• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for advice on new x99 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

carlos515

Registered
Hi All,
I have decided to build a new computer , switching from amd to intel. I am interested in the Haswell-E . I need some advice on the motherboard and power supply. I was thinking to go with the 5820k. Maybe overclocked to 4.2ghz. I will not game with this build but i will use Handbrake on it. Down the road i may want to add a capture card and capture 1080p 60fps. Now what i have been thinking of is as follows.

1- evga g2 550w or xfx xtr 550w . my requirement is a good power supply but quiet. This build will be in my bedroom and run all night with handbrake.
2- Asrock x99m extreme 4 or Gigabyte x99m gaming 5 or evga x99 FTW. these boards are affordable up here in Canada.
3- Noctua nh-D14 SE2011. or if my supplier cant get it then the U14S. Looked at AIO but fans and pumps are noisy.
4- Antec three hundred two case. Was originally looking at the p100 but not sure if it will handle the heat from the 5820k.
I have the crucial mx100 256 for the os drive. and i was just going to get crucial regular ddr4 2133. I am on a budget so i did not want to go crazy but i do like well built products. Also down the road i will put this board in my Plex server and maybe get a xeon 2630.

Any help , advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

1) The "BeQuiet!" series sounds up your alley. Should give them a look
2) They should all be comparable. Get the one with the best warranty.
3) Great cooler!
4) Most cases do the same job to the same degree. You're not doing anything crazy, so don't stress too much. Fan quality should play more into your budget than overall case construction. The 302 should be just fine, and has a very similar design to the R5.

On ram, the speed doesnt change the cost too much, go for ddr4 3000 mhz.

There are several PSUs that have fans which do not kick on until a certain load and/or temperature or do not have a fan at all. That EVGA has the delayed fan on it (no fan under 45C).

Because you are using handbrake, you may see a performance increase from using faster ram. Regardless, it irks me to get 2133 DDR4, because those are DDR3 speeds but with DDR4 CL/Latency. I'd go DDR4 2800 CL15 personally. The price difference isn't much (but can be if you are on a budget).

DDR4 2133 CL13 - $95
DDR4 2800 CL15 - $115
(cheapest on newegg)

How is G Skill ripjaw 4 2800 ? or Mushkin blackline 2800 ? I have only used crucial or kingston standard ram so not sure what is good.

Thanks for all the suggestions . Anyone have any experience with Gigabyte x99 UD3P ?

Back