• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long beeps when 2 sticks of RAM inserted (only slot 3 works)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiztwin

Hello Everyone,

First of all my specs
Mobo: GA-970A-D3 v1.1 (just updated bios with @BioS)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965
GPU: Geforce GTX275
RAM: Corsair 8gb (2x4gb) cmz8gx3m2a1600c9 (9-9-9-24 1.5v)
PSU: Corsair GS800 (overkill i know, but was priced wrong and got cheap)

Ok, so I just ordered my new ram and am trying to get my system to boot with 8gbs. The system will work if booted by either RAM stick slotted alone in only slot 3. As soon as I install a stick in 1/2/4 though I get series of long beeps (3 repeating). This is regardless of whether they are in 1/3 or 2/4, or just a single RAM slotted in either 1 2 or 4... Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that slots 1 2 and 4 are all dead? How would I test this?

I've tried playing around with voltages and whatnot in BIOS but i don't really know what I'm doing. I set voltage to 1.5v and it stopped booting even with one and I had to reset CMOS.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Yes it works with the old ram (I only had one stick slotted in slot 3 though for years because one of my old two was dead. It is G.SKILL RipjawsX 2gb (part of a 2 stick 4gb set) f3-12800cl9D-4gbxl ddr3-1600 12800 9-9-9-24 1.5v

EDIT: Thanks for the welcome :)

I guess you could download Memtest86 and test your two new sticks one at a time in slot 3, but it really seems your motherboard is bad since your old memory only works in slot 3 too. Gigabyte has a 3 year warranty in the US. If your board is less than 3 years old, I'd start the RMA process to get a replacement.

Looking at the manual it should work in slots 1/3 or 2/4 using 2 sticks.
If you were not using 1,2 and 4 slots for longer than I would suggest to use something to clean slots from dust. Can be canned air or anything else. I would use tissue with alcohol but it's not recommended when you aren't sure what are you doing as you can damage pins in slot.
So if you check that memory is fine and cleaning slots in some easy way won't help then better contact with Gigabyte support and ask them what to do or simply make RMA.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This is now partially solved I suppose.

I finally got it working by placing one RAM in slot 3 and one RAM in slot 4. I have 8 gigs of ram now but at single channel. As far as I can tell slots 1 and 2 are just dead.

Try installing one module in the 1st DIMM slot, boot to the BIOS and manually adjust the Memory Clock to x8.00 (200 HT bus x 8.0 = DDR3-1600), DRAM voltage to 1.55, and 1T/2T Command Timing to 2T (the rest of the DRAM timings set to Auto). Save and exit, then shut down and install the 2nd module in the 3rd DIMM slot. You shouldn't really need to, but you may also need to bump the NB and / or the CPU-NB voltage.

Try installing one module in the 1st DIMM slot, boot to the BIOS and manually adjust the Memory Clock to x8.00 (200 HT bus x 8.0 = DDR3-1600), DRAM voltage to 1.55, and 1T/2T Command Timing to 2T (the rest of the DRAM timings set to Auto). Save and exit, then shut down and install the 2nd module in the 3rd DIMM slot. You shouldn't really need to, but you may also need to bump the NB and / or the CPU-NB voltage.

Unfortunately it wasn't booting at all with one RAM in slot 1. It would only boot with 1 RAM in slot 3... (had slot names screwed up earlier

Could I do this method in reverse by booting it with slot 3, doing said changes, then adding it to slot 1?

Sure, but if it won't POST w/ only 1 x module installed in the 1st DIMM slot (closest to the CPU; possibly the one furthest) then there's a problem. Check out the correct orientation from the manual...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Oh ok, well mine is like that picture then with slot 1 the furthest from the CPU. It will only boot with a 1 RAM if it is inserted in slot 2. Any other slot won't boot. It also wont boot with any combo other than 2/4. That is how I have it now (the two closest to the CPU). So it only gives me single channel 8gb (2x4gb). If you try anything else it just gives you three long beeps which isnt listed as a beep code in the manual (but have seen it in other online forums/questions as people figuring out that it is a memory problem).

My first ASRock z87 board had a dead channel A right out of the box. Lucky for me, I bought it locally and was able to swap it at the store for a replacement.

Is your board less than 3 years old? If so, you should get it swapped out for another board (IMHO).

Back