• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lot of people asking the same thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxlegends

Registered
Hello my name is Max I buy parts and build computers to sell whole. Sometimes people ask me for suggestions and I will basically go down with FAQ's on how to pick out your new gaming setup. There are a lot of you who have been previously burned by manufactures because all manufactures have things they do not want you to know.

First of all,

A lot of techies on this site know this but only suggest buying a ''single faster card'' than buying another card such as your own for and SLI bridge.

They use the excuse, ''always leave room for future upgrades'' but sadly this is not the case. I had a customer buy a $9000 computer from me a long time ago that he custom ordered that WOULD NOT PLAY GAMES AT ALL.

Another customer loved his 8800 so much he wanted to get another one for his two monitor setup. I had a bad feeling on the SLI due to numerous negative feedback but he insisted I do it. What we both found out when we bridged the two cards was, SLI does not work on multiple displays. GREAT

Anywho, after all the experiences I have had with SLI builds, they simply do not work.

Second thing I want you to know about video cards

Shaders and clock cores and vram and cuda cores MEAN NOTHING. To really understand the complexity of video cards go to a 3d design / tech institution. Like most of you who didn't my best advice is get the newest possible hardware you can because it will be faster then its previous model. No matter how much you OC it , you will still never meet the standard of professional's.

Screens

Complaint's about Video cards are usually more integrated with the resolution then the CPU. A lot of people jump to overclocking their CPU because they think their card get's bottle necked. Truth is most game's run a quad core, those who have quad cores, don't need to overclock it at all. Do not underestimate the power of that chip.

That being said you need to make sure of the resolution you want combined with the amount of inches you want on your screen, with the screens response time. If you want personal recommendations I'd go with a 27'' asus 2ms(GTG) , google that and you will find it.

I want to leave some room for questions so feel free to drop a thought

Hello my name is Max I buy parts and build computers to sell whole. Sometimes people ask me for suggestions and I will basically go down with FAQ's on how to pick out your new gaming setup. There are a lot of you who have been previously burned by manufactures because all manufactures have things they do not want you to know.

First of all,

A lot of techies on this site know this but only suggest buying a ''single faster card'' than buying another card such as your own for and SLI bridge.

They use the excuse, ''always leave room for future upgrades'' but sadly this is not the case. I had a customer buy a $9000 computer from me a long time ago that he custom ordered that WOULD NOT PLAY GAMES AT ALL.

Another customer loved his 8800 so much he wanted to get another one for his two monitor setup. I had a bad feeling on the SLI due to numerous negative feedback but he insisted I do it. What we both found out when we bridged the two cards was, SLI does not work on multiple displays. GREAT

Anywho, after all the experiences I have had with SLI builds, they simply do not work.

Shaders and clock cores and vram and cuda cores MEAN NOTHING. To really understand the complexity of video cards go to a 3d design / tech institution. Like most of you who didn't my best advice is get the newest possible hardware you can because it will be faster then its previous model. No matter how much you OC it , you will still never meet the standard of professional's.

Screens

Complaint's about Video cards are usually more integrated with the resolution then the CPU. A lot of people jump to overclocking their CPU because they think their card get's bottle necked. Truth is most game's run a quad core, those who have quad cores, don't need to overclock it at all. Do not underestimate the power of that chip.

That being said you need to make sure of the resolution you want combined with the amount of inches you want on your screen, with the screens response time. If you want personal recommendations I'd go with a 27'' asus 2ms(GTG) , google that and you will find it.

I want to leave some room for questions so feel free to drop a thought

Welcome and an interesting rant.

1. SLi does work and it sounds like you are saying it does not.
2. Your methodology is screwed up there. A core is A core and for games speed is where it is at. Most games and other software do not (READ NOT) take advantage of 4 cores. I have had several things run faster on a dual @ 4Ghz than the same core (PHII)x4 @ 3,2 Ghz.
3. CUDA cores make all the difference when it comes to their purpose.

So perhaps this is your experience dealing with normal users but here it is just not so. It don't fly.

With all due respect sir, you have A LOT to learn. The good news is, you came to the right place....

not all video cards use cuda cores first of all... so they are not even necessary

AMD cards do not. But they us something similar though they work a bit different.

What are you talking about though? You really are not making much sense in any of your posts. I really think you need to stop giving advice and sit back and learn for a while...then perhaps move forward. As it stands, your advice is off the wall max...:shrug:

if im not mistaken a cuda core is the same as a stream processor just works in a different way, so therefor they both are the same just different? so both amd cards and nvidia cards have them? wuut?
:rofl:
Spot on. :thup:

Last edited:
not all video cards use cuda cores first of all... so they are not even necessary

No they are not but to use the advanced features that are coded for and accelerated by them they are.

Tell ya what run physics on a cuda enabled game with everything maxed out and PhysX on with and without CUDA and get back to me.

do anyone of you here even run sli setup's or ever had one? not just benchmarked?

I run AMD Dual Graphics, which works in the same way that CrossfireX does. Works fine.

Lots and lots and lots of people here have CFX and SLI setups.

do anyone of you here even run sli setup's or ever had one? not just benchmarked?

Absolutely but I broke my SLi up and use the cards as dedicated PhysX cards now! At the moment I am running dual cards (One for PhysX and one as the main GPU). Does SLi Help? Night and day man night and day.

In every game? Absolutely not.

Yep.. Did for a short time. I dont like it because I dont need it (2560x1440) The advice I share is usually to do it with multi monitor setups only as those are the only setups that 'need' it. But it does work the vast majority of the time. :thup:

theres lots o guys here who run them, ive ran crossfire not sli which seemed to work just fine for me.

but you might want to do some reading on stuff... i mean with all the mis-information you have been feeding, after being asked to do some research before you post, it would seem to some people that you were trollin

I have to agree with all the other comments. Your advice is quite off the wall.

SLI does work, quite well actually.

As for shaders, core clocks and VRAM meaning nothing, try having a GPU without them.

EDIT: I ran an SLI setup of gts 250's while my gtx 680 was on it's way. SLI performed much better than the single gts 250.

Absolutely but I broke my SLi up and use the cards as dedicated PhysX cards now! At the moment I am running dual cards (One for PhysX and one as the main GPU). Does SLi Help? Night and day man night and day.

In every game? Absolutely not.

I second this. My first sli setup was with two 7800GTX's and even though sli was still rather new (VoodooII aside) at that time so the drivers and games were not coded as well for sli as they are now, the improvement was still worth it in most games.

I havn't run sli for a few years now but I'm willing to bet running sli offers more gains now than what it did back then....with the improved drivers and games now being designed to take advantage of it.

Even running a seperate card for PhysX can make a good difference in some games. NFS:Shift used to struggle on my old GTX260 with PhysX enabled, until I put in an old 8800GT and ran that for PhysX alongside the 260.

First of all,

If you find this in a thread, it is usually because by the time someone is thinking of a second GPU, it makes more sense fiscally to just buy the newer gen card. For example, why would I have gotten a second 6850 that is still going to limit me to 1GB of VRAM and xfire goes underutilized in most games, when a 7850 cost me less and provides a massive improvement in performance, power usage, and a big bump in VRAM? If you have the cash, of course SLI/Crossfire is awesome. For most of us, that isn't an option.

Which you should have figured out with a simple google search. This was a well known issue.

I can't tell if you are for or against bridging cards, but I already wrote that stuff above, so meh.

This section really makes no sense whatsover. Yes, shaders, cores, and amount of VRAM absolutely matter. That is the reason we aren't all still running ATI Rage cards lol.

Screens

Ask the users still running a quad core first gen phenom how they feel about this statement. I didn't need to overclock for bottlenecking reasons, but it sure as hell sped up my transcoding, folding, and data processing times.

I want to leave some room for questions so feel free to drop a thought I am really trying not to be harsh here, but every single one of your posts is misinformed, discouraging of what we do here, or downright incorrect. You need to spend some time reading here, you have quite a bit to learn. Unless you are trolling, in which case disregard this.

It has been good so far considering the original post, but everyone please remember to keep the discussion civil. I believe that maxlegends has a bit to learn, but we don't want to be rude about it. :thup:

I run sli gtx 680s and yes i see a BIG different's in games vs just one. i used 3.5 vram with these

I Crossfired 4870m's in my old Laptop. In most games, Crysis and BF3 mainly, I saw a near double in framrates. From 16ish in Crysis to 30'ish on highest possible settings and from about 25 to 40'ish frames in BF3 on High settings. The difference can be huge and it is like crack when you are used to playing at 25-30 frames and then all of a sudden you are playing in fluid movement in game. With eye candy even!

Back