• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a build critique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LookN4Me707

I am in the process of building a new machine. Listed is what I have chosen so far. I plan to do a lot of gaming, a little overclocking, some AutoCAD design and some media and web surfing. I am up for any recommendations (that are within a reasonable price range and supported). Thank in advance for the ideas.

Attachments

• Comp Build.JPG
    Comp Build.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 69
I'd go with a Corsair AX1200 instead of that PSU.
Remember, if you're planning to SLI later, that ASUS has a tri-slot cooler on that. Think you'll be fine on the MIVE though.

Why the Velociraptor? Or the EXTREMELY expensive motherboard?

Personally, I'd go with a GA-Z68-UD5, a Spinpoint F3 instead of the WD Black, drop the Velociraptor, drop the PSU down, and you *might* be able to fit another 580 in there. What vendor are you using?

I'd go with a Corsair AX1200 instead of that PSU.
Remember, if you're planning to SLI later, that ASUS has a tri-slot cooler on that. Think you'll be fine on the MIVE though.

Why the Velociraptor? Or the EXTREMELY expensive motherboard?

Personally, I'd go with a GA-Z68-UD5, a Spinpoint F3 instead of the WD Black, drop the Velociraptor, drop the PSU down, and you *might* be able to fit another 580 in there. What vendor are you using?

He wants the NF200, I'd imagine. Also the ROG boards do offer a lot more in terms of functionality. Most people will never use it, but there are reasons to go for such a board. All of the fan headers are PWM and there are 10 or so, for example.

I agree that the Velociraptor seems pointless.

I think it would be a good idea to consider dropping the Velociraptor and I agree something like an AX series is a better choice than a cooler master PSU. I'd consider taking the savings from the removed Velociraptor and maybe look at going GTX590 or 6990 for the GPU.

May want to check the release date for the Maximus 4 Z as that would take all of the Maximus 4's features and add more, like SSD caching, and the ability to use the igpu and gpu simultaneously.

You may also want to look at the Thermalright Archon instead of the D14 as it is similar in cooling performance (few degrees inferior) but takes up much less space. The D14 covers memory and must be removed on many mobos in order to access your RAM. The Sandybridge CPU runs a bit cooler than the previous gen so you can go a little bit lower on the cooler and get good performance.

I agree with the others, I would go with a Corsair Power Supply other than that the system looks good.

Also don't understand the Velociraptor, you already have an SSD and a 1tb HDD.

Back