• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long-term stability of Arctic Silver/Ceramique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if i may, i'd like to take a stab at this since its gonna be stalemate soon

making only educated gueses, i'd say the following:

1. the "controlled triple-phase viscosity" is true, and must be, because all things "paste" will most likely either harden or "settle" from the following: heat, gravity, and air contact

nevin *may* have stated before (i dunno if he really has): that the storage life for the tim paste can be a few decades in a fridge; which means that assuming that the paste was sealed, it would mostly likely mean that less heat within the paste is a direct influence upon the "life" or characteristics of the paste or can affect to an extent the characteristics of it

2. gravity; since arctic silver products *should* contain particles which are "suspended" within some kind of oil or what the company itself refers to as "suspension fluid" there might also be a chance that the particles *can* also either *sink* or *condense* to the bottom or float to the top, etc... i am assuming that arctic silver people are smart, so that the "suspension fluid" and the particles within have *very similar* or almost identical mass, so as to further prolong the life of the product so them silver or what have ya doesn't just *sink* or something. BUT, since there is also a possibility that the mass of the particles taken was just an average, some of the particles WILL fall or *settle* on top of each other with greater density and with pressure applied, the "suspension fluid" will be either sqeezed out or with sufficent heat the fluid will evaporate to a certain extent. the fluid *could* also contain TWO OR MORE possible other fluids that that will not evaporate but *will* take up LESS mass as to still keep the particles suspended and possibly bonded, but not as much

it is also possible that the paste or oils within might also have their own life-times and will break down with enough given exposure to either heat, gravity, or otherwise

3. and air; obviously the stuff *does* tend to dry out after a while so i am assuming that them "suspension fliuds" obviously go somewhere, e.g. evaporated or something, so as to leave more room for the paste particles or what have ya, but it does go away, and also leaving us with our third stage of the "controlled triple-phase viscosity"

obviously this is not accurate information provided by arctic silver and i don't work with thermal pastes but its the best i could come up with off the top of my head, as to also say that there might even be MORE stages or phases to the viscosity change, but i would not be able to tell unless i had some serious equipment

at least everyone now knows that there are at least THREE "phases" or what have ya

but also, nevin, (or anyone arctic silver) if you would like this post removed just say so, i don't mind, but you gotta say, and also if you got stuff to either add or change or anything, then by all means i'd love to hear it (i'm not being sarcastic) and by all means please

you too ronnie, love to hear from ya too but plz keep it persuasive

and one more thing Silversinksam, hows that swiftech vs dangerden gpu comparison comming (i'd love to know), and also would you by any chance know how much the DD maze 4 gpu weighs?

SSS,
You leave me no choice but to call you an AS FANBOY, you just loooooooove AS so much, don't you...

Search my previous posts, I donate info and ideas to this forum, too.

fafnir,
AS Inc. claims it thickens in 50 to 200 hours.

1) If heat causes the viscosity change then leaving the syringe in a warm environment for a week will thicken it

2) It can't be gravity because AS doesn't separate in 200 hours, in fact, separation is not a desireable characteristic.

3) If it starts to dry out in only 200 hours then it should be crusty in a month or 2, which is not the case. If there is a volatile component that evaporates then leaving the syringe loosely-capped will thicken the contents.

You people want to see a grease that REALLY THICKENS? Gelease: http://www.thermoset.com/thermal_i.html

Last edited:
MuEagle05 said:
LoL. Is that the company that is sending YOU free samples? You're not neutral then

Silly, I found it on Google!

LOL!!!!!

PS Have you returned the DVD burner yet? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i'm not saying its desirable, but apparently if a dab of the stuff was left in an oven at 400 C it does seem to dry quite a bit

in ONE hour

shin etsu also does this BTW, but not as much

and to an extent, the oil does *seperate* from the syringe if you left the syringe upside down for a month and then applied some, you'll see that the first a drop or so is just oil

but so far arctic silver products has never given me problems and/or issues; it has provided an improvement from the *normal* generic pastes included with heatsinks. i do believe there is room for improvement though; so keep up the good work people

and ronnie, one more thing, ever tried toothpaste as a tim? you'd be surprised how well the stuff works, and i'm not kidding ya either

I'm guessing ronnie is aware of the toothpaste thing, it was an article at dansdata.com a while ago and the topic has been kicked around here for quite some time now.

fafnir,
yes the hotter it is the faster it'll dry out, particularly if you exceed it's rated limits.

The oil does separate, but if it does that in only 200 hours then you have a bad grease...

Vegemite.... never seen that around here, I guess it's an Aussie thing... I do wonder if gel toothpaste works better than white toothpaste...

1) If heat causes the viscosity change then leaving the syringe in a warm environment for a week will thicken it

I really doubt that, because alot of processors put off 65+ watts of heat in an extremely small area. A "warm enviroment" isnt gonna do anything. It would take months before you noticed it was thicker. If it takes atleast 50hours with the paste transfering that much heat to thicken you might as well take number one off that list. Take heck of a lot longer than a week buddy.:p

"Jiggling" Firestorm??

hmmm ... I guess a bad choice of phrase on my part has lead this thread discussion onto a tangent ... "jiggling" is probably better used to describe an old Charlie's Angels episode I watched as a youth:)

Anyway, what I was attempting to describe here was the phenominon of moving an already seated heatsink and the possible effect on the thermal grease. I've read some really good replies on this, so I won't belabor the point. However, what I have noticed is that depending on the age of the thermal grease, it's particle type, and the carrier fluid, moving the heatsink after installation can sometimes hurt, sometimes improve temps. In this case, I was thinking about moving the heatsink, under force to keep it in contact, a mm or so side to side, to maybe better flow the thermal grease once it has had a chance to fill in the small micro voids in the finish. With some compunds it helps, others it hurts the temps. I think the effects will depend on time and grease and whether it dries out over time. In any case, old grease can degrade as the carrier compounds of the grease evaporate, leaving only a thick paste, then later moving the heat sink will definately be a bad thing.

My 2 cents.

KK

PS: "Charlie is on the phone to the Angels"

Back