• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for advice/opinions on my new 930 OC!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gochuxp

Registered
I'm relatively new to overclocking and I just overclocked my i7-930 d0 stepping for the first time a couple days ago. I've had this new rig for a month and a half now. I've just got some questions/am looking for opinions/advice on my recent overclock.

Firstly, what I'm working with:
intel i7-930 d0 stepping
TRUE Rev. C with just a push setup (have a rear case fan right behind heatsink so kinda acts as a pull but its not directly on the sink)
as5 compound
asus p6t mobo
6gb (3x 2gb) ocz gold ddr-1600 ram (8-8-8-24)

at stock settings: my idle temps from realtemp are usually 31-39 C depending on ambient temp (its summer here so thats usually 23-32 C depending on time of day and whether I have my AC on or not)

Goal, OC to 3.8 GHz (181x21)

My methodology:

1. I first isolated bclk from memory and CPU (minimum dram multiplier and x12 for cpu)

slowly bumped up bclock by 10MHz and tested stability in prime95 (blend torture test) for 5 minutes. would keep moving up 10MHz until fail and then bump up CPU VTT if needed. did this slowly until i got to 190 MHz. then set back down to 181 MHz and ran prime 95 blend test for 7 hours w/ 0 errors. I happened to be 5 min stable on default CPU VTT (1.2 volts) for all bclock settings

2. I then set my dram timings to 8-8-8-24 1T and set my dram voltage to 1.64V (ram is 1.65V). since my bclock is 181, no way to hit 1600 exactly so i went with the 8x multiplier (ddr3-1448) and ran memtest86+ through a couple passes. no errors

3. set my multiplier back to default 21x and bclock down to 140 and started with a vcore of 1.1V. slowly bumped bclock up by 10MHz and tested stability at each for 5 min. if error, would but up vcore slowly. did this until reaching 186MHz at vcore of 1.275V. prime95 ran for 5 minutes with 1 error. figured it would be fine at bclock of 181MHz at this vcore and ran prime95 blend test for 2 hrs. no errors what so ever. plan on running it overnight tonight to test.

So here are my final results and questions:
cpu frequency: 3.801 GHz (181 x 21)
dram frequency: 724 MHz (DDR3-1448, multiplier of 8)
timings: 8-8-8-24 1T
are these the only timings I touch.. I see a row refresh cycle time (tRFC) in CPU-Z, what is that?
HT On, load line calibration off, speedstep off, c1e, cstates all off

qpi/cpu vtt: 1.2V
dram voltage: 1.64V
vcore: 1.275V
(also, cpu-z reports different voltages for core: usually 2.256 or 2.248 or something .. weird?)

1. I have tried qpi frequency and uncore both at auto and at their lowest settings (2x dram frequency for uncore and 18x bclock in MHz or 36x bclock in GT/s for qpi) and can't tell the difference. What is best for both? I hear lowest for both is best but I don't know.

2. my vcore seems a tad high for what i'm trying to clock to. from what i've seen in forums, ppl reach 3.8 GHz easy on 1.2V vcore. opinions? suggestions?

3. here are my temps,
idle: 40-45 C
prime 95: maxes out around 78C (or was it 75C?) at ambient of 27-28 C (lowest speeds for case fans) for 2 hours
ran overnight with AC on (probably ambient of 21 C) and peaked at 71 C
just playing games/daily use: maxes out around 58-60C
once again my ambients are usually between 23-32 C depending on time of day and/or if I have my AC on.

Seem a bit high when I look at comparable clocks. opinions? suggestions?

thanks so much!! will add info if i remember something later but hopefully this is good for now

:welcome: to OCForums....see my responses in red:
I'm relatively new to overclocking and I just overclocked my i7-930 d0 stepping for the first time a couple days ago. I've had this new rig for a month and a half now. I've just got some questions/am looking for opinions/advice on my recent overclock.

Firstly, what I'm working with:
intel i7-930 d0 stepping
TRUE Rev. C with just a push setup (have a rear case fan right behind heatsink so kinda acts as a pull but its not directly on the sink)
as5 compound
asus p6t mobo
6gb (3x 2gb) ocz gold ddr-1600 ram (8-8-8-24)

at stock settings: my idle temps from realtemp are usually 31-39 C depending on ambient temp (its summer here so thats usually 23-32 C depending on time of day and whether I have my AC on or not)

Goal, OC to 3.8 GHz (181x21)

My methodology:

1. I first isolated bclk from memory and CPU (minimum dram multiplier and x12 for cpu)

slowly bumped up bclock by 10MHz and tested stability in prime95 (blend torture test) for 5 minutes. would keep moving up 10MHz until fail and then bump up CPU VTT if needed. did this slowly until i got to 190 MHz. then set back down to 181 MHz and ran prime 95 blend test for 7 hours w/ 0 errors. I happened to be 5 min stable on default CPU VTT (1.2 volts) for all bclock settings

2. I then set my dram timings to 8-8-8-24 1T and set my dram voltage to 1.64V (ram is 1.65V). since my bclock is 181, no way to hit 1600 exactly so i went with the 8x multiplier (ddr3-1448) and ran memtest86+ through a couple passes. no errors

3. set my multiplier back to default 21x and bclock down to 140 and started with a vcore of 1.1V. slowly bumped bclock up by 10MHz and tested stability at each for 5 min. if error, would but up vcore slowly. did this until reaching 186MHz at vcore of 1.275V. prime95 ran for 5 minutes with 1 error. figured it would be fine at bclock of 181MHz at this vcore and ran prime95 blend test for 2 hrs. no errors what so ever. plan on running it overnight tonight to test.

Sounds like you followed my guide, good jod :thup:

So here are my final results and questions:
cpu frequency: 3.801 GHz (181 x 21)
dram frequency: 724 MHz (DDR3-1448, multiplier of 8)
timings: 8-8-8-24 1T
are these the only timings I touch.. I see a row refresh cycle time (tRFC) in CPU-Z, what is that?

Sub timings are not very important for day to day performance, nothing you'll notice....74 is a typical value for your config
HT On, load line calibration off, speedstep off, c1e, cstates all off

qpi/cpu vtt: 1.2V
dram voltage: 1.64V
vcore: 1.275V
(also, cpu-z reports different voltages for core: usually 2.256 or 2.248 or something .. weird?)
I hope you mean 1.256 or 1.248 :rolleyes: 2.xx is WAY TOO HIGH! :eek:

1. I have tried qpi frequency and uncore both at auto and at their lowest settings (2x dram frequency for uncore and 18x bclock in MHz or 36x bclock in GT/s for qpi) and can't tell the difference. What is best for both? I hear lowest for both is best but I don't know.
QPI you can set to x36, or auto (which should automatically set x36)....higher values may work, but will have ZERO impact on performance. uncore on the other hand can give modest performance increases, but may require additional VTT voltage. I try to run x20 on my system ;)

2. my vcore seems a tad high for what i'm trying to clock to. from what i've seen in forums, ppl reach 3.8 GHz easy on 1.2V vcore. opinions? suggestions?
Nope, you're average....there are ppl running less Vcore, but they are the exception, not the rule ;)

3. here are my temps,
idle: 40-45 C
prime 95: maxes out around 78C (or was it 75C?) at ambient of 27-28 C (lowest speeds for case fans) for 2 hours
ran overnight with AC on (probably ambient of 21 C) and peaked at 71 C
just playing games/daily use: maxes out around 58-60C
once again my ambients are usually between 23-32 C depending on time of day and/or if I have my AC on.

Seem a bit high when I look at comparable clocks. opinions? suggestions?

temps look perfectly normal :)

thanks so much!! will add info if i remember something later but hopefully this is good for now

miahallen! yes, i did follow your guide! thanks so much for answering my questions! and yeah, i meant 1.256 or 1.248.

why does cpu-z report different voltages than bios? and which is more accurate?

also, you think i can reach 200x21 safely for 24/7 use?

and what test is best to use in prime95?

miahallen! yes, i did follow your guide! thanks so much for answering my questions! and yeah, i meant 1.256 or 1.248.

why does cpu-z report different voltages than bios? and which is more accurate?

also, you think i can reach 200x21 safely for 24/7 use?

and what test is best to use in prime95?

Download CPU-Z 1.55. The vcore is reduced with power saving features. Also, CPU-Z will show an increased vcore under load. Sometimes its a little slow updating...i think this is an issue thats always plagued this program.

However, CPU-Z is pretty accurate (it's what I usually rely on for monitoring Vcore)

200x21 is getting into the difficult category for most CPUs....it's worth a try, but it all depends on the CPU and your patience/perserverence ;)

When looking for overall stability (CPU/uncore/memory), I recommend the Prime95 "blend" test :thup:

how about 191x21? is that do-able (and safe) for 24/7? and if i do this, should i set IOH to 1.3? I have it on auto right now (since the guide says 1.3 is only necessary for ~200 bclock and above). i also left ioh pcie on auto, ich on auto and ich pcie on auto.

also, regarding cpu-z and vcore again...is the vcore SUPPOSED to be reduced with power saving features? so it's supposed to read less than my bios unless i'm really stressing then CPU? (then it goes to what i set in the bios?) is the power reduction related to C1E or c-states or anything (which i have all turned off)?

how about 191x21? is that do-able (and safe) for 24/7? and if i do this, should i set IOH to 1.3? I have it on auto right now (since the guide says 1.3 is only necessary for ~200 bclock and above). i also left ioh pcie on auto, ich on auto and ich pcie on auto.

also, regarding cpu-z and vcore again...is the vcore SUPPOSED to be reduced with power saving features? so it's supposed to read less than my bios unless i'm really stressing then CPU? (then it goes to what i set in the bios?) is the power reduction related to C1E or c-states or anything (which i have all turned off)?

Yes, 21x191 is great. Personally i hate turbo coz i think its useless...
You can run this setting at stock voltage on the i7 D0...i already tried and its stable...
There is also speed step which reduces the speed on your CPU...which also reduces the voltage. So if its not one of those, this will do it too :)

When you disable C-states & C1E and enable LLC in the BIOS, then CPU-Z should always read pretty close to your set voltage. Some boards still droop a little, some board overvolt a little. If you were to enable C-states and C1E you'd notice a MUCH larger drop in voltage at idle (down to less than 1.0V).

I don't know if 191x21 or 200x21 are doable....you just have to try and see. Is it safe? Sure ;) As long as you're following the safety suggestions outlined in my guide.

okay.. last questions:

memtest86+ automatically runs 1-8. is test 0 and test 9 worth running at least once each?

also, i currently have LLC off.. should i turn it on?

and my ram, qpi x36 and uncore x16 always read a little above what its supposed to be in the bios, i.e. 181x8 = 1448 but my ram reads 1451, 181x16 = 2896 but my uncore reads 2903 for lowest setting and 181x36 = 6516 but my qpi reads 6532MT/s for lower settings?

Last edited:
Back