• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buy a mini PC wanting some help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Aliexpress is abit odd on my laptop I can view listings but on another laptop im forced to login.

Since I don't have a spare power supply I am thinking to use these together. I want to ask you all first of all will this work?
as I don't want this to blow up or anything.

also regarding powering the rest of the mini PC it has its own power brick so the whole PC powering up itself is since looking to use the bottom 3 for powering the card and GPU only.

I also want to confirm with the 3 below do I need separate power to the GTX 650 as I have read online that if you power the riser separate power isn't needed.

dsjekAL.jpg
J13rUuT.png
5057HZc.png

Last edited:
On a conventional PC motherboard the PCI-e slot will adequately supply a video card of up to 75 watts TDP I believe. You won't know until you try. I don't think it will hurt anything to plug the card into the PCie slot and see if there is enough power from the slot to run the card. On a conventional motherboard I have now and then forgotten to plug the PSU power leads into a card that required additional power and nothing was hurt. Just no video or a message reminding me to plug the cables in. From what I can tell, the GTX 650 doesn't need external power leads from the PSU.

How many watts is your "laptop power brick" mentioned earlier rated for? What I did read about the GTX 650 is that Nvidia recommended at least a 400 watt PSU when running that card but that would need to cover the entire watt load of a conventional PC.

You keep asking us if this or that is going to work but you are doing something very unconventional. How would we know? The best we can do is point out some things to think about.

Last edited:
So far the pcie being plugged in does not provide the card enough power, in saying that the molex 4 pin must need to be powered up. The GTX 650 I am using is a 2gb PNY GTX 650. In my first machine that used this card I needed to plug in power from the PSU to get it going.

The power brick for the Mini PC is 100-240v (hopefully this is the right information you are asking for).

Volts are not helpful to know apart from another electrical parameter such as watts or amperes. Watts is the total amount of electrical power (or heat) produced. Watts = volts x amperes. If you know any two of these parameters you can figure the remaining one by just doing the math using the equation.

In the third line from the pic of the device it says "output" but I can't read the numbers. What does it say?

So it puts out 24 watts. Yes, you will need more than that. Quite a bit more. You will need to power the PCI-e add on slot with something that puts out at least 75 watts. You probably need to figure on using a regular computer PSU. Looks like in the pic there is a molex adapter that would allow you to do that. But then, there goes much of your space saving effort.

So the Pcie being plugged into the computers motherboard won't get the power it needs from that?

Since pcie is plugged into the motherboard was thinking to get the rest of the power with that adapter I showed in my previous post, so I take it that its not sufficient.

So the Pcie being plugged into the computers motherboard won't get the power it needs from that?
Correct.

Since pcie is plugged into the motherboard was thinking to get the rest of the power with that adapter I showed in my previous post, so I take it that its not sufficient.

The little black power supply will not be adequate, if that is what you mean by "adapter." If you are referring to the wire harness with red, yellow, red and black wires, a SATA connector on one end and a molex connector on the other end, then it would be enough if you used it in conjunction with a regular desktop PSU of something more than say, 75 watts.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

Attachments

• GTX 650.png
    GTX 650.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PSU.png
    PSU.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back