• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for good overclocking/ gaming mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

toomnymods

I recently purchased a Intel i7 8086K limited edition cpu. It has the 1151 chipset and needs to be ran on a Z370 chipset mobo. I like the features of the Asus ROG Maximus Hero mobo. Are there better options? I will be using a nice watercooled setup from corsair so temps shouldnt be a problem for getting to 5.0ghz+
What ram is needed for my motherboard? This motherboard says it is capable of 4133+ mhz. I dont mind paying more for good ram if it can be utilized properly but hate to pay 800.00+ for ram if it wont even make a difference.
Was looking at these two ram companies
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
And
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model CMW32GX4M4C3200C14
Opinions??

Welcome back! :)

1. RAM... I would stick with 3200-3400MHz. Unless you know you are close to using 16GB already, I wouldn't get 32GB. 16GB for a gaming machine is plenty. :)
2. The speed won't make much of a difference and is not remotely worth the extra cost for the speed.

As far as boards, most any will do just fine under ambient overclocking conditions.

The Hero is fine, so is the ASRock Taichi and Extreme 4, So are MSI boards. You really want to look at features, aesthetic, and price to be honest.

Thats kinda what I was thinking with the ram. At a certain point it becomes un usable and not really needed. As far as mobos I’ve always loved Asus boards with their nice bios options. Never heard of Asrock.. have they been around long? I don’t mind paying more for a mobo long as it is rock solid stable. I’ve been using windows 7 for what seems like forever. Should I make the jump to windows 10? Ive always hated the look and feel of windows 10. Cant find any of the items your looking for and didnt seem as stable for gaming last time I tried it 2-3 yrs ago. Have things changed much?

Thats kinda what I was thinking with the ram. At a certain point it becomes un usable and not really needed. As far as mobos I’ve always loved Asus boards with their nice bios options. Never heard of Asrock.. have they been around long? I don’t mind paying more for a mobo long as it is rock solid stable. I’ve been using windows 7 for what seems like forever. Should I make the jump to windows 10? Ive always hated the look and feel of windows 10. Cant find any of the items your looking for and didnt seem as stable for gaming last time I tried it 2-3 yrs ago. Have things changed much?

Win10 is OK, not my favorite either but it works fine. There are threads about disabling telemetry etc. but it's a lot more automated than before. Updates about two to three times a year with a "major" update which can mess with some of your settings. Installing Win7 won't be straight forward but most boards will have Win7 drivers and on the install CD is quite often a utility to create Win7 install media with the needed storage/USB drivers.
I've always leaned toward ASUS, BIOS is well laid out and boards are decent have had a couple of Hero boards in the past. I also like MSI, BIOS is good and easy to use. The least favorite for me as far as BIOS is Giga but all the board will do what you need to do.

I would stick to G.Skill because of less problems in general. Corsair usually works too but sometimes are problems with BIOS versions.

ASRock is on the market for a long time and they have really good reputation. Their motherboards are usually well priced and stable. Not many users report significant issues and if anything happens then their support is probably the best and reacts fast with any BIOS versions or hardware fix/replacement. That also depends on the country. In EU, ASRock provides the best support.
BIOS is similar to that used in ASUS. About the same options, sometimes in different tabs. OC is about the same but most motherboards OC the same right now. Differences are in memory overclocking and available options.

I'm using MSI Z370I Gaming Carbon right now. The main reason why I got it was high memory overclocking and not so high price.

I would move to Win10 just because on Win7 will be more issues in some time. Already Microsoft is trying to force users to move to Win10 limiting updates or releasing updates which cause weird OS behaviour. Not everything is fully supported on Win7. Some drivers are not being fully updated. There are many things that most users can't see or think it's caused by something else. I just see what my clients report in last months and most Win7 issues are related to windows updates.
I see that some users complain at Win10 but personally I see no problems. There are always some small issues but the same was with Win7. Annoying are automatic updates, even if you turn it off and have Pro version then OS can install something.

Back