• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade for the sake of editing!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vibatrex

Registered
Hello! I recently ran into a problem with editing, as my GPU seems to be bogging down. What is the next step up, or a reasonably priced upgrade?

Also, I currently use 2 60hz 1080p monitors, so no need for anything beyond that.
Thanks!

What type of editing are you doing? Some instructions work better on NVidia Quadro business class GPUs.

Have you confirmed it's your GPU and not the CPU that is creating the bottleneck?

For what it's worth, there is a chip shortage right now that I'm sure you are aware of. There is very little out there that is, what I would consider, 'reasonably priced upgrades".

While Puget Systems is primarily a computer builder / system integrator, they do a lot of benchmarks for various editing workloads so you can take a look at their articles and see what works for the software you use. https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php At least that way if you're buying an overpriced card, you can know you'll get a return on the investment.

If this is just a hobby, seriously consider how much it's worth to you. If you use the computer to make money, or have enough money that the difference between spending $500-$800 or twice that is irrelevant to you, then I would hold off for now, or wait until you can pay a reasonable price for one.. You can still find cards, Newegg has drops, EVGA has a wait list, and if you live near a Microcenter, they sell them in person. Most of the people I know personally who have bought a new card got it from Microcenter.

Yeah, idk what software you are using but that hardware should be more than enough to edit even 4k video.

Back