• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for minor PC upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rbico

Registered
I am looking for an upgrade, but with little cash on hand.

would upgrading to the Phenom II x6 work with my MOBO? would it be much of an improvement over the Phenom ii x3 BE (overclocked to x4 @2.62GHz) that I currently have?

It seems like it would work based on this, but I am not 100% sure.
Thanks!

just a bump in performance. I recently got a radeon hd7700 and just thought for $50-60 I could get a little more CPU power.

If what you do requires more cores, then yes, it will be an improvement. If it does not, then no not really since they are the same speed (instructions per clock). The X6 would come out slightly ahead due to its higher clockspeed... but you can overclock the X3 to those levels and higher.

Id personally save for a more significant upgrade a few months down the line...

I'd buy a good cooler for $30/$40, overclock the Phenom II to 3.3/3.84GHz and call it a day.

Keep in mind aaht the cooler is a long term investment, as you can reuse it for years on different platforms, while a 1045T is teh entry level Thuban, and you won't be able to squeeze much out of it as your board is only 4+1 power phase.

As E_D says, keep your money and invest in some more recent components.

I'd buy a good cooler for $30/$40, overclock the Phenom II to 3.3/3.84GHz and call it a day.

Keep in mind aaht the cooler is a long term investment, as you can reuse it for years on different platforms, while a 1045T is teh entry level Thuban, and you won't be able to squeeze much out of it as your board is only 4+1 power phase.

As E_D says, keep your money and invest in some more recent components.

I got this particular CPU because it was the one (with the correct serial #) that could be overclocked to 4 cores. I know little about overclocking but was able to get the 4th core running with no problems. I then tried a little bump in the GHz, but I saw crashes so I dialed it back down.

if I wanted to take your suggestion, could you 1) point me to a good cooler and 2) point me to a good tutorial on overclocking?

Thanks!

Back