• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lots of questions about a new gaming laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But i was in pretty deep with watercooling and even using those freezer cooly thingies that were big 6 years ago. I cant remember the name of it for the life of me

As you're referring to watercooling and a "freezer cooly thingy" (had to keep the terminology;)) I believe that you're referring to a peltier.

I haven't heard of ThrottleStop before, I'll have to check it out! :)

deathstar its worth me telling you, as its not easily observed the 500GB Momentus XT has 4GB of SSD modules whereas the 750GB has 8GB. I figured for much of the time that would allow it to run applications off the SSD modules allone and reduce the lag of setting the hard drive spinning. And by the time its formatted and you've left 5% empty 500GB is not so big. So the bigger one should have advantages in terms of capacity and speed. From what I understand about how they work :salute:

Naw, Not a peltier. Too much hassle with those.
Those cryo type freezers that have compressors and a line direct to the cpu and uses refrigerant like a freezer does. Mainly a mini freezer for your CPU. Im sure they still make them, I just cant remember the name.
Mine was modded new from the factory by the top guy in the field over at Xtreme Systems and id get my Pentium 4 down to about -40c under full load and 5ghz clock with the OC.
I smoked 3 or 4 mobo's due to condensation and said enough of that.

I can be completly off on this, But i have been doing some research as i cant buy nothing until the first of the month so i have plenty of time to see whats best for the money and if i do make the upgrade to pick the right SSD.

Im not complaining about this Hybrid drive, It smokes my old 7200rpm laptop drive that has 32mb of cache iirc that is in my old laptop. I can boot in 20-30 seconds on this thing, But i keep my start-up menu pretty clean and it needs more cleaning yet when i learn what each utility Toshiba has running that i really need going.

4GB of cache can fill up fast once your loading windows and what ever small start up apps you have. I read a review at Anandtech on the drive and it did rather well and was about middle of the road between plain 7200 drives and SSD drives in speed. As i said im seeing 100/100GB read/write score on Atto tests.

Without being almost an Engineer or HDD expert it would be hard for me to test whats faster or the same once windows has loaded without buying the SSD and doing seat of the pants testing as the Hybrid drive is a mystery alot in how it works and assigns saves and needed info.

It would be nice if i could see the drive in a virtual aspect so i could see whats stored where and how the SSD reads and writes and moves info and know more how it responds and interacts with the platters.

Seeing i will be playing games, Watching 3D movies and most web surfing its kind of a toss up if i really need the SSD drive. It cant hurt, But it could be a bad bang for the buck move if im not carefull.

I do think the 500GB + 4GB SSD Hybrid would be a perfect storage drive for me over a 5400rpm drive. I dont buy into the platter count and where the info is stored on the platter making one as fast as a 7200 drive, Why? because we dont get to put that info where we want it most times and your at the mercy of the software and drive.
Ill take the 250GB storage lose.
I also have USB 3.0 inputs and a nice 750GB 7200rpm extrenal drive that would need a new enclosure for the USB 3.0 but that would beat the 5400 drive.
I think ive mentioned before tho, Ive never used more than 250gb on ANY computer ive ever used. I dont store stuff.

But when i get a better idea of what im doing ill be back and talk about it.

Ah, phase change cooling. Single stage I assume being in the P4 era....although triple stage cascades seemed to be the king for a bit rather than going with LN2. Phase change was a good option as it allowed for COLD temps at 24/7 use....can't do that with LN2 without hiring an oompa-loompa to continuously monitor levels and top up accordingly. ;)

Yup, Phase change is what it was. That name just kept eluding my brain. It was a modified stage one by the master of the times that did the refrigeration mods by swapping out the gas's and also put a new copper block on the head, It handled the P4 which at the time was the worlds hottest cpu to cool.
I cant remember that members name who did the mods tho, He was big at XtremeSystems tho.
I just could never get the seal around the head right and condensation kept plaguing me and killing mobo's.
LN2, I wont touch that stuff, Thats for mad men imo! :)

On a side note my usb hub died and luckily didn't take anything with it. I had the thing for years and lost the 5v wall wart so i put one on it from a cell phone which was ok until i put this new 3 fan cooling pad into it as the wart was only a .2A rated brick used for a cell phone.
I found another one here that "said" 5V but read 7.5v and 2A's. I have an EE background and my dad spent his life in the field and he assured me it would be fine to swap them as the smaller cell phone one was getting warm and they never do so i was concerned about that.
Later after a few hours on the new wart my Turtle beach DX12 headphones would go to a LOUD white noise for no reason, Id reset the hub and the usb plug and it would be fine for another 5 minutes. At that point i knew things were going bad so i unplugged everything except my cooling pad from it.
Today i went back and put the lesser cell phone wart back on and see if i could save it, No dice it had killed some internals as it wouldn't run any devices. But it still would output power so i left my fans on it as i don't want them on my laptop and have it smoke a usb port.
Luckily newegg had this for $12 shipped with the promo they are running.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182212

It may take a week to get here, But i have enough ports on the laptop to keep me up and running until it gets here. I think i also got kinda lucky that when the hub died it didn't take anything with it or smoke the laptop. I told my dad when i asked his opnion on adding that higher voltage wart if he felt it was safe and he said " If it says 5v its fine as it will sag and there should be some voltage tolerance in the device as a car battery is rated at 12v, But is actually 16v when being used". Well he was WRONG!

Im pretty sure im gonna go with the SSD 120/128GB drive since i have the 6gb chipset bandwidth, Had i only had 3gb it wouldn't be worth the upgrade.
Ill then put the 500GB/4GB SSD hybrid drive as my storage drive.
It looks like Kingston, Corsair and Mushkin are the go to drives for SSD, OCZ seems to be hit or miss and has scared me since the beginning when SSD first hit the market as they were always fighting issues. Bu they have great customer service, So i wont hold that against them.

I do need to pull out the main drive and look at it as ive read a few places mentioning i may need a 7mm drive and not the 9mm they usually are. But the optional drive Toshiba offers thats an SSD is a 9mm drive so who knows at this point.
Other than that i cant think of a single upgrade i could use.

Memory is expensive for 8gb sticks and not needed so ill wait a year or two and then upgrade that.
OC'ing the GPU may be fun for a bit as it does run cool at 35c idle and 64c max, Its the Nvidia GTX 560M Which is just two small steps from the fastest gpu a laptop can get.
But more power never hurt anyone. But i think i want to wait until i get the tims redone.
I think ill look into some new thermal compound, Just gotta look up some reviews and comparisons as i want to buy the best from the get go and not be testing and taking this thing apart 10 times trying to see whats best.
I just need to get a copper sheet from my local hobby store as it seems every time i go in and redo tims they always use some thick tim that when removed leaves a gap when just using thermal compound alone.

Ive seen mention of Nanotherm, Diamond paste and Shin-Etsu and most of them were around the last time i was cleaning and redoing the tims on my old laptop just a couple years back.

BTW if anyone is interested in the Toshiba 775 series i cant say enough good things about it. Everything im doing here is nothing a normal person should or would have to deal with or worry about. Im just an old OC'r who is picky and very detail oriented and my past experience makes me OCD about fixing every single small thing that i really should not even mess with. But whats the fun in that?!

This laptop should be middle of the road to almost high end-ish still 3-4 years down the road even with no more upgrades once i do the SSD as i feel those will be mainstream pretty soon once they can get 500MB SSD drives at more reasonable prices.

I figured id give an update on how things have progressed, I say "progressed" as i think im done for now as you can only do so much to a laptop. I still need to go in and redo the thermal tims and compounds.

The cooling pad is just awesome with the extra 140mm fan, It will still hit 80c during a game but only throttle back too 2.4ghz on all four cores. If the thermal work helps out enough i could possibly keep it at 2.8ghz on all cores if i can stay under 80C.

I changed out the Seagate XT 500GB 7200rpm 4GB SSD hybrid drive in favor of a Kingston HyperX 120 SataIII SDD 6gb bandwidth.
Needless to say it put some giddyup in the caboose! The Hybrid drive is doing storage duty for my games now in the second hdd slot. Too bad this didnt have raid options, But its fast as crap anyhow.
AttoHyperXSSD.jpg

My score dropped a .1 from 7.2 WE points with fluctuations, But im sure i could raise it if i OC the card as its still stock. But not until i do any thermal work.
PCWin7Experiencescores.jpg

Boot times and i kid you not are 11-13 seconds on a restart, Slightly longer from an off state which i havent measured much.
I did have a Big issue getting the SSD to run its claimed speeds, I even turned ahci off and ran comparability mode as it was scoring higher like that, I knew it was a software issue somewhere causing it. It turns out the Toshiba HDD drop protection doesn't kick off when you install an SSD drive, Once i killed that app it was all SPEED.

I had to stop playing games in 3D as the accuracy just isnt there due to the use of two images and it leaves what i call "slop" in the feel of the game. It acts just like a lagging mouse if that makes any sense.

I thought you might like to compare. Your SSD sounds mental! Can't complain about the boot speed of the hybrid drive though. Definitely worth a few points over 5.9. Its a shame WEI is full of artificial limits or it would be a useful comparison tool.

My M14X doesn't actually have a Full HD screen I used my external display so that it shows the graphics card properly as being a GT 555M instead of saying Intel(R) HD.

Attachments

• weiM14X.jpg
    weiM14X.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 55
I gotta admit the HD 17" screen in 1080P is just amazing, And nuts watching movies in 3D.
But past that and the HDD we have pretty similar laptops. Do you have a bay for a second HDD? or raid options?
Id love a raid setup with 2x 250GB SSD in raid 0 that are the 6gb bandwith specs, It would be mind blowing and it also would allow for more multi tasking as i can overload my storage drive if i install two games at once.
But the Seagate XT 500GB 4GB SSD hybrid drive is pretty nice as a storage drive as you dont give up too much in the way of speed.

I also like the kinda "Over the top" styling of the Alienware, Mine is called "tacky" looking all over the net. But the illuminated keyboard is the bomb since i do most of my pc time at night in dimly lit rooms.

Oddly, This laptop purchase was a bit different than past purchases as it seems desktop replacement laptops are fewer and far between. But when i saw this Qosmio i knew i wanted it even tho the price tag about gave me a heart attack.

Add in the $150 Turtle Beach headphones i couldn't live without and the laser Logitech G9x gaming mouse and now the SSD drive i don't think there is much left to spend money on even if i tried. But using the thing is pure joy i must say, Its like a dream come true in many aspects.

Besides the thermal pastes and tims to work on to help the cooling i think the only thing ill be doing later is upgrading the ram too 16GB, But that is planned to be evaluated next year as i dont need it now and i really need the prices to drop as 8GB sticks are way expensive. Im not even coming close to even using half my ram even with the pagefile off.

Of course you know what you need and like, But if you have room with a second HDD bay id definitely look into the SSD drives as it lets the real power of the laptops specs work to their max abilities.
But if you have no second bay id stay away from SSD for a while until the larger drives get cheaper, They will get faster also which is nuts.
This last generation is when it went too SATA III and 6GB bandwith that really lets the SSD fly like i always imagined it would.

I think this thing will still be current and relevant 4 years from now, As i cant really upgrade much else. But i can only imagine the speeds laptops will have then and make me want to upgrade.

It is amazing they are so similar considering the difference in physical size the alienware cooler must have its work cut out. My only option for an SSD would be to remove the optical bay. If you wanted to run them in RAID it would be hella expensive for two SSD's. They are still very expensive and I can't afford to start playing with them or sacrifice storage. And even on my desktop all of my games end up getting installed on the hard drive so its a bit pointless unless you can shell out for a huge SSD. Maybe one day when I am plush I will get another SSD for my desktop and RAID them. I have 16GB of RAM in my Desktop and its a bit pointless to be honest but at least it was cheap enough in full size DIMM. 16GB in a laptop sounds rather overkill, but I understand that is the fun of it :D but not at current prices.

I've gotten my asus g53 back. I've got the same specs as you except a 240gb hyper x, and a i7 2630qm. Oh and 12gb ram. I've got 2 hard drive bays. I also modded my keyboard so it is green and purple :D performance info.png

Mine has a hard time staying cool and its a 17" screen so it has plenty of room, But it still needs taken apart and thermal compounds redone and the tims also.
I wouldn't raid 0 two SSD drives unless it was two 240GB drives as 500GB is a minimum storage any pc needs imo. I have the space, Just not the raid equipment.

There could be several reasons for different scores even tho our hardware sounds identical.
Its possible his mobo uses a different chip set with slower buss speeds which may answer why 12B of ram scored lower than mine.
There are also many versions of the GTX560M card some with DDR3 ram and less of it, Mine is 1.5GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory. And im also using Beta Nvidia drivers as i had 3D issues with all other drivers.

Im a real stickler for the fine points, I wring the last bit of performance out of everything. I said to heck with Toshiba drivers and went to Intel and got the most updated ones for the chipset,Buss's and storage.

Full specs of mine from Toshiba: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/qosmio/X770/X775-3DV80

snowbrdd- You got that .1 extra on the Hdd scores that im trying to tweak into, But the HyperX drive is flying as it is.

Here is a more detailed spec sheet to compare his too and you can our graphics aren't identical cards.
WEscoresandspecs.jpg

Also i did a fresh Windows 7 install and not the clone as i never trust that method for max performance.
So its my guess its just a matter of tweaks and installs of drivers and his scores could be very different. Or our main boards are so different they just dont run the same even tho we have such close specs.

I need to find the time to do a fresh wnidows 7. A few days ago my laptop is starting to seem sluggish for unknown reasons. It is annoying me as it would eventualyl freeze and bsod. Grr..

I need to find the time to do a fresh wnidows 7. A few days ago my laptop is starting to seem sluggish for unknown reasons. It is annoying me as it would eventualyl freeze and bsod. Grr..

That sounds typical of memory failure....or worse...SSD failure. :-/

Definitely a fresh install, Especially if you cloned it the first time.
When you install drivers bypass Asus's drivers and get them directly from Intel and NVidea.
Im using the beta drivers from NVidea on my GTX 560M and it works perfectly unlike the previous releases which game me 3D issues.

I hope its not a SSD issue as thats gonna be a pain, But if Kingston is still as good as they were 6 years ago when i was all about "OC'ing" then they should take care of you fine.

I plan on adding a second SSD for storage with a 240-250GB drive, Sadly price may dictate what i buy as the HyperX 240GB is close too $400
Most likely it will be an OCZ or Mushkin, But ill see how prices are when im ready to buy.
The HyperX 120GB SSD is good, But they make faster. But it can only be seen in benchmarks, I bought Kingston due to its good reliability its products were known for in my past.
OCZ is faster and cheaper, But i swear they always release stuff way to early before getting the bugs out so they can stay king of the hill. But i still like them alot, Just cautious with them.

Ever since Windows XP BSOD's have been a thing of the past unless you have a SERIOUS issue going on.

CrystalDiskInfo may be a quick way to look at your SSD and see an issue.

Well I just did a fresh install and I think I got a bug on myself. Any of you heard of windows 7 shine version? Its a pretty damn cool version of windows 7.
Ah and I got my 240 gb for 150. :D Friend of mine is a LIL un techy. Capture.PNG
Edit: Just did this, tell me if you think theres anything wrong with this.

Last edited:
I used to get BSOD's or odd freeze ups(desktop), thought it was memory at first but it turned out to be SSD. I contacted Corsair and they said it was common and gave me a link to flash it. I backed up my stuff flashed it did a fresh install and its been rock solid since then :)

It may not hurt to send that pic to Kingston or ask them if there is a better test for your HyperX drive to eliminate it from being suspect as going bad. I personally dont see anything bad, But ive been in the SSD game for 4-5 days now.

You stole that SSD for $150, I couldn't touch one for $400 hardly.

xD. Well he doesn't even have a upgradable computer. Still on IDE somehow... Said I could take it.

Here are the Specs: on my NEW Qosmio

Performance

Processor*
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor
Operating System*
Windows 8
Graphics Engine*
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M (3D Vision)
Graphics Memory*
3GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory

Memory and Storage

Memory*
16GB DDR3 1600MHz memory
Hard Drive*
1.75TB: 750GB (7200rpm, SSD) + 1.0TB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
Optical Drive*
Blu-ray Disc™ Rewriteable (BD-RE) and DVD SuperMulti drive

Audio and Video

Display Size
17.3" widescreen
Display Type*
HD+ TruBrite® LED Backlit display with Intel® Wireless Display Technology
Display Resolution
16:9 aspect ratio, 1920x1080, Supports 1080p content
3D Package
NVIDIA® 3D VISION™ 2 Kit (1-pair active shutter glasses, Integrated 3D Vision IR emitter, USB 2.0 type A to 5-pin mini-B cable)
Audio
Built-in microphone, Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone input port with Sleep and Music, SRS Premium Sound 3D®, harman/kardon® Quad Speakers

Communication

Webcam
3D Stereo Webcam and Microphone
Wireless LAN*
Intel® Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n + WiDi Capable)
Bluetooth
Bluetooth® V4.0
Modem
No Modem port
LAN
10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Power

AC Adapter
180W (19V x 9.5A) Auto-sensing,100-240V AC Adapter
Battery
Li-Ion (47Wh, 8-Cell)

Expansion

PC Express Slot
No PC Express Slot
SmartCard Reader
No SmartCard Reader slot
Media
Memory Card Reader
USB Ports
2-USB (3.0) ports, 2-USB (3.0) ports with Sleep and Charge
HDMI
HDMI® output port
RGB
RGB port

Software, Support and Security

Security and Protection
HDD Recovery, Security Cable Lock Slot
Software*
Hard disc (HDD) recovery, Internet Explorer® 10, Microsoft® Windows™ Essentials 2012 including Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, and Skydrive desktop, Microsoft® Office (60-day Trial), Norton Anti-Theft™ (60-day Trial), Norton Internet Security™ 2013 (30-day trial subscription), NortonOnline Backup (30-day Trial), SRS Premium Sound 3D®, TOSHIBA BookPlace™, TOSHIBA Disc Creator, TOSHIBA HDD Protection, TOSHIBA Media Player by sMedio Truelink+, TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor, TOSHIBA Recovery Disk Creator, TOSHIBA Resolution+® Upconvert Plug-in for Media Player, TOSHIBA Service Station, TOSHIBA Sleep Utility, TOSHIBA eco Utility™, WildTangent® Game Console, Intel® Wireless Display 3.0
Standards
RoHS Compatible, Energy Star Qualified, EPEAT™ Gold
Standard Limited Warranty*
1-Yr Parts and Labor, 1-Year Battery

Physical Description

Inputs and Controls
Click pad pointing device with multi-touch control, Premium Raised Tile LED backlit Keyboard with 10-Keypad (black)
Weight*
Starting at 7.5lbs.
Color
Black Widow Styling in Diamond-Textured Aluminum

**Only Upgrade before Feb.2013 will be swapping out the 4GB 1600 Ram and replacing with 4 x 8GB 1600 RAM** Ready for SIM CITY to the MAX!!! :D

If this system does not last me 4 yrs I will be DISAPPOINTED! :) CPT_Ca5h :)

Back