• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lost grandfather

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

One thing I find frustrating when working with customers who have ancient equipment is that if you have to do a fresh, from scratch install of Windows 10 you sometimes can't get their 15 yr. old printer or other very old peripheral devices to work any more. They worked fine when "grandfathered in" by Windows 10 after upgrading from an earlier OS but you lose them when doing a from scratch install of Windows 10.

One of my customers fell for a ransomware attack this week and I had to wipe everything and do a destructive install of Windows 10 on a computer that started its life with Vista, then was upgraded to Win 7 and then Win 8 and finally Windows 10. She had two printers connected, a newer HP and an ancient Canon. I tried everything to get the Canon working again but could not. Windows 7 drivers wouldn't even install. Windows 8 would install but not actually work. The printer could not be found by Windows 10 even though connected by USB so the drivers were not in the native Windows 10 collection.

She was very gracious and understanding but a lot of customers will look at you and say, "I don't understand. It was working before on Windows 10."

This may not work but:

Right click on old driver exe then

Compatibility.png

Control Panel > Device Manager, right click on your device or on the Unknown Device > Update Driver Software... >
Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from the device drivers on my computer > Next >
WAIT FOR THE MANUFACTURER/MODEL LIST TO BE FILLED
[If it's there] UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware > Select Manufacturer name on the left side and model on the right side > Next > Yes > Close.

If you can get Windows to see the printer but are just having an issue finding a driver, try using the MS Publisher Imagesetter driver. It is found under the Generic vendor and I've had good success using this driver with ancient printers that have seen their driver support dry up long ago.

This may not work but:

Right click on old driver exe then

View attachment 191311

Control Panel > Device Manager, right click on your device or on the Unknown Device > Update Driver Software... >
Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from the device drivers on my computer > Next >
WAIT FOR THE MANUFACTURER/MODEL LIST TO BE FILLED
[If it's there] UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware > Select Manufacturer name on the left side and model on the right side > Next > Yes > Close.

Computer not seeing printer at all. Not listed in device manager, even as an unknown device. No musical jingle when plugging in USB cable.

Computer not seeing printer at all. Not listed in device manager, even as an unknown device. No musical jingle when plugging in USB cable.
If different USB ports / different computers are not detecting it at all as unknown even, than it's not the OS...

I tried different ports but not different computers. Other USB devices were working fine on that same computer. I suppose it's possible that something electronic having to do with the printer port went bad or maybe the USB cable. I did not have another cable with me to test the cable. Anyway, that printer has served it's time and is now time for it to go the way of all electronics. The customer doesn't need two printers anyway. Just wanted to vent.

I would gather that under some circumstances (2 printers), out with the old is not always a bad thing. Just don't tell him lol.

I would gather that under some circumstances (2 printers), out with the old is not always a bad thing. Just don't tell him lol.

Agreed. Customer mentioned that she was having a hard time even finding cartridges for the old Canon anymore anyway.

I never understand why people use inkjets when lasers are fifty bucks and toner lasts forever and refills are cheap.

I got a fifty dollar laser printer for this grandma, it must have been five years ago and the toner is still going without a single refill, and before that she just kept shelling money out for ink cartridges.

It is coupla hundred pages (less if the ink dries out) vs. thousands of pages for a Laser drum. Inkjets are therefore exorbitantly *more* expensive.

The down side would be no color printouts if you go with really affordable monochrome lasers.

And you have to make sure you get a laser printer model with a known refillable drum.

I was still adjusting to the thread title when the laser printers came up. I initially thought trents went to the mall and...well...

I was still adjusting to the thread title when the laser printers came up. I initially thought trents went to the mall and...well...

I thought that would get your attention. Thanks for your sympathy, even if it was short-lived.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, C6. Unless you need color, it is economic idiocy to get an inkjet when I see monochrome lasers on sale for $60. But almost everytime I put that choice to my elderly customers they say they want color. And the one time the customer said he didn't need color and I ordered him a nice Brother AIO laser - well after I installed it for him, his wife came in and said, "You mean it doesn't print in color? Why'd you get that one?"

Personally, I have found that having both a color AIO inkjet and a simple monochrome laser works for me. The laser really is nice when I produce handouts for my adult Sunday school class. Much cheaper and faster.

When I need color printouts, I calculated it's much cheaper to get those for 25¢ a pop across the street at the copier place then to invest in color inkjet and cartridges.
That's not an option for everyone. UPS/FedEx places and similar offer that too.

I have occasionally found it's cheaper to get another $25 on sale printer than to buy cartridges for the last $25 on sale printer I bought. It is a wee bit ridiculous.

Imagine not worrying about that for thousands of pages. That is what laser gives you.

For inkjet printers I buy Canon anymore because they still let you use inexpensive third party cartridges. Epson also has a printer line out now that has refillable tanks on the side for bulk ink.

I don't think I'm going to fuss with it anymore. Seemed like the customer was not all that interested in pursing it anymore, both because she had a newer inkjet also on the system and because she was having trouble finding cartridges for the old Canon. But for future reference I will keep that compatibility mode option in my bag of tricks. Thanks all for that suggestion.

Back