it isn't that the server can't keep up. If I restart, it fixes this problem.

I like LogMeIn for its simplicity, but the troubles I'm having more frequently with their product makes me want to not use it. So, if we are not able to resolve these issues, I'm looking for a different way to access my computer.

I've only used Teamviewer and it works like a charm. The only downside is it needs to be installed on both systems. I know theres web based systems out their that only require software installed on the PC you're trying to access but I haven't tried them.

Teamviewer is free and has some pretty awesome settings / functions, including being able to setup and save connections and being able to log into your target without needing to do anything on it's end. It can also login from the windows login screen which is handy if you wake your target computer up at a required time.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

thideras - i have not run into that issue before. when i connect remotely it does change to basic, but when i disconnect it reverts back to aero and there is a message in the sys tray saying that the it had changed.

have you updated your gfx drivers recently?
have you tried to remove logmein and reinstall?
try running the windows experience indexer.

Drivers have been the same since the install. I have tried to remove and reinstall LogMeIn, same result. No other programs are having an issue and I don't think this is driver related since the video issues is different than the sound issue. The video issue is "resolved" since I just have the mirror driver disabled, but the sound is the most annoying part. Having skips in my audio is unacceptable.

I'm not sure what the experience indexer is going to do or why you suggested this. That just gives [useless] values on the [arbitrary] specifications of my computer.

i have seen machines that would not run aero until you run the wei, it must do some type of change to the system since it enables it after running wei. in either case it doesn't hurt to try.

Hmm, something to try. Main issue right now, though, is still the sound. The Aero works fine (enables/disables correctly), but the sound is intolerable. I'd rather not have access to my computer than have to restart every time I remote in.

is the audio issue only present on Foobar2000 or do other apps that use audio experience the same issue? have you tried winamp to play the flac files? Are you using onboard audio or a sound card, and have you tried just disabling and enabling the audio device in device manager instead of a reboot?

All applications show the problem. If the player was the problem, I will switch remote programs before I move away from Foobar. It is just that good of a program.

I got Teamviewer installed, but I selected the wrong version at the other location and it is a 7 day trial. Apparently, it stores information remotely, so I can't just reinstall and get the right version. They also do not support non-paying customers; so that kind of bites. I'll consider purchasing it, though, it is really nice.

Update your video and sound drivers and if you haven't checked recently it might be a good time to update your bios to the most current version.

Teamviewer is working great. Only thing I need to find out is if I can force it to lock the computer once I log out or get disconnected.

LogMeIn worked well, but being tied to a browser had drawbacks. If that tab (or window) crashed, it took the entire browser with it; trying to view it at work is annoying when it decides to go belly up.

Last edited:
For those that are curious, after an operating system reinstall, LogMeIn seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what the issue was.

I've used LogMeIn, like, forever. (Ok, not forever, but you get the idea.)

Never had an issue with W7, but then again I do an OS re-install every few months so :shrug: YMMV.

Glad to hear it's working again. :thup:

Same. Teamviewer was OK, but there were some quirks. For example, if you accidentally install the non-free version (the trial), you can't undo it and that system becomes inaccessible remotely.

Back