• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with am3 mobos[suggestions]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ion_ftw

Registered
hello guys,
i want to tell you my long story short and need help.
so i bought a sapphire 6850 1 gb gfx card for my pc
my pc is: gigabyte m61pme-s2p mobo( am2+ slot type,2 memory slots, 2 sata ports :|, dual bios etc.)
phenom2 x2 550(i think its 3.1 ghz)
currently i m using it on a am2+ socket
when i tried to fit this gfx card in my old mobo.it blocked my sata ports because of its huge size (only 2 ports in that mobo and right next to pci 16 slot) :(
so now i need to buy a new mobo which supports my old processor and i need to confirm will my processor will be supported by am3 boards? or i just have to buy an old am2+ board? i also wanted to unlock cores of this processor.so please confirm if this processor supports am3 boards or not?
i recently ordered a seasonic 520 watt psu, a cooler master elite cabinet.now i need to buy a low budget mobo( im out of cash) and
also confirm how much frequency of ram is supported by my processor and can i use corsair vengeance 1600 mhz with am3(only if its supported by my processor). i can not afford to buy new processor as i invested kinda much in gfx,psu and cabinet already.

so in short. 1. i need to confirm will my processor(amd phneom 2 x2 550) will support am3 mobo? (currently in am2+ )
2. please suggest me a good mobo with overclock option. p.s- i need 2+ cooling fan ports in p'cular mobo
3.will this am3 mobo and my processor support corsair vengeance ram?

and other suggestions are most welcomes

thanks and regards
ion

Last edited:
Any AM3 or AM3+ motherboard will support that processor and should also work with DDR3 Corsair Vengence ram. Don't go cheap on the motherboard if you want to unlock cores and overclock. Get a motherboard rated for at least 125w TDP and with a heatsink on the mosfet/VRM area between the CPU socket and the I/O ports at the back edge of the board.

Also, concerning the SATA ports being blocked, you can get SATA cables with connector ends that form a right angle (90 degrees) that might circumvent that problem.

thanks trents,can always count on you for help :)
but just take a look at this link.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X2 550 - HDX550WFK2DGM (HDX550WFGMBOX).html
this says my processor supports am2+ and am3 board only.
its 550, not 560(560 supports am3+ i think)
i just dont want to risk,like if i bought a am3+,and processor didnt boot up? its been like 2 and half year since i bought this processor.so its kinda older than am3+ mobos were launched,

thanks trents,can always count on you for help :)
but just take a look at this link.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X2 550 - HDX550WFK2DGM (HDX550WFGMBOX).html
this says my processor supports am2+ and am3 board only.
its 550, not 560(560 supports am3+ i think)
i just dont want to risk,like if i bought a am3+,and processor didnt boot up? its been like 2 and half year since i bought this processor.so its kinda older than am3+ mobos were launched,

ion_ftw, that information may not be current. That CPU World info was probably published before AM3+ came out. What it's really trying to communicate is that the CPU will not work with AM2. I'm sure it will work with AM3+. Just make sure you check the CPU compatibility list of any boards you are considering.

Of course this site does not ship to India but this is 'representative' of a pretty good motherboard. It is AM3+ cpu ready. It has VRM heatsinks for overclocking without VRM overheat problems in general.

ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

This is the link to the supported cpus page for the ASUS M5A97 EVO AM3+ motherboard. If you look you will see this AM3+ mobo supports your P2 X2 550 cpu.

Phenom IIX2 550 (HDZ550WFK2DGI), 3.1GHz, 80W,rev.C2, SocketAM3, Dual-Core ALL 0402

i suggest the board i have. its a asus m5a88-v its got a core unlocker function. great o/c tools. and if you ever want to upgrade to a am3+ you can with ease. it also has 2 three pin connecters for fans and a 4 pin for cpu fan. i also noticed when i i put my phenom 560 in it the speed was much better some how.

or go with the 970 like rgone said. almost the same board

so,i bought this m5a97 mobo
installed it on cooler master elite with my phenom x2 550(non be) and with a cosair vangeance ram,pushed power button.pc started but hey,no display on monitor.
helppppppppppp!.

Did you remember to plug the PSU into the graphics card? Also, check your monitor cable. If neither of those work, try putting the card in the other x16 slot on the motherboard. If you've done all that, and the last step worked, you likely have a dead or only partially working x16 slot, so an RMA is probably in order. If not, I'd say it's probably the card.

@ harry.
see i told you,problem is with ram
i used my friends ram and it worked just fine,system boot up.
so my processor doesnt work with 1600 mhz ram,so currently im using 1300 mhz of ram

Back