• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade my CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eGeeked

I have a media server that I need to upgrade the CPU in. Below are the stats but my main question is which processor would most benefit my situation?

Motherboard: Biostar TA870U3+ AMD 870 ATX DDR3 1333 AM3
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333mhz
Space: 60GB Intel 520 SSD (Boot)
3x 2TB Cavier Green (Storage)
PSU: 600w
Everything else isn't necassarily important.

My Situation: I only use the server to rip bluray and dvds I own and I stream them to the TV's in the house via hard-wired whole home network. This device is firewalled and has no access to outside internet. I want to be able to play 2-3 titles at once without lag.

Possible Processors: AMD Phenom II x4 965 (BE) - AMD Phenom II x6 1045T - AMD FX 4100 - AMD FX 6100

Thank you for your opinions in advance.

Highly debated, they're pretty much equal. Depends if you're doing integer or floating point calculations. No clue which one ripping DVDs and streaming is.

Ok, going with a 6 core should I upgrade the cooling? I currently just have 6 fans in there and the server is stored in a well insulated but still chilly basement. Thoughts?

Just six fans? :p. If you're planning to overclock, I'd get an aftermarket heatsink. If not, stock is fine. I'd imagine your case airflow is more than sufficient.

my vote would be the 1045t of the two noted, you don't need nor want the heat of bulldozer. your case i think will take a corsair h100 in the top with no issues.

Back