• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to buy a new GPU for an old gamer for 1 video game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crow846

Hi,

I am not longer playing video games and rarely I play GTA V with my friends or alone when i have nothing else to do.
Since my Video card is old and having trouble running the game on low settings.
I wish to update the video card to a newer version so i will be able to play the game at highest settings.
I don't play any other new titles so i am hoping to buy a decent video card for this game only and no need in high end
GPU. the cheaper, the better. as long as it's working.
As of today i have no idea what video cards are available for sale and which i should choose.
So i will be grateful for your help :)

My PC:
1080P monitor
AMD FX 8350
8GB Ram
.9KW PSU
my old and trustful GTX 560 Ti SLI.

Thanks,

Unfortunately this is the worst time to upgrade to newer a gpu as the prices of cards are ridiculous due to shortages caused by cryptocurreny mining and memory chip shortages.
I'd say if try getting a gtx 1060 6GB or the 1050 Ti.

Unfortunately this is the worst time to upgrade to newer a gpu as the prices of cards are ridiculous due to shortages caused by cryptocurreny mining and memory chip shortages.
I'd say if try getting a gtx 1060 6GB or the 1050 Ti.

Can the GTX 1050Ti achieve 60fps on maximum settings on GTA V?
I was thinking of buying older GPU model from less known vendor, maybe used, that could run the game on maximum settings with 60FPS.

Can you suggest one?

A gtx 1050ti should be able to give you 60 fps in GTA V. If going used look for a GTX 970 or better, though the used card market is also inflated due to the prices of new cards and lack there of.

Are you sure the GTX 1050TI could max the game?
I have searched for some benchmarks and the GPU can achieve max of 45FPS on highest settings. While the 1060 is getting 80FPS steady.

It will not at least at max settings, maybe Medium. Also that game is very CPU intensive and your's sadly will be a bottleneck for anything above a 1060 :(

you will want a 1060 6 gig card to really max it all out at 1080 60fps with all the eye candy on.
a 980TI will also get the job done.
a 970 might have issues with textures and such maxed out due to being 3.5 full speed vram, you can easily go over this amount of ram.

Never thought my AMD FX8350 could cause a bottleneck.
It is only 5 years old i believe.

In that case, what CPU i should choose if i want to get 60FPS?

Any fairly new quad-core Intel or Ryzen would be your best bet (although a 4c/8t would be best for fps). Note that i'm talking about 60fps 1080p MAX settings, anything lower and you should be able to play smoothly.

A better GPU is still going to be a better upgrade really. I would overclock that CPU and get a GTX 1060 or better instead. Otherwise, you need a complete system upgrade as there isn't anything worthwhile that is better that will drop right in.

Max the game no it's not going to max the game. At 1080p it shouldn't have an issue with 60+ fps from what I've read.

"Manages" to runs smoothly goes a big difference ;) i tested a few months ago, my FX-8370 4.7ghz has zones where it will drop below 60fps on High, whereas my i7-6700k 4.7ghz runs on Ultra with the same 1060 6gb at 90fps+ (except plane or skydiving where it drops to 70fps+). It's kinda meh to see such a big difference, but that's why i went Intel for the 1st time in my life, horsepower and smoothness.

Well.. I can only feel sorry for buying AMD CPU when i built this build instead of Intel. which still costs few hundred more dollars then AMD.
I was hoping for a quick and easy upgrade but I see it won't do any good.
So i guess I'll wait for GTA VIce City to come out and then buy a new computer if i will remain single by that time.

GPU have been very expensive for a while now because of the bitcoin mining craze, i bought my 1060 for £235 in June 2017 and it's now on sale for £355 (UK), i would advise waiting a few months to see if they drop. Again, with a 1060 6gb you should have no issues 1080p Medium/High settings if you tweak them (disable MSAA for FXAA for example), higher gets much more demanding :( as EarthDog said you can try overclocking 1st as it is a very CPU demanding game and will net you a few extra FPS.

The point is, I don't want to over clock or tweak it or to play it on medium/ high settings.
I don't have the free time or the interest to do so.
I rarely play on my PC and I want to start the game and get easy 60 FPS with every thing maxed out.
GTA is the video game which i grew up on, since GTA London, 1&2 etc.. so I do enjoy the game once in a while.
I think the best decision is to wait for GTA VI (if they will release it) and then buy a new PC by following the recommended specs for it.
Paying right now £300 for mid range GPU is very silly. though i highly doubt the prices will fall soon.

now, you're thinking, when the next gen of cards comes out, the last gen will fall.
pair a 1060 6gig card with a I5, 7xxx or 8xxx whatever cpu and you'll be good to go at 1080p.
for what's coming out, I'd shoot for a 1070 just to cover the bases.

Back