• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for good quality 92mm 3000-ish rpm pwm fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does the fan need to be exactly 92 MM?
i prefer them to be the same size as the ones they replace

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If you are planning on using the PWM signal from your GPU, do not expect to have accurate fan control at all unless the fan RPMs are the same as the stock fan the vBIOS raises/lowers the PWM till it sees the fan RPMs it expects
I tried to find a ideal solution, but as of now i am using the fan control switch built into my Define R4 case
https://www.overclockers.com/forums...ntrol-issue-hall-event-duplicator-work-around

BTW if want to make the most of your power limit in addition to powering the fan via sata/molex turn the rgb leds off they are a waste of power

weird it seems to be working fine with the arctic accelero extreme 4 fams and they're about 1000 rpm slower than the stock ones. I just use msi afterburner to control them. it shows the speed as a percent and i just mess with it until i'm happy. honestly though, if it does automatically run them at stock speed that's fine. 3000 rpm isn't that loud at 92mm and that's what i was going to set them to, give or take. the parts will be here some time in the next week so we shall see.

PS: definitely not using leds since my case has no window anyhow.

Well, it sort of worked. The fans do increase in speed as temps increase but it sounds like they're stopping and starting all the time. I ran superposition 4k benchmark and beat my old score by 300 points with a decent temp drop but i wish the fans would stay at a consistent speed.

image000000.jpg

Last edited:
sound similar to what was happening to me
fan speed randomly jumps from reasonable overkill to full speed
if you have a open fan header on your motherboard try that

you could have a bad connection going in and out on the power input side

With PWM fans, expect them to surge with demand. Constant-speed fans are fine for target temps and below, but get above that and watch your temps skyrocket. I would say that learning to live with fan surges is the way to go.

I'm using process of elimination to find what part is the issue. If I have all 3 fans turned to 100% through the hub the fan pauses happen every few seconds. If I have a single fan hooked directly to the card with nothing but the 14 pin >4 pin gpu and the 4 pin gpu > 4 pin full size pwm adapter cables in between the one fan seems to be sitting at almost constant speed. I heard it pause for a split second a couple of times but other than that it's been regular. It seem to be a cumulative issue with more pauses with all 3 fans so it has to be one of the cables or some kind of incompatibility. It does say the fans pwm read speed is 30hz and I don't know if that's normal or not. I need to try a different fan for a while and see if it does the same thing.

I would just bypass the vbios for fan control entirely. A somewhat more expensive option, Aquacomputer has a fan hub called the QUADRO. This is much less expensive than their Aquaero fan controller. This device uses a USB 2.0 header on your motherboard rather than copying a PWM signal. Their software will allow you to set a fan curve off of the GPU temp reported by the card. Or any other temp for that matter. It also allows you to use temp probes and serves as an RGB controller for their proprietary strips.

If your motherboard allows you to set a fan curve based on other temps, then you could just do that too. Mine only allows CPU, socket, and motherboard temps to be used.

Otherwise for process of elimination I would hook up the hub to a motherboard fan header and set that header to a speed that will keep your GPU functional but also allow you to hear what a single fan is doing. Then plug the fans into the GPU one at a time. If they all behave the same then it's the vbios. Also look at pqwoerituytruei's thread. It looks like he found the vbios confused by the PWM signal from different fans.

I'll consider the quadro but I want to try another cable first. I found an old pwm fan and it did the same thing hooked directly to the card so I'm hoping it's just a bad cable. I ordered in a 2 pack of 4 pin gpu to 4 pin pwm full size adapters that will be here sunday. I know the nv14 to 4 pin gpu adapter is fine because the fans on the accelero ran perfectly smooth and I know it's not the pwm splitter because he problem still happens without it. Unless the accelero fans use some special proprietary pwm technology I don't see why other pwm fans can't work the same.

Last edited:
I do not think there is a suck thing as a proprietary PWM signal, PWM has 2 configs, frequency and duty cycle were frequency determines how many time it will switch between 1 and 0 per second and duty cycle is what % of time is spent on 1 or 0 per second (75% is a three 1 to 0 ratio)
the only silly thing you could do it use inverted logic all this could do is make a UI confusing or break a UI that has good input validation as 100% would be 0 RPM and 0% would be max fan RPMs
PC fans are specked at 25Khz frequency, in my exp even a 1Khz freq looks to work fine, i can tell you you do not want to use a 1Khz PWM to control a 3 pin fan (coil wine from hell)

I do not think there is a suck thing as a proprietary PWM signal, . . .
There may not be a proprietary signal, but some fans were not made to computer frequency specs. Also, some PWM fans are slow at high duty cycle, and speed up as duty cyucle drops. Yes -- a reverse PWM signal.

I may have a workaround if the new cable doesn't fix it. I downloaded speedfan and after much hair pulling and teeth grinding I got the cha_1 fan header on the motherboard to react to the gpu temp. It works perfectly. I just need to figure out how to get it to start with windows. Reading some guides atm.

EDIT: Looks like speedfan is fubar since it's no longer updated and it's been broken by "battle eye" the anti cheat system they use in pubg, fortnite, and other games. I tested it out and what do you know fan control just stops working when I start up pubg. If I didn't have an OSD the gpu would have just kept getting hotter. Anyhow I came across a replacement called argus monitor. It lets you do basically the same stuff but with a better layout that doesn't require a guide to get working. Sadly it costs money but i saw a post or 2 saying once your license wears out you can just keep using it so it's not too bad. I think it's 1 year for $8.50. It's pretty nice and doesn't need workarounds to keep it working.

Last edited:
Tried the new cable and no luck. Looks like the video card just doesn't like these fans. I guess the arctic accelero fans are special in some way that lets them work with any pwm signal. Argus monitor seems to work great and do the same thing a quadro controller would do but it's only $8.50 so I paid for it. One thing that would make the quadro better is if it works independent of windows. It would make me feel better to know that the fans always work regardless of whether there's a special program running that could potentially crash. Argus monitor is fine for now but the quadro is in the back of my mind. Thanks for all the help yall!

Brando, I can do some testing/killing programs etc. It has some degree of independence in that when I reboot etc, the fans run during this process, and at a reduced speed. I'm not sure if it just stores the most recent PWM value or if it continues to adjust the value. I suppose I could dual boot into linux and apply a load, but I might just try killing the service in Windows and see how it behaves.

Either way it sounds like you have a good setup now :)

Edit: Not sure why I didn't just wait to post after doing such an easy test. Killed the service. Paused folding and fans slowed down. Started folding and fans sped up. I used task manager to "kill" the service, but verified that it is not running in services.msc.

To give a few details of the set up, the QUADRO is given a temperature from a thermocouple located in the exhaust air from my rad, the temp is offset in Aquasuite to calibrate with an IR Gun thermometer reading of the fins of the rad (this will be upgraded to a real loop sensor next time I do maintenance). I have 2 sets of 3 Vardar fans running into PWM spliters, connecting to two ports on the QUADRO. Both are set for PWM curve based on the loop temp approximation from the offset temp sensor.

It be nice to test it out with a different OS though.

Last edited:
i would be very interested if it runs no matter what. that would make it just as good as a bios or better. ideally the usb cable would be there just to write to onboard flash memory that always remembers.

EDIT: I just saw your edit. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back