• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low power build - 12v power supply (brick) advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nfinity

I'm planing on doing a low power build. Trying to get my hands on a cheaper skylake ITX board with 12V DC in. This will be used mostly as a NAS but also likely a plex server and could have a few more things planned. I would leave it on 24/7 so would like the idle watts to be low as possible.

I saw this article that helped my interest that 10 watts idle was doable yet have more power then a standalone NAS.

https://mattgadient.com/building-a-low-power-pc-on-skylake-10-watts-idle/

My hardware thoughts/plans
CPU - likely a G3900T or G4400T any sklake 35 Watt cpu
RAM - one stick of 8GB ddr4
STORAGE - get a cheap ssd for OS and have a 3TB red drive I'll use. May get another large hard drive for backup to primary 3TB drive.
PSU - ? thinking will be stuck with 12v options, If I get this MB. Thinking 90W power supply with do.

Any advice here? Found this DTK power supply at a good price... are they reliable and efficient?
https://www.amazon.com/DTK-Adapter-...0+watt+12v+power+supply&qid=1572366467&sr=8-7

Biggest focus is efficiently yet not blowing up my hardware at a decent price... I know FSP makes good stuff and decent efficiently. Just haven't found one at a decent price yet...

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Just found this FSP power supply at 75W for 12v out...

If 75 watts would be enough...

I dont recall seeing any ITX motherboard with a 12v in like that. Wouldn't that have to be a laptop board???

That said, I'd stick with itx and a normal psu if possible.

it has a 12v DC power plug on the end. The 4pin 12v plug on the top right corner from my understanding is a secondary power option if you didn't want to use 12v DC connector.

Last edited:
Woodmack - Thanks, I see those Chiefec power supply only sold in Europe.. The spec sheet is really good but still a bit pricey for me for the ones I saw on the European market.

I ended up going with a Mean Well: GST90A12-P1M 12 Volt 6.67 Amp 80 Watt. Data sheet showed max of 5% ripple, plus 89% efficiently. And I got it for 39 bucks.

TazExtreme3 - That motherboard looked like a great option. I already bought the other board before you commented. Plus the model I got has 3 sata ports, over the others 2. But thanks for throwing it out there.

Last edited:
Back