• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My System is Pretty Old, But I need to upgrade to be able to play CSS (Atleast 30fps!!min)

Right now i have the following Specs

1.7Ghz P4
512Mb Samsung Generic PC133 Ram
80G WDC Hard Drive
XFX Geforce Fx 5200 (OCed Right now at 300/450)
Intergrated Sound

My Budget is 200 CDN(After Shipping + Tax)

So Basically I am looking at a Geforce 6600GT(EVGA)

or a ATI 1600Pro which is slightly cheaper(about 20 dollars)

The main game i am going to play is Hl2, and CSS

Will gettting a 6600Gt or 1600Pro boost my frame rates for now? (Right now i am getting 15 - 25 fps in CSS which is not good, sometimes drop to 10 in firefights, very unplayable)

If it can get me a min of 30fps, then its fine...

Also I want to play games like COD2, Bf2, or maybe Fear

Really don't need alot of eye-candy..I usually just want to run games at 1024x768 at low or med...Even 800x600 is good enough for me..

Thanks

I really think COD2, BF2, and FEAR out of the question, that system is simply too slow/old.

BUT if you do get a card, that is an AGP system right? Or PCI-E? Wasn't sure when you said x1600Pro.

Anyway, I think teh 6600GT would supply way more than 30 FPS, it could probably do 60 FPS on medium/high settings. But either way, I think your system with REALLY REALLY hold back any newer cards. That said, you may not get teh same FPS that I would with say, the same card, but with my signature system (below).

jcw122 said:
I really think COD2, BF2, and FEAR out of the question, that system is simply too slow/old.

BUT if you do get a card, that is an AGP system right? Or PCI-E? Wasn't sure when you said x1600Pro.

Anyway, I think teh 6600GT would supply way more than 30 FPS, it could probably do 60 FPS on medium/high settings. But either way, I think your system with REALLY REALLY hold back any newer cards. That said, you may not get teh same FPS that I would with say, the same card, but with my signature system (below).

My X800XT PE died in my AMD64 3200+ sig system (the card is RMA'd), and now it temporarily has 9800XT which is about same, maybe a bit slower then the 6600GT. And I am able to play F.E.A.R. @ 1024x768 - Max + Medium settings, and CSS? 37-60fps+! And that's at all MAXIMUM LCD settings (for CSS)!

And the funny thing is that, when I had my X800XTPE, it had lower FPS then my 9800XT has now :shrug:, both had exactly same settings & latest drivers, and now I compared my Intel rig = same thing! AMD64 + 9800XT rig has better FPS in CSS then Intel or AMD64 + X800XT PE had (27-60+fps). But it was much better in FEAR. All of that happend after some CSS update, because it was stable 100+ fps on both X800XTPE's before it.

Of course, I'm not saying you will be getting same results with the PC that you have (much less RAM & etc.), but I think for what you're asking, you should be fine. COD2 and BF2 would probably go down to medium settings, but playable compared to what you have now.

Verdict? I would most likely have to suggest the 6600GT on this one as it has more raw performance vs X1600Pro.

In case you wonder what were my settings, results & looks in FEAR:

Last edited:
LogRus said:
My X800XT PE died in my AMD64 3200+ sig system (the card is RMA'd), and now it temporarily has 9800XT which is about same, maybe a bit slower then the 6600GT. And I am able to play F.E.A.R. @ 1024x768 - Max + Medium settings, and CSS? 37-60fps+! And that's at all MAXIMUM LCD settings (for CSS)!

And the funny thing is that, when I had my X800XTPE, it had lower FPS then my 9800XT has now :shrug:, both had exactly same settings & latest drivers, and now I compared my Intel rig = same thing! AMD64 + 9800XT rig has better FPS in CSS then Intel or AMD64 + X800XT PE had (27-60+fps). But it was much better in FEAR. All of that happend after some CSS update, because it was stable 100+ fps on both X800XTPE's before it.

Of course, I'm not saying you will be getting same results with the PC that you have (much less RAM & etc.), but I think for what you're asking, you should be fine. COD2 and BF2 would probably go down to medium settings, but playable compared to what you have now.

Verdict? I would most likely have to suggest the 6600GT on this one as it has more raw performance vs X1600Pro.

In case you wonder what were my settings, results & looks in FEAR:

I was refering more to his system, I really think it's gonna hold the 6600GT back, I mean, his CPU and RAM are quite slow.

jcw122 said:

Thanks for the suggestion..There is a x1600Pro Agp version so...That was what i meant..

As long as i can see it can get a min of 30fps i would be fine..

Thanks guys, i will pick up the card this weekend :)

jcw122 said:
I was refering more to his system, I really think it's gonna hold the 6600GT back, I mean, his CPU and RAM are quite slow.

Yes, I mentioned in my review that he will definitely not get same results but he should be able to pull out the frames that he wants for the CSS and he'll be able to play at decent fps in COD2 and BF2, just lower resolutions :)

Should be able to find more info on 6600GT in lower end systems on google! :cool:

UPDATE: I totally forgot! I've played HL2: DM, CS:S and NFS:MW on a DELL P3 1Ghz/512MB PC133/9800XT/20GB (Yes! P3 1Ghz!) when we had a LAN party. Needed 1 more comp so I've made my workstation into a gaming rig just by adding my 9800XT to it. It was more than playable and definitely over 30fps @ LCD res but no AA and only 8xAF (in CSS that is). And since 6600GT is supposedly about same or better in Source, you should have great FPS's.

Sometimes I wonder if Valve was making their Source engine using ATI's 9800 series, because sometimes its even better then my X800XTPE! :)

Last edited:
in need of suggestions

Hi,

trying to upgrade my computer so it will last more then a year.

current specs

Barton core 2500+ AMD
512MB kingston ddr
160GB maxtor ATA 133 HD
80GB maxtor ATA 133 HD
Biostar M7NCG Pro
ATI 9600 XT
Creative Audigy Platinum

Upgrade specs
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR 400 (pc 3200)Deluxe
Abit AN8 SLI
Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 150 HD

Potential Video Card
SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 FireBlade

Games
GTA:VC
Call of duty
Guild Wars
Chessamster x
Madden 06
The Godfather
(and any games I program, or anything off darkbasicpro forums)

I jumped out of the computer biz a year ago when I upgraded. Since then so much has changed I feel like I'm starting out all over again so I figured I'd hit you guys up for help.

As I remember n00bs were treated pretty good here when I was registered before so here comes the n00b question....

Has AGP been replaced with PCI Express 16? As I was looking over newegg I saw another new term, XGP. What for the love of god is that? Is it simply a newer version of AGP, or is it a whole new ball of wax?

K, enough n00bishness from me. Thanks for any suggestions,
LowRez

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = Athlon XP 2700+ @ 2415MHz
Motherboard = ASRock K7S41GX
PCI-E / AGP = AGP
RAM = 1 Gig Corsair Value [PC3200]
PSU = Logisys 480W
Current Video Card = GeForce 4 MX420

2) What is your budget? Under $150

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1 Year+

4) What will the new Video Card be used for? Mixed Gaming for sure! I want to enable HDR on HL2.

- Direct3D Games = I don't know
- OpenGL Games = I don't know

Krome said:
1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = Athlon XP 2700+ @ 2415MHz
Motherboard = ASRock K7S41GX
PCI-E / AGP = AGP
RAM = 1 Gig Corsair Value [PC3200]
PSU = Logisys 480W
Current Video Card = GeForce 4 MX420

2) What is your budget? Under $150

3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1 Year+

4) What will the new Video Card be used for? Mixed Gaming for sure! I want to enable HDR on HL2.

- Direct3D Games = I don't know
- OpenGL Games = I don't know

A 6600GT would probably serve you well, It will do HDR in HL2 with pretty good FPS., what card do you have currently?

Or if you want to go better, try the 6800GS, which is also very good, except has Shader Model 3 (newest shader model)

jcw122 said:
A 6600GT would probably serve you well, It will do HDR in HL2 with pretty good FPS., what card do you have currently?

Or if you want to go better, try the 6800GS, which is also very good, except has Shader Model 3 (newest shader model)

What's the major difference between the 6600GT, and the 6800GS?

Any good ATI cards?

Hello peeps.

I'd really appriciate a little advice. Before I begin.. here is my current setup.
CPU: Pentium 4 3.06 GHz
Memory: 1024 DDR Kingston Ram
Motherboard: Abit PT800 Motherboar
PSU: Cant remember (400+ ?)
Video Card: HIS ATI 9550

I’m looking for a new kick *** graphics card for multimedia work and some new games. I have a budget of £130 and I’d like to buy second hand card to ensure I get more for my pound. I’ve been looking at various cards such as the sapphire x1600 but I think I’m sure I’d like the X800 for overclockng perks.

This is where my dilemma begins. I have an AGP port and haven’t really got the tiem to be building a new system with PCI express ability just right now. Im new to overclocking and modding but im pretty sure that a 12 pipe (modable to 16) will save me the most money. Is the X800 AGP version able to be easily modded to the X800 XT/PE. I know there are threads on this subject, but I still need some clarification. I’ve been reading up on the subject all day and my eyes are killin. Can somebody please shed some light on the matter? I understand the card needs to contain a certain core.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/127

States that an AGP version of the informous GTO card doesn’t exist and yet they can be purchased here… what is goin on ?
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=13357&GroupID=330

Can somebody please help me. Which X800 card is for me ?

Anyone?

Ok here is my 2 systems @current they are at 2 locations(parents/my house)

System #1
MSI k7n2gm2-lsr
1800+ pally
1gb pc400 corsair 2.5cl(running @133)DC(2x512)
radeon 9200 128mb
1x 30gb hdd
1x 80gb hdd both IDE
SB live 5.1( i think)forget
500x psu

system #2
ECS k7s5a(its killing me @home)doesnt like memory :-/
1800+ pally
1gb pc400 corsair 2.5cl(running @133 safe)DC(2x512)
GF3 ti200 128mb
1x 20gb
1x 40gb
SB Audigy value ( i think)forget
400w psu

Planned upgrades(some already bought) for both systems
Biostar Tforce 6100-939 system#1 maybe #2 as well
MSI K8NGM2-NBP system #2 probably
250gb sata
Maybe another 1gb memory each(later)
both going into x qpack cases

Both are used for gaming when myself or nephew is at parents house (system#1)

Looking for at least 8 or 12 pixel pipelines would prefer 256bit memory...
Money sorta matters...BUT Im not spending$200 either 100-150ish max.
Somewhere between is prefered.

Games:
WoW on both systems
Oblivion soon after upgrades complete system#2(huge RPG fan)
Probably some FPS gaming , but that's my nephews cup of tea (system #1)

Rest of time these systems are email machines with some future video editing on system #2.
We are planning to run off the on-board graphics for maybe a month or so on system #1 as my Dad is a disabled veteran and as for my system#2 im putting the upgrade on plastic so im undecided on what video card.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
luder503 said:
CPU = Pentium D 2.8Ghz
Motherboard = Dell 0HJ054 :(
PCI-E / AGP = PCI-E
RAM = 2x512 DDR2 PC4300
PSU = 305Watt
Current Video Card = ATI x300SE 128MB HyperMemory

A little bit of gaming, nothing too hardcore. I'd like to be able to run CS:Source without any glitches and at a good frame rate @ 1680x1050. Maybe play some COD/BF?

Not looking to spend over $200..I was eyeing the 7600GT's ala NewEgg, anyone have some suggestions? I know that my PSU is too weak to run 7800's and up without swapping the PS out.

Thanks!

Luder503, did u upgrade? I was able to OC that same Dell to 4GHz. Also Dell no longer uses a proprietary mobo power plug on that model so any BTX power supply will plug in (altho u may have issues fitting it in).

blackjackel said:
I'm looking for some help

CPU: High end AMD 64Bit dual core

GFX CARD: BEST BANG FOR BUCK, closest to high-end as possible

Budget (for GFX card(s) only) approx $600

Link to other post about it:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=458492

Most likely an SLI setup would be best for the budget.

And 2x7900GT's either 256MB or 512MB look to suit the budget.. well almost,

If you wish to go 7900GT 256MB:

$289.99/ea + 4.85 = 294.84 x2 = $589.68 TOTAL (NewEgg.com)

If you wish to go 7900GT 512MB:

$319/ea + FREE S&H = 319 x2 = $638 TOTAL (ZipZoomFly.com)

P.S. I know I'm late for the other posts, but LMK if you guys are still looking...

OK, gonna get a new one, here's my info:

cpu: venice 3200+ (@stock 2.2ghz)
mobo: Asus a8n5x
PCI-E/AGP: PCI-E
RAM: 2x1GB pc3200@stock
PSU: 650 watt OCZ
Budget: $200-ish. (less than $200 would be good though)

I've found an x850xt on the egg for ~$160, and i'm thinking bang-for-the-buck-wise, this is a great card. But is there something I should consider that maybe i'm not? Would that card be overkill for my system (in other words, would i have a bottleneck with my hardware that would prevent me from harnessing the full potential of the x850xt) or is that a good choice?

Any informed advice would be wonderful :)

President! said:
OK, gonna get a new one, here's my info:

cpu: venice 3200+ (@stock 2.2ghz)
mobo: Asus a8n5x
PCI-E/AGP: PCI-E
RAM: 2x1GB pc3200@stock
PSU: 650 watt OCZ
Budget: $200-ish. (less than $200 would be good though)

I've found an x850xt on the egg for ~$160, and i'm thinking bang-for-the-buck-wise, this is a great card. But is there something I should consider that maybe i'm not? Would that card be overkill for my system (in other words, would i have a bottleneck with my hardware that would prevent me from harnessing the full potential of the x850xt) or is that a good choice?

Any informed advice would be wonderful :)

X850XT an overkill? How about X1800XT for $219 AR? Seems like a great deal IMO ;)

LINK: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102698

I'd get on myself! But I'm still on AGP and my X800XTPE satisfies me... well, when I'll get it back from ATi that is...

sooo I'm taking that reply to mean that my system could handle the x1800xt without any problem?
If that is the case, I will probably look into the link you posted. $219 is a pretty great price for the card, I just wasn't sure if it would look any better than a lesser card, given my system.

President! said:
sooo I'm taking that reply to mean that my system could handle the x1800xt without any problem?
If that is the case, I will probably look into the link you posted. $219 is a pretty great price for the card, I just wasn't sure if it would look any better than a lesser card, given my system.

Seems very much like it. Don't see why your system wouldn't handle the card. You have a good PSU and a PCI-E slot! CPU and other factors are also very much compatible. Now get that card and report back w/the results! :)

OK, I've been a way for a while, so I will try and ask.

Please see my sig for the system in question.

The video card - ATI Sapphire 9800 Pro has fried. It still works, but not for long. It is overheating in a bad way.

So, what would be a good replacement card. Obviously an upgrade, but something that will keep up with the games for a while, since my system still isn't too outdated.

I am not bias to either NVIDIA or ATI, just want something fast and reliable. Oh and AGP is a must. I don't want PCI card.

I'd like to stay under $150 and I'm a fan of Newegg.

Thanks for your help,
durst

Last edited:
Back