• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade me NAS and need suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

I recently started gathering parts for a ryzen build for my desktop but since the cpu and gpu I am shooting for are consistently out of stock, I started giving more attention to my NAS. Originally I had thought I would grab a cheap Ryzen APU and do a quick swap but it seems that the APUs are in short supply as well. I am looking for as many threads as I can without breaking the bank. The Athlon 3000G would work if it had more cores/threads but sadly only offers 2c4t. So now I have to look at Intel and I have never been real savvy there. I would like a minimum of 4c8t and support for modern instruction sets. I know a NAS doesn't need real beefy CPU, but I would still like to bring mine to current/recent gen hardware.

If cpus were in stock and prices weren't artificially inflated , I expect I could build a 4c/8t AMD rig with new mobo and 16gb of ram on a ~200/250-ish budget. This might be a little optimistic but I think I could manage it. What would the intel counterpart to such a build be? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays

Last edited:

Ty again. This gave me a solid place to start. Now I can narrow down possible chipsets (looking at B365 and H370). I would like to do something fancy,if I can, with a multi-gpu setup and passthrough, but we will see what I can get with my budget. I will be perfectly happy with a solid board and 4 cores or better. Core count will become more important if I score a board that supports multi-gpu configs and passthrough.

All 3xx Intel chipsets should work with an 8th gen Intel CPU. The higher end chipsets with "Z" in them are overclockable. B and H chipsets are not overclockable boards. H boards will have better features than B boards.

Last edited:
Update:

Getting ready to commit to a 10100 and an msi mortar B460m for the dual gpu support. I'm am still on the fence after reading about the memory speed limits on I3/i5 for 10th gen. This is why AMD has always been default. Intel just searches for ways to kick the consumer.

That said: the i3/msi combo fits my budget and will work fine. I'm just angsty that I couldn't build a similar powered/priced rig with an AMD setup. Thanks for the help guys.

Back