• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low RAC with SSSE3 SETI Optimizer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maddog39

Hey everyone,

I've read a few times about people getting around 15k RAC with a Q6600 running optimizers. But for some reason I can only ever get around 2k. The best RAC I have been able to get was at 2.8GHz and I got like 2,500-2,600 RAC. Ever since I got a new cooler, OC'd to 3.2GHz, added another 2 gigs of RAM (bringing me to 4) and switching to 64bit everything was downhill from there. Now I peak at around 2,000 RAC. I am running Ubuntu 64 with the SSSE3 AK v8.0 optimizer. Either way that number seems to be quite low compared to others' results. I've also experimented using various amount of RAM though doesnt make much of a difference.

-Alec

Something is certainly wrong.

1. Are you using the correct optimization for your CPU, and the non-graphics version?
2. Did you get the optimization dropped into the correct location?
3. Do you have your settings established to allow seti full use of the machine? (The use only if not busy can really kill your production numbers since the AV is always somewhat busy)
4. Do you have all optional programs and services disabled?

While some apps do run slower on Linux you still shouldn't experience that much of a drop compared to Windows. Looks like you're running about half what you should be.

Is Linux recognizing all four cores?

Did you check the settings in BOINC so it's running four cores at 95-100% when idle ...???

Something is certainly wrong.

1. Are you using the correct optimization for your CPU, and the non-graphics version?
2. Did you get the optimization dropped into the correct location?
3. Do you have your settings established to allow seti full use of the machine? (The use only if not busy can really kill your production numbers since the AV is always somewhat busy)
4. Do you have all optional programs and services disabled?
1. Yes, its the 64bit of the SSSE3 AK app and the Q6600 is SSSE3 supported.
2. If it wasnt in the correct location, it wouldnt be running and I have confirmed that the AK app is running in the process manager.
3. As far as I know I know, I allow it to have full control of the machine, especially since I'm sleeping or not here for atleast 14-16 hours of the day.

While some apps do run slower on Linux you still shouldn't experience that much of a drop compared to Windows. Looks like you're running about half what you should be.

Is Linux recognizing all four cores?

Did you check the settings in BOINC so it's running four cores at 95-100% when idle ...???
Yea, I made sure that there were 4 instances of the AK app running, using all CPU resources.

What's your CPU times for your workunits? At that speed, with SSE3 you should be getting medium units done in 40-45 minutes, with large workunits in 60-65. Even given the 5-10% difference over the Windoze client, you should still be well over 4k RAC at that speed. Even my old q6600 setup which had a horrible motherboard for quads, managed nearly 4k, and its closing in on 5k again now on the P45 board.

Last edited:
don't feel bad i only have a 2k rac on my brand new rig also and am using the newest ssse3x version i dunno what's wrong..
You just haven't given it enough time to build up the numbers. You were credited almost 28k this last week - that's ~4k/day and pretty close to where it should be. It'll take time to build up the RAC that far because of the way RAC is calculated.

Now you know why I use DAC (weekly credit / 7) instead of RAC as posted by BOINCStats and SETI@Home ... ;)

You just haven't given it enough time to build up the numbers. You were credited almost 28k this last week - that's ~4k/day and pretty close to where it should be. It'll take time to build up the RAC that far because of the way RAC is calculated.

Now you know why I use DAC (weekly credit / 7) instead of RAC as posted by BOINCStats and SETI@Home ... ;)

yea but that is with my laptop/desktop crunching... it's showing 4,310 rac right now.. and that's for both machines together i believe..

Back