• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for folders with a Kill a Watt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

I have an article concept brewing and...

I'm looking for dedicated 24/7 folders who have a Kill a Watt or other means of determining each rigs power consumption. Looking for rig specs (including PSU), power use while folding, and city/state (or electricity cost per kwh).

In exchange.. I'll fold 24 hours on my main rig for each person who responds :beer:

I have a Kill a Watt, but I'd refuse to accept anything other than maybe shipping costs both ways.

I would have to find it, it's in one of only 15-18 places so shouldn't take me that long

Ohh yeah, I just want data, I already own a Kill a Watt. Sorry I wasn't more clear :beer:

Note that for i7's, for the same system frequency, a higher BLK setting causes more power use. ie: a 25 x 150 setting uses less power than 19 x 197.

So you need to know the multiplier and BLK setting for the system to make it comparable.

Note that for i7's, for the same system frequency, a higher BLK setting causes more power use. ie: a 25 x 150 setting uses less power than 19 x 197.

So you need to know the multiplier and BLK setting for the system to make it comparable.

I'm just looking for the at-the-wall power numbers for the folding rigs as they are currently used :beer:

Ohh yeah, I just want data, I already own a Kill a Watt. Sorry I wasn't more clear :beer:

Okay, now THAT makes sense, lol. I just have a couple GPU folders but I'll try to grab some readings on them this week.

I have a Kill a Watt, but I'd refuse to accept anything other than maybe shipping costs both ways.

I would have to find it, it's in one of only 15-18 places so shouldn't take me that long

Send it here I want to use it :D Or maybe I don't:rolleyes:

Well I'll use it but not let the wife see it :D

CPU = e8400 @ 4ghz
MOBO = DFI lanparty jr p45-t2rs
PSU = Corsair TX650w
GPU = 8800gts@513/792/1674 and 8800gt@555/800/1782
Watts = 274w whilst folding smp on cpu , and on both gpus.
KwH =11.01p during the day and 6.219p at night (night is between 11.30pm and 8.30am)

im in london on a economy 7 tariff

edit: i used to use the same setup on a xpower light 480w and the power usage was 330w when folding, so all i done was change the psu and it saved like 50w!!

Last edited:
Had an anonymous submission,

PSU = Corsair 750 w
KILW = 218 watts (folding 100%)
Cost - 5.6 cents per kilowatt hour

i own one

Corsair 550VX series
Q9400 @ 3.3Ghz
4G
XFX 5850
2 x 1.5TB HDs
1 x 1T HD
1 x 320G HD
DVD burner
Dell 24' LCD

i dont fold on it 24/7 on the cpu, but i could for a few days if you need some numbers?

Watts = No higher than 388 Watts
PSU = Some generic 550 Watt

Folding 24/7 with the occasional reboot to game.

System specs are in my sig + one 1.5TB low power 5.4K RPM Samsung drive not listed, the other four drives are 7.2K RPM. HFM has been showing an average of 15,500 PPD with two GPU2 clients and one SMP client only set to use 5 cores.

Watts = No higher than 388 Watts
PSU = Some generic 550 Watt

Folding 24/7 with the occasional reboot to game.

System specs are in my sig. HFM has been showing an average of 15,500 PPD with two GPU2 clients and one SMP client only set to use 5 cores.

Sorry, I really need the PSU model and kwh price (or your location so I can look it up) or the data isn't useful :beer:

Sorry, I really need the PSU model and kwh price (or your location so I can look it up) or the data isn't useful :beer:

Are you planning to get a different power supply, or move to a place with cheaper electricity? :burn:

Are you planning to get a different power supply, or move to a place with cheaper electricity? :burn:

Nope. Just gonna do some math on energy savings break even points for buying an 80+ Gold unit. I figured folders would be the best place to get data since they tend to run 24/7 loaded.

Back