• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for folders with a Kill a Watt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nope. Just gonna do some math on energy savings break even points for buying an 80+ Gold unit. I figured folders would be the best place to get data since they tend to run 24/7 loaded.

that makes sence, will be interesting to see the results,

i updated my post (about 4 up) to include abit more info)

CPU = e8400 @ 4ghz
MOBO = DFI lanparty jr p45-t2rs
PSU = Corsair TX650w
GPU = 8800gts@513/792/1674 and 8800gt@555/800/1782
Watts = 274w whilst folding smp on cpu , and on both gpus.
KwH =11.01p during the day and 6.219p at night (night is between 11.30pm and 8.30am)

that makes sence, will be interesting to see the results,

i updated my post (about 4 up) to include abit more info)

Thanks. So in your case, you are looking at about 85% efficiency thanks to 240v mains. The rig is using about 233 watts from the PSU. Bumping to an 80 Plus Gold unit ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194054 in this case) would mean about 91% efficiency at 240v, meaning the rig would draw 256 watts at the wall, savings of 18 watts. Doesn't seem like much, right?

Every 55.55 hours you save a kwh. Rounding off, we get 158 kwh saved per year. 59.25 kwh during off peak, and 98.75 kwh during peak. £10.87 savings per year peak, £3.68 off peak, total savings of £14.55 per year, just from the PSU gaining 6% efficiency. For people running on less efficient units than the TX650W the difference will be larger. Same deal if you pay more for power, and of course, if your rig draws more.

I wanna compile a bunch of these calculations, please keep the numbers coming :beer:

Thanks. So in your case, you are looking at about 85% efficiency thanks to 240v mains. The rig is using about 233 watts from the PSU. Bumping to an 80 Plus Gold unit ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194054 in this case) would mean about 91% efficiency at 240v, meaning the rig would draw 256 watts at the wall, savings of 18 watts. Doesn't seem like much, right?

Every 55.55 hours you save a kwh. Rounding off, we get 158 kwh saved per year. 59.25 kwh during off peak, and 98.75 kwh during peak. £10.87 savings per year peak, £3.68 off peak, total savings of £14.55 per year, just from the PSU gaining 6% efficiency. For people running on less efficient units than the TX650W the difference will be larger. Same deal if you pay more for power, and of course, if your rig draws more.

I wanna compile a bunch of these calculations, please keep the numbers coming :beer:

You're going to need the cost of adding a gold PSU though. If you spend $100 to save $50 a year....for me, that wouldn't be worth it cause I'd buy a different PSU in a year...lol

My wife's grandpa bought a brand new ac/furnace system because it was more efficient. Cost him $6,000 to save about $200 a year. Hmmm

You're going to need the cost of adding a gold PSU though. If you spend $100 to save $50 a year....for me, that wouldn't be worth it cause I'd buy a different PSU in a year...lol

My wife's grandpa bought a brand new ac/furnace system because it was more efficient. Cost him $6,000 to save about $200 a year. Hmmm

Of course, and that's the point - there is a crossover point where the added cost would be worth it, it's just a matter of finding that number :beer:

Of course, and that's the point - there is a crossover point where the added cost would be worth it, it's just a matter of finding that number :beer:

Hey you're the one doing the calculations here! And really, I'd like your calculations broken down to the nanosecond, if you don't mind. :D

the psu in that pc cost £85, the psu you linked costs £118 , so a £33 difference, would take 2 years to save the difference.

still shows how much the little savings add up.

Well, that was fun. I made a spreadsheet that does all this automatically. You just plug in watts (at wall), electricity prices, peak and off-peak hours, and PSU efficiency, and it does the rest. I'd be happy to share it, but I don't know how to publish it as a web app. Ideally, people would be able to manipulate data only in column B, but view the entire thing. If anyone would like to help me set this up, I'd be very happy to share creation credit :beer:

edit: BTW, yes, I know people will have to look at the PSU efficiency curves to enter the right number, but good PSUs have those published or available in reviews, so I'm not gonna worry about that.

Attachments

• efficiencyisfun.jpg
    efficiencyisfun.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 97
Watts = No higher than 388 Watts
PSU = Some generic 550 Watt

Folding 24/7 with the occasional reboot to game.

System specs are in my sig + one 1.5TB low power 5.4K RPM Samsung drive not listed, the other four drives are 7.2K RPM. HFM has been showing an average of 15,500 PPD with two GPU2 clients and one SMP client only set to use 5 cores.

Sorry, I really need the PSU model and kwh price (or your location so I can look it up) or the data isn't useful

PSU = AGI-U580UBbk (Correction it is 580 Watts)

KWh charge = 14.5 cents which includes about a 4.5 cent optional charge for renewable energy.

PSU = AGI-U580UBbk (Correction it is 580 Watts)

KWh charge = 14.5 cents which includes about a 4.5 cent optional charge for renewable energy.

That PSU says "High efficiency >75%" so let's be generous and assume it's 78%..

Here's your results:

Attachments

• Zerix01savings.jpg
    Zerix01savings.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 60
Back