• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Low temps during prime95 test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swingaduck

Registered
Hey, I recently bought a pc with an FX-4100 (crap i know but i didnt have a lot to spend) And I oc'd it up to 4.0Ghz, but my question is why are my temps so low? http://gyazo.com/f3b42f7d698401ad34f151ea8072b210 You can see my mobo temps are about usual, but my cpu only gets up to 32 degrees? why is this?

Spec:
Mobo: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
CPU: AMD FX-4100 oc'd to 4Ghz
Ram: 8Gb DDR3 1333mhz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7750
HDD: 500GB sata 2
Cooler : Stock cooler that came with cpu

With are my temps so low, especially with the stock cooler? I read that gigabyte's temps were quite accurate!

Last edited:
On the 3rd core in the pic you posted you have a failed worker I suspect you need slightly more core voltage to get stable which will increase your temps some from the voltage and some from the increased load on the cpu by it not erroring.

Oh yeah, It never failed the first test, but that was at 3.9, I'm fairly new to this, I've gone one setting up in bios and am retesting now, Thanks for noticing that :p

8k may be a part of that.. .but small fft stress the CPU and little ram.. blend does cpu and ram... if you are testing your CPU only, use small fft.

Ok, i ran prime95 blend again, not noticing your last post earth sorry, but it passed where it failed last time, all cores 100%, no fails, but the temp is still around the 30 degrees mark?

FX chips do not read temps well.. Im not sure why or what will read it accurately, but you can search around the site as I recall seeing that information somewhere (I know, helpful, LOL!)

haha, Indeed Earth, i generally add 10-15 degrees on to the temp i see now, and i dont think 45 is that hot for a stock cooler :p I'll just keep my eye on the temps.

You are also running on a severely outdated chipset on a low end board, it might just be reading the temps wrong. I haven't had issues with core temp reporting on either of my FX chips when using a 9xx series board.

I guess, like i said it was a budget system, overall it cost me £380 with windows 7 included, which i dont think is bad :L

Add 15c to the core temps as a reasonable offset. The FX CPUs typically report the core (package) temps about that much too low.

Add 15c to the core temps as a reasonable offset. The FX CPUs typically report the core (package) temps about that much too low.

umm , FX`s read wrong until you get to 45C, and you can run them without damage up to 62c (core)

umm , FX`s read wrong until you get to 45C, and you can run them without damage up to 62c (core)
How do i know what it is actually running at though? My BIOS temps are usually around 20-24C, But im not sure what load the CPU is under at that point? I ran prime95 for 4 hours and had no problems, max temp was 35C so I'm guessing it's stable?

with all my bulldozers I use 55c as read as "core temp" in hardware monitor as max for 24/7 and keep the "cpu temp" within 10c of that and that has served me well. core temps i let peak up to 62c.

Back