• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a mobo to unlock cores of phII x2 550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikos21aek

Hi guys.
I m lookin for the cheapest mobo that supports 550 and has ACC in its feautures.
I dont want ddr3 ram slots.
Only with ddr2.
Does anyone knows if asrock mobos support this cpu?
Ι dont see 550 in the support list even in the latest chipset am3 mobos
Sorry if my English are bad but I dont speak the language well..:(

hello, i had the same question when I decided to register here :)

I have found these two motherboards:
MSI 770-C45
and
GA-MA770-UD3 GIGA-BYTE

I read that both of them are good for overclocking.

Anyways, i wanted to ask if they support Pheom II 550BE. The problem is that they support AM3, but on supported CPUs list they only list Phenom II 3 and 4.

So could anyone tell me please if I order 550BE, is it going to work with any of these two motherboards?

Thanks

Is there any point in acc, I presume you need it too unlock this fourth core etc! I have a Phenom II x3 and it handles anything without a fourth core! Instead of the x2, why not just get an x3 720BE, my one was £110 a couple of month ago! Bargain!

Maybe you could save and get a better board as well, it depends on what cheap is to you, I would save for a 790 chipset board. You wont regret it!

@wamplex go to the the boards support site e-mail them and look up the model you are going to buy and check for bios updates to support the 550BE, as you might need to stick an am2 cpu in there to update the bios!

Most boards should already have the latest bios to support the 550, but if they dont you will have to have another cpu to update the bios, so you will would need a board that supports the PII straight out the box!

But as Quietice said there shouldnt be a problem if the board supports the x3 and x4 as my board needed a bios update to support my x3!

Last edited:
I suggest the Biostar TA790GX 128M.

However, you can't update to the latest bios. Stick with the January one for unlocking the X2 550. I didn't have any luck at all with the newest bios.

As far as I know, all Gigabyte and Asus motherboards with a SB750 will now unlock the 4th core. My own experience with the Asus M4A78-E is that the fourth core is unlockable (tried both 720BE and 550BE), but it suffers from a cold-boot problem where the computer won't start properly. The biostar doesn't have this problem at all.

^^good point, I have both the TA790GX and the 128M. both are great boards but the 128M overclocks Little better, don't ask why it just dose. they have all the same bios options, but I allays manage to get that extra 100MHZ on the 128M :)

The ASRock A780GMH/128M Micro ATX Board is very good and only $71.99US. I currently have it and was able to unlock all 4 cores. If you look this mobo up it will say it has a SB710 but I assure it has it has ACC and AOD available. CPU-Z show my SB as SB750 but the model is A780GMH/128M.

I suggest the Biostar TA790GX 128M.

However, you can't update to the latest bios. Stick with the January one for unlocking the X2 550. I didn't have any luck at all with the newest bios.

As far as I know, all Gigabyte and Asus motherboards with a SB750 will now unlock the 4th core. My own experience with the Asus M4A78-E is that the fourth core is unlockable (tried both 720BE and 550BE), but it suffers from a cold-boot problem where the computer won't start properly. The biostar doesn't have this problem at all.

Hi I have the same motherboard as you, biostar TA790GX 128M, got 550 BE batch 0925 APMW. other people have unlocked this batch using other biostar boards but not mine. Care to share your settings on your successful unlock? thanks in advance :)

There is another option now. If you are on a budget get a board with the 710 South Bridge chipset, a recent addtion to the AMD chipset series that will also unlock the cores.

Back