• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is great. I'm looking for a new card for a rig I would like to build in the near future.

1)
CPU = Pentium D 805
Motherboard = Asus P5LD2
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM =1 Gig
PSU =Fortoron 500W
Current Video Card = none

2) What is your budget? I'd like to spend as little as possible.
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 2 years, max
4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.

What would be good for me?

yog said:
This is great. I'm looking for a new card for a rig I would like to build in the near future.

1)
CPU = Pentium D 805
Motherboard = Asus P5LD2
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM =1 Gig
PSU =Fortoron 500W
Current Video Card = none

2) What is your budget? I'd like to spend as little as possible.
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 2 years, max
--- b) Mixed = Some gaming but not much, a card that will let me play at least at medium/high settings.

What would be good for me?

Are you looking for worse, better, or eqivilant performance to the x800Pro you have in your signature? Knowing what your standard is (knowing the card you've used before) helps me (and prolly others) better determine the more exact performance your looking for.

I just upgraded to the x800 from a 9600. I'm looking for something along the same lines as the x800 I just got. I was thinking about an x850xt that newegg has for $150. I'd like to spend around $150.

Thanks for you help

First off, first post. I've just found this forum and am building a new computer. So these specs will be my new computer specs.

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = AMD Athlon x2 3800+
Motherboard = Asus A8N5x |
PCI-E / AGP = PCIE
RAM = 2 X 1gb PC 3200
PSU = Thermaltke 430 W
Current Video Card = ATi Radeon x700 pro
etc.

2) What is your budget? $200-300
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1+ Years
XXX a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

occamsrezr said:
First off, first post. I've just found this forum and am building a new computer. So these specs will be my new computer specs.

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = AMD Athlon x2 3800+
Motherboard = Asus A8N5x |
PCI-E / AGP = PCIE
RAM = 2 X 1gb PC 3200
PSU = Thermaltke 430 W
Current Video Card = ATi Radeon x700 pro
etc.

2) What is your budget? $200-300
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1+ Years
XXX a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

OK well first off, I'm going to HIGHLY suggest you ditch that PSU, I really doubt your system will be stable with such a PSU (I say so because of the manufactuer), check out our Cases and Power Supplies section, post your specs, and they will help you pick out a suitable PSU.

BTW, do you prefer ATi or nVidia? I have an nVidia biased for high end cards, so I wanna know that first.

I checked the prices for nVidia, and I'd say either the 7800GT or 7900GT would fit your price range. Those are top of the line (in the nVidia section) with only the GTX's above them.

I do not know about the x1800 or x1900 lines by ATI, so I can't say if those would be better or worse.

Last edited:
yog said:
I just upgraded to the x800 from a 9600. I'm looking for something along the same lines as the x800 I just got. I was thinking about an x850xt that newegg has for $150. I'd like to spend around $150.

Thanks for you help

In that case, the x850XT might be your best bet, nVidia doesn't offer anything that cheap with equivilant performance.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for tipping me off to the upcoming releases in the GPU area .. decided to wait a bit and watch the prices drop further .. logrus, If I'm going to be running the system that I described earlier with an x1800, will my antec truepower 430W PSU do the job? It's a little over a year old, it'd be nice if it will suffice so I can funnel that cash back into other system components, if not what would you recommend? Brand / Wattage to power the system I already posted and the x1800. Thanks for all your help, this has been a lifesaver.

-Semper Fi

Updated my posts^ in case some of you guys looked @ them already.

SemperFiGuy said:
Hey, thanks for tipping me off to the upcoming releases in the GPU area .. decided to wait a bit and watch the prices drop further .. logrus, If I'm going to be running the system that I described earlier with an x1800, will my antec truepower 430W PSU do the job? It's a little over a year old, it'd be nice if it will suffice so I can funnel that cash back into other system components, if not what would you recommend? Brand / Wattage to power the system I already posted and the x1800. Thanks for all your help, this has been a lifesaver.

-Semper Fi

I'd check the PSU/Case section dude, their very very knowledgable on PSUs and would prolly give you the best suggestions.

jcw122 said:
OK well first off, I'm going to HIGHLY suggest you ditch that PSU, I really doubt your system will be stable with such a PSU (I say so because of the manufactuer), check out our Cases and Power Supplies section, post your specs, and they will help you pick out a suitable PSU.

BTW, do you prefer ATi or nVidia? I have an nVidia biased for high end cards, so I wanna know that first.

I checked the prices for nVidia, and I'd say either the 7800GT or 7900GT would fit your price range. Those are top of the line (in the nVidia section) with only the GTX's above them.

I do not know about the x1800 or x1900 lines by ATI, so I can't say if those would be better or worse.

I've had both good and bad experiences with ATi and Nvidia. What I'm trying to figure out is where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck.

Also, unfortunately, I've already ordered the PSU so I'm stuck with it for a bit. I suppose I'll just use it until it starts flaking out on me. Then I'll go from there. Any more ideas about vid cards?

Thanks for your help and info.

Logrus had mentioned that he was concerned about the ability of my PSU to handle the setup I had configured. I had replaced the case of my PSU with a smoked lexan on so I couldn't tell him exactly what brand / wattage I was running... that is, until two days ago when I dug through my parts bin and found the old cover. He had said that he was concerned about the 400W type PSU and it's performance in either a 3700+ or 4000+ San-Diego setup with the added strain of the x1800 or Nvidia equivalent. Logrus, I haven't found anyone to tell me that the 430W truepower from Antec isn't a viable solution, but I'm looking for that second opinion from you guys here in the GPU thread. Thanks for the help.

-Semper Fi

SemperFiGuy said:
Logrus had mentioned that he was concerned about the ability of my PSU to handle the setup I had configured. I had replaced the case of my PSU with a smoked lexan on so I couldn't tell him exactly what brand / wattage I was running... that is, until two days ago when I dug through my parts bin and found the old cover. He had said that he was concerned about the 400W type PSU and it's performance in either a 3700+ or 4000+ San-Diego setup with the added strain of the x1800 or Nvidia equivalent. Logrus, I haven't found anyone to tell me that the 430W truepower from Antec isn't a viable solution, but I'm looking for that second opinion from you guys here in the GPU thread. Thanks for the help.

-Semper Fi

I have that same exact PSU! Its an Antec TruePower 430 Watts. It handles the AMD64 3200+ setup in my sig and as you can see its a pretty "hungry" system. I've had no trouble what'so'ever for:

AMD64 3200+
2GB
1xHDD
1xCDRW
1xDVDRW
ATi X800XTPE
Audigy 2 ZS
Extra WiFi card
Extra TV Tuner card
USB Powered Scanner (not always connected though)

And all that is handled greatly by this 430 watt PSU :cool:

BTW, it shows voltages as follows:

12V ~ 11.89V
5V ~ 4.99V
3.3V ~ 3.25V

I've never had instability issues and this PC is usually used for Heavy Gaming (When there's time :)).

Found this thread to be interesting, although its for SLI or CrossFire, still a good read: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=451493

UPDATE: I found this thread to be very helpfull for the both Quotes of this post. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=451460 Its about X1800XT vs 7900GT

occamsrezr said:
I've had both good and bad experiences with ATi and Nvidia. What I'm trying to figure out is where I'm going to get the most bang for my buck.

Also, unfortunately, I've already ordered the PSU so I'm stuck with it for a bit. I suppose I'll just use it until it starts flaking out on me. Then I'll go from there. Any more ideas about vid cards?

Thanks for your help and info.

For the 1) Time frame you're going to use your card. 2) Budget 3) Current selection, I'd probably go with the ATi X1800XT 256MB that goes for about $289+shipping on NewEgg.com. LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698

What games you're thinking to play mostly?

Last edited:
LogRus said:
I have that same exact PSU! Its an Antec TruePower 430 Watts. It handles the AMD64 3200+ setup in my sig and as you can see its a pretty "hungry" system. I've had no trouble what'so'ever for:

AMD64 3200+
2GB
1xHDD
1xCDRW
1xDVDRW
ATi X800XTPE
Audigy 2 ZS
Extra WiFi card
Extra TV Tuner card
USB Powered Scanner (not always connected though)

And all that is handled greatly by this 430 watt PSU :cool:

BTW, it shows voltages as follows:

12V ~ 11.89V
5V ~ 4.99V
3.3V ~ 3.25V

I've never had instability issues and this PC is usually used for Heavy Gaming (When there's time :)).

Found this thread to be interesting, although its for SLI or CrossFire, still a good read: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=451493

UPDATE: I found this thread to be very helpfull for the both Quotes of this post. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=451460 Its about X1800XT vs 7900GT

For the 1) Time frame you're going to use your card. 2) Budget 3) Current selection, I'd probably go with the ATi X1800XT 256MB that goes for about $289+shipping on NewEgg.com. LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698

What games you're thinking to play mostly?

Bf2 mainly. Other stuff as it comes along. But I want something to run battlefield pretty solidly.

CPU = Pentium D 2.8Ghz
Motherboard = Dell 0HJ054 :(
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM = 2x512 DDR2 PC4300
PSU = 305Watt
Current Video Card = ATI x300SE 128MB HyperMemory

A little bit of gaming, nothing too hardcore. I'd like to be able to run CS:Source without any glitches and at a good frame rate @ 1680x1050. Maybe play some COD/BF?

Not looking to spend over $200..I was eyeing the 7600GT's ala NewEgg, anyone have some suggestions? I know that my PSU is too weak to run 7800's and up without swapping the PS out.

Thanks!

luder503 said:
CPU = Pentium D 2.8Ghz
Motherboard = Dell 0HJ054 :(
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM = 2x512 DDR2 PC4300
PSU = 305Watt
Current Video Card = ATI x300SE 128MB HyperMemory

A little bit of gaming, nothing too hardcore. I'd like to be able to run CS:Source without any glitches and at a good frame rate @ 1680x1050. Maybe play some COD/BF?

Not looking to spend over $200..I was eyeing the 7600GT's ala NewEgg, anyone have some suggestions? I know that my PSU is too weak to run 7800's and up without swapping the PS out.

Thanks!

Well first off, to run any faster card, you might need a better PSU, I'll edited this post when I get back home, so I can search for a card.

jcw122 said:
Well first off, to run any faster card, you might need a better PSU, I'll edited this post when I get back home, so I can search for a card.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah I figured I'd have to change my PSU for a really nice card, but my current budget doesn't allow me to pick up something really high end, nor do I need something like that. I was contemplating on just waiting for DX 10 cards to come out (for Vista) but im not sure I can wait that long. Again, your help is much appreciated.

occamsrezr said:
Bf2 mainly. Other stuff as it comes along. But I want something to run battlefield pretty solidly.

For BF2, I would take X1800XT for the matter. It had won in almost all BF2 ATi/nVidia reviews that I've seen.

Just a couple:

1) http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7900_gt_gtx_performance/page10.asp
2) http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2717&p=6
3) http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?skrivelse=449&page=10

So far I didn't see better results from BF2's performance charts for nVidia's 7900GT nor 7800GTX isn't always better. Although this cannot be said about other games, there isn't much difference, so IMO, ATi X1800XT is most likely the way to go since BF2 will be your main game. X1800XT 512MB for about $39-49 more would be the better choice if you don't mind the extra $$$. It is also being noticed in many reviews that ATi has better IQ then nVidia in some cases. Unfortunately I cannot confirm this as I don't have either X1800XT nor 7900GT.

luder503 said:
Thanks a lot for your help!

Yeah I figured I'd have to change my PSU for a really nice card, but my current budget doesn't allow me to pick up something really high end, nor do I need something like that. I was contemplating on just waiting for DX 10 cards to come out (for Vista) but im not sure I can wait that long. Again, your help is much appreciated.

I don't really know if DELL PSU's are good enough at these watts. But I would still strongly suggest changing it. Although it might be a little of a problem since Dell does not work w/generic PSU's (you might burn your hardware if you try).

Here's a very interesting review of the nVidia 7600GT cards that you're looking for: http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/326/4/ <- This particular page talks about PSU usage, you can go to other pages to see their benchmarks and such.

I am too waiting for the Vista w/DX10 before I upgrade but my hardware is different :p. Yours isn't, so a move to 7600GT would most likely be about enogh, maybe even less since you're going to need a PSU as well and its going to be pretty expensive if you will not change that DELL mobo! I don't know about their PSU's power, but I do know that generic PSU's DO NOT work w/DELL motherboards!

Last edited:
CPU = Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton)
Motherboard = Abit NF-7S
PCI-E / AGP = AGP
RAM = 1.5 GB PC3200
PSU = Antec 450W
Current Video Card = Radeon 9800Pro 128MB

2) What is your budget? Between $200-300

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1.5-2 years, until I build a new machine

--- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play. If possible, please put them in the following sections:

Mainly looking for something that will play oblivion on pretty good settings, basically I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Don't care if it is ATI or nVidia. I know my options are limited because it's AGP, but I don't have the option of upgrading my MB at this time.

dzokvic said:
CPU = Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton)
Motherboard = Abit NF-7S
PCI-E / AGP = AGP
RAM = 1.5 GB PC3200
PSU = Antec 450W
Current Video Card = Radeon 9800Pro 128MB

2) What is your budget? Between $200-300

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1.5-2 years, until I build a new machine

--- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

5) If Gaming, please tells us the games you're planning to play. Please list as many as you'd love to play. If possible, please put them in the following sections:

Mainly looking for something that will play oblivion on pretty good settings, basically I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Don't care if it is ATI or nVidia. I know my options are limited because it's AGP, but I don't have the option of upgrading my MB at this time.

The top notch AGP card out right now is the 7800GS (excluding its 512MB version), it goes for $300 usually, so that would be the all out best. Or if you could find a cheaper 6800GT or Ultra on second hand sale, that would be great too, even though their out of production, their one step under the 7800GS. Now if you wanted something down in the $200 range, the 6800GS would suite that, with the possiblity of unlockable pipes too.

***PLEASE NOTE***** If you ever decide on the 7800GS (nVidia), DO NOT buy the version by EVGA, many people have experienced very bad defects with that card, their's a massive thread on it on their forums.

I'd also recommend just saving up for a next level sysem instead, A64 perhaps, because I'd think your processor has the potential to hold your gaming back.

Well, wanna upgrade 1st machine in sig... My 8500 is a bit old (lol)

I was thinking going 4 6800GS or 6600GT DDR3

FeuerFrei said:
Well, wanna upgrade 1st machine in sig... My 8500 is a bit old (lol)

I was thinking going 4 6800GS or 6600GT DDR3

Either would be a smart buy, I think the 6800GS is a lil faster, and not badly priced ($200), on top of that it has 256MB over the 6600GTs 128MB (IIRC). Plus the 6800GS has unlockable pipes, doesn't always work, but some have.

I'm not sure of 6600GT prices though, might be less than $200.

Back