• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for suggestions on a hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raytheon

Registered
I'm looking for a hard drive that works well being partitioned.

What I want to do is make 4 or 5+ partitions on it for some operating systems. Possibly suse linux, ubutu linux, vista, server 2003, sun solaris 10.

I've been looking at the Seagate 500GB, but not sure if it will last long with this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148136

Or maybe 2 250GB would be better? Maybe not because of loudness and heat?
Ps: I'll keep using the one in my sig only for XP.

Partitions are partitions. The more you make, the slower that drive is going to be regardless of which one you buy.

The drive you linked is an excellent drive. If you need that many OSes on a system then I see no reason why that one can't be the whipping boy for it.

Thanks for the reply, now how can the booting be handled with so many OS's? Is there any software for this?

Thanks

Raytheon said:
Thanks for the reply, now how can the booting be handled with so many OS's? Is there any software for this?

Thanks

With that many OSes, I don't have anything come to me immediately that I've seen recently. Try a Google search for "boot manager". That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Hey, why not run VMWare workstation for the Linux/Solaris stuff and just use NTLDR for Vista and XP? My roomate is running it and it works really well and is quite zippy!

Back