• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

low fps all of sudden

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Im running a laptop with 2.1ghz sempron, 4gb ram, radeon hd4200 mobile.

Always played bf2 no issues at all. With video card settings on "performance", the mipmap set to quality, vsync disabled and all the settings in game let to low except for terrain set to medium. Not too sure what my fps was, never bothered to check but it was always smooth unless a big fire fight went on then it would drop to id say 30-40 range and get a bit sluggish.

Out of no where things got really slow. Checked my fps and its 40-50 running around and as soon as someone pops up on the screen it dives to 20-30. Almost impossible to play. Ive checked all in game settings, video settings, etc and nothing was changed. Updated drivers to the most recent and have everything set to max performance. Still no luck. I have even tried dropping the in game terrain settings to low and nothing changes.

Any suggestions as to what could be going on?

Heres the video settings more in depth.

hd antialiasing: application --- disabled
ansiotropic filter: application --- disabled
catalyst a.i.: advanced, if I disable it I get weird fuzzy black patches all over the game
mipmap: high performance
adaptive anti-aliasing: disabled
opengl settings: "triple buffering" unchecked

Refresh rate in game being off cause it by chance? Just to try things for ****s and giggles I set the in game settings to default then set them all back to where I wanted them. Ive never changed the in game screen resolution and rate before. I noticed after hitting default it moved it back to 800x600 60hz. was 8x6 72hz. Hopped in a game and played for few minutes and things seem to bit better. hard to tell as of yet.

Last edited:
Im floored that you are running it that way even on performance. Sounds like what you have now is what you should be getting on a laptop...

Thanks guys, got it figured out.

Once in awhile...very rarley...the in game video settings all get changed to high detail middle of game, so I have to leave the server, reset them and rejoin.

Well last time it did this was about 2-3 weeks ago, i exited, changed them, then went to bed. Finally got around to playing again and thats when I had the fps issue...heres what fixed it...makes absolutley no sense to me though.

When having the problem I was running everything on low except for the terrain which was on medium, even when I did set it to low I was still getting bad fps. For some reason in the back of my mind I didnt ever remember having terrain on medium before and texture on low. So a few minutes ago I changed terrain back to low, and moved texture from low to medium and problem solved. Fps bumped to the point where I had to move the mipmap setting to back to quality due to the increased mouse sensitivity.

Now all card settings are on low except for mipmap which is on quality, in game is all low except for texture on medium. Pulling 98-100 fps running around, 70-80 with a few guys on the screen, and when things get busy itll drop to the 50 range...I can finally play again. It was to the point where I could barley move or do anything and I was getting motion sick.

What do you guys think of this little desktop for bf2, and maybe some other basic games. Once bf3 comes around I could always upgrade the video card perhaps?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/studio-xps-7100/pd?oc=dxdwds2&model_id=studio-xps-7100

I understand buying a prebuilt is kinda looked down upon around here and I could build one thats better for the same amount, but ive been out of the computer thing for 5-6 years now. I remember when the 9800 pro was THE card to have. So id be a bit lost now days when it comes to figuring out what parts are best, what would work well, etc for a build, and figured this would be an option better suited for my needs.

Creepy... we'll help you build it. Thats why we are here. Start another thread in the appropriate section with your budget listed and any carry over parts, and we can make some magic happen.

Back